Archived Scanning IDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a conversation I had with a guest earlier this week.... after being called over by the cashier.
Guest: She is not touching my license and sure as hell NOT scanning it.
Me: Unfortunitly to be able to purchase your Alcohol, We need to verify your age by scanning your license.
Guest: WTF..... My license is my property and you can't do anything with it unless I give you permission.
Me: Well, the Budlight and Twisted Tea are my property until you buy it off of me and in order to do that you need to show your license and we need to validate your age.
Guest: I'm a cashier and I know for a fact you dont have to ID anyone for Alcohol..
Me: Really?... Where do you work so I can turn them in to the FBI...
Guest: Turns beat red and throws her license at me. (I would have kicked her out at that point, but it was almost $60 worth of alcohol) Sales...Sales.... Sales......

Guest ZERO, Me ONE

Wow, that's epic. GTC to you for being able to deal with that guest.

I have to say, neither one of you were quite right in that one.

In the state where I live, it is state law that you have to card for alcohol sales, regardless of age but that isn't the national norm.

The way it used to be here was it was at the discretion of the seller and from her reaction, I'm guessing that's how it still is where you are.

Not to say it's not policy where you work but I'm guessing it's not a law.

That said, her license IS NOT her property. It's the property of whatever state issued it.

I'm at an utter loss as to what their issue is with scanning their ID but I couldn't tell you how many times I've had someone rant and rave about that.

Not to be on the defensive side, but you should know all the facts before accusing someone of being wrong because indeed it is the LAW to ID anyone buying Alcohol in my state. No one should ever be as belligerent as she was. She thought by making a scene she was gonna get her way. Well, not with me........

Not to be on the defensive side, but you should know all the facts before accusing someone of being wrong because indeed it is the LAW to ID anyone buying Alcohol in my state. No one should ever be as belligerent as she was. She thought by making a scene she was gonna get her way. Well, not with me........

No need to be defensive at all.

I was working at a convenience store when they passed the mandatory ID law here.

The law was passed but it was X number of days before it went into effect.

The owner of the store decided to go ahead and make it store policy and so we were carding everyone while other stores weren't.

In the lovely period of time, I was screamed at, cursed at, had one customer spit on me and another start throwing beer bottles at me.

Trust me when I say that I've been in your shoes and I wasn't trying to attack you.

I am curious as to what state you're in?

I'm curious because the mandatory ID, regardless of age thing has always seemed totally retarded to me and I thought we were the only state doing that.

Two great examples of the retardness of it.

In one instance, I had to card a guy I went to high school with.

In another, a woman and her son, both of them longtime regular customers came in and bought some beer.

The son was in front of her and by law, I had to check his ID.

By law, after making sure he was old enough to buy beer, I had to check his MOTHER'S ID to make sure she was old enough.

It's a stupid law that accomplishes nothing but that said, they shouldn't be taking it out on you when you are one, just doing your job and two, could loose your job if you don't follow the law.

In my state, it's the law. We've had enough stings around here that the cashiers know they'd BETTER card.
Some guests always trot out the old "Well, XXX doesn't card!" Friends of mine that work there snort & say, "The he!! we don't!"

Had a guy today that had to go out to his car to get his ID. Then went on about how some store in FL used to require it but they got the managers number and he was overwhelmed with phone calls and they had to stop it. Then after ranting for awhile saying he wasn't mad at me and was never shopping in Tgt again. Bye and have a nice day.

So I guess it depends on the state whether or not they enforce/ID buyers?
They don't call us the state of denial for nuthin' :|

So I guess it depends on the state whether or not they enforce/ID buyers?
They don't call us the state of denial for nuthin' :|

If you mean the LAW, as opposed to Target policy then yes, it varies greatly from state to state.

I've no idea what Target corporate policy is but the laws regarding ID for age restricted products vary greatly.

Our state runs random sting operations to make sure stores are ID-ing anyone purchasing alcohol.
We've also convicted bartenders & party hosts who served someone obviously drunk who then drove & caused a fatality.

I've never been stinged either at Target or my overnight job at a gas station but I have it lucky at #2.... If you're obviously old enough or I know you are 21+ (even if you are only 21) I can sell you your poison. ;)

I maintain it's stupid law.

If you are obviously old enough, if I personally know you, if I've check your ID in the past, etc. then I should not have to continue to check your ID.

To make it even stupider and I'll say the state, I live in Tennessee.

We have one set of laws for beer and another for wine and hard liquor.

A store has to have a local permit to sell beer but they have to have a state license to sell liquor and if they sell liquor then they can't sell anything else.

Truly brilliant result is, if you come in my grocery store and you want to buy some beer, by law I HAVE to check your ID.

I could personally know you. I could know in the Biblical sense of knowing someone but by law, I'm still required to ID you every single time you purchase beer.

You could come in, buy a 6 pack, I check your ID, you come back two hours later and buy another 6 pack and by law, I again have to check your ID.

BUT...

If I'm working at a liquor store and you want to buy a half gallon of 100 proof whiskey, well that is entirely my discretion as to whether or not I check your ID.

It's a system so stupid that only politicians could come up with it.

As for stings, I've personally had about 4 run on me and I passed the test everytime.

Best one I've seen though, wasn't even run on me.

It was in summer and I was out on the floor finishing up a truck.

This girl came in, cute as hell, in short shorts and little tank top she was falling out of.

To start with, I was checking her out, then I was wondering if she was old enough for me to be checking her out and from there I wondered if she was old enough to buy the beer she was carrying.

The old man who was working the registered checked her ID and refused the sale.

I went over and asked him, just out of curiosity, how old was she?

She was 19.

I thought, hmm, I was checking her out, she saw me checking her out, why didn't she say something to me?

About that time a uniformed cop came in to thank us for "obeying the law."

I've no doubt they managed to bust plenty of guys who were looking at everything BUT her ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back