Archived Scheduling conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

crmcheezfiasco

Hardlines TM
Hi all!

So I'm a new TM (been here for a month and a half) and I'm having a little bit of a scheduling issue. I told my LOD/ETL who is charge of scheduling that I can't work Friday and Saturday closing shifts, as I have a sick family member who can't be left alone and my parents work at night. I am now scheduled only 1 day per week and I'm sort of confused as to how to bring this up to my LOD/ETL. Any recommendations?

Are you a minor? What is your availability otherwise? What department? Basically you need to talk to your ETL and explain the situation.

No, not a minor. I'm trained in all of hardlines and on cashier lanes. I explained to my ETL, but they said they hired me for my open schedule. In the interview, I said I could work weekends, but had no idea I would be closing (which are the nights I watch my grandfather).

Are you a minor? What is your availability otherwise? What department? Basically you need to talk to your ETL and explain the situation.

Also, I'm available to close all week besides Friday and Saturday nights. I can also work during the day 7 days/week.

Once you've stated in your application that you "had" open availablity, that's why you are being scheduled on Friday/Saturdays. Those along with Sundays are the BUSIEST times in retail. To only work Monday-Thursday and only get a schedule you particularly like/want is very rare. You being new (under a year with Spot) is considered new. You will get shifts nobody wants/really cares for.

Once you've stated in your application that you "had" open availablity, that's why you are being scheduled on Friday/Saturdays. Those along with Sundays are the BUSIEST times in retail. To only work Monday-Thursday and only get a schedule you particularly like/want is very rare. You being new (under a year with Spot) is considered new. You will get shifts nobody wants/really cares for.

I understand that I'm new, and it's not that I "want" a different schedule. I need it to take care of my grandfather.

Should I just tell them I have the situation under control and just try to find someone to watch my grandfather so I can work?

Being in your 90 days, typically you are stuck to that schedule. If there are circumstances that may change your schedule during that time, it suggested you explain everything to the STL, your ETL and HR.

I sympathize with you because of your family situation but your store is completely in the right.

When you are hired you sign an availability you agree to work. Generally in the first 90 days they don't accept changes.

My store has been burned by people who say they are open availablity then they want to work 8 to 430 Monday thru Friday.

My advice to you. Talk to HR and try to give shifts away but realize the store may put their foot down. If they do, try to get grandparent duty another day and have someone else take Friday Saturday.

It's generally not realistic to get Friday thru Sunday off in retail. Especially when you are new.

Unfortunately, you were hired in large part due to your availability. If you knew you couldn't work Friday and Saturday nights before you were hired, then your availability should have reflected that.

In some stores they will just let you go if you tell them you need to restrict your availability shortly after being hired. At least your store is keeping you on and letting you have off the times you need.

It sounds terribly sketch but I don't think your request is unreasonable; it's not that you can't work Fri & Sat - just Fri & Sat closes.
Talk to your HR & stress that you are available to close any OTHER night & you can work open/mid on Fri & Sat but Fri & Sat nights you're trying to help family.

You can always talk to your etl, etl hor or srtl hr. Just explain to them what is going on. Your leadership may be willing and able to help you come up with a solution that works for you and them. I will also add its nice that you are willing to step in and take care of your grandfather. Not everyone would be willing to do that .

During my 90 days back in 2000, I had to take leave for almost 2 weeks for ENT surgery and recovery. My store was able to excuse.

During my 90 days back in 2000, I had to take leave for almost 2 weeks for ENT surgery and recovery. My store was able to excuse.

I'm not sure you can compare taking time off due to your own health problems to changing your availability to help a non dependent.

The store has to respect your health issues

Last edited:
talking to someone doesn't mean its approved. LOD's only deal with today's call outs, nothing about future issues. etl, tl, hr might make your schedule. i've approved a lot of stuff because it worked with what i needed. want to only close? want to only open? sure i needed those.

i always say if its not in your approved availability, you aren't scheduled against your availability.

I don't want to be that one team member but why didn't you include this info in your interview. I hate when someone tells me they have open availabilty but rely on the bus for transportation. You then don't have open availabilty! I tell people they can't change their availability in the 1st 90 days.

"I have open availability but my area has no established public transport and I have to find a ride to work every time because I can't drive!"

I don't want to be that one team member but why didn't you include this info in your interview. I hate when someone tells me they have open availabilty but rely on the bus for transportation. You then don't have open availabilty! I tell people they can't change their availability in the 1st 90 days.
They say this because their scared they won't get hired. I also take the bus and said open because worse come to worse I'll walk.

I've given more than one TM a lift home if they missed the bus or it's too late for them to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back