SD asked me why I updated my resume on Indeed?!

Hey guys! So to cut to the chase, my SD sat me down and buttered me up with how well I've been performing in my area, where I've grown this past year, the usual stuff. He went above and beyond in recognition (which has never been a strong quality in him), and then stated "I need to know why you updated your resume on Indeed."

I was in shock. I didn't have words for him. Was me logging in and updating a profile that, for goodness sake, I don't even have a headshot uploaded such a big deal that a regional HR business partner had to investigate and send my boss an email telling him to "figure out what is going on?"

This was too much. I cried. I wasn't mad at my SD, but I was furious. This felt... wrong. So, so wrong. And if someone in HR was concerned for my well being and retention, why weren't they reaching out to me directly?

To put it frankly, I had a bad few weeks, and pushed through them. My SD even commended me on how well I ran the store while he was out on vacation. I have never once made anyone think I am unhappy here. Stressed sometimes, yes. And after that stressful week, I humored myself an hour after work one day and logged into Indeed to see what's out there and attach a resume that was (in all ways) better than my old college-student profile.

[Truthfully, if there is anything that makes my job frustrating it's the lack of support, direction, and the constant "I'm never good enough" feeling I get from my SD. There's more, but that's enough itself. And yes, my HRBP knows how I feel.)

Now at this point, I feel trapped. I get that "the company wants to protect itself from potential sudden loss" but I also feel like this was very extreme, and quite honestly, I feel super violated with this breach of privacy. I feel that I should be allowed to investigate other venues of employment without Spot being nose-deep in what I am doing. And if I'm that valuable, why is the one person who is responsible for the dissatisfaction I have in my job doing the investigate work and not a HR representative?

Thoughts?

Maybe you mentioned it to one of your (rat) co-workers? Keep your mouth shut, at all times. This isn't North Korea, tell them in a nice way (if possible) that it is none of their fucking business.

You just look at them and "Don't make me use that updated resume." and walk away.

SAVAGE.

Maybe you mentioned it to one of your (rat) co-workers? Keep your mouth shut, at all times. This isn't North Korea, tell them in a nice way (if possible) that it is none of their fucking business.

And no, I never once mentioned it to a peer.

Maybe, spot is reducing headcount at the op's store. It's not an invasion of privacy. I think that spot checks up on everyone.

My leadership headcount is pretty hard-set. I'm in a Small Format and we are actually nearing the promotion of a peer, so that would not be fun for my store to try and find 2 replacements. I just think the whole situation was handled very poorly.

For this type of behavior, creepy is an understatement. More like an example of Big Brother at its worst. I agree that Spot leadership handled this poorly, and stupidly, really. What type of useful response did the SD expect to get by asking the OP why she updated her resume online that he couldn’t have gotten by asking about her future career plans? It’s not like either question will elicit anything other than a vague response or complete denial, and not mentioning the resume would have dialed down the suspicion and shock while eliciting the same (lack of) information as simply asking the question. Mentioning that Spot monitors resumes on Indeed gives the game away, not many people are going to spill their guts to their boss after hearing that, but will be more guarded, suspicious, and careful about revealing information in the future. Maybe if Spot treated their team better they wouldn’t have to be so paranoid about losing them. What’s next, looking in people’s windows and sifting through their garbage?

I wonder, what about the question made you so upset that you cried? Were they accusatory in their tone? It sounds to me like they don't want to lose you. I would definitely be shocked at first that they checked on my LinkedIn, but the point of LinkedIn is to make your resume and experience public.

Even if your SD is a tool, it sounds like your HRBP wants to keep you around.

Unsettling but not an invasion of privacy. Spot may have just been hunting for new people to recruit and your info popped up because it matched the searched criteria.

I would have told the SD I wasn't planning on leaving Spot in the foreseeable future, but that I was just doing what career employment experts recommend: "Update your CV every few months to constantly keep track of your responsibilities and skills set."

While in the legal sense it's not an invasion of privacy, it is very troubling that Target is actively searching out their employees' digital personal info. It'd be like posting a picture of your small child eating cherry pie on Facebook and then the next day your SD asking if you used an Up & Up product to get the red stains out of your child's shirt. Yeah, not a legal invasion of privacy but why the hell is it any of their business and why the hell do they have their nose so deep into your non-work past times? And after shock comes fear because they are seeking out and actively watching you.

If your SD gets to ask you about your LinkedIn, you're 100% in the clear to ask who has been looking you up and why. Screening potential new hires is one thing, but what information is he lacking about a current, well-established employee's work ethic and skills? What questions does he have about you that he can't ask you in person?

The big question here: has your SD actually offered you a pay raise or some other special incentive (i.e. cash bonus) as a pre-emptive deterrent to your potential exit?

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". This is precisely why Target is losing capable staff like yourself, in a thriving job market with the lowest unemployment rate in five decades. Do ya think anyone at Corporate has the noggins to figure this out?

to figure what out, allowing store managers to just offer raises or bonuses to people to get them to not quit??
It happens in many other places. "X employee is really, really good at his job and training a replacement will be a nightmare on the scale of Freddy Krueger moving in. I better find out what is lacking here that is making X feel devalued and see what needs to be done to fix it. If it's simply not feeling appreciated and X's pay isn't crazy high, a one time cash payment will not cost me much and will make X feel he is recognized for his efforts."

Yes but as we all know, retail is not rocket science, and we are all replaceable. Stores may hit bumps if someone quits unexpectedly but they will get over the bumps and carry on just fine.

Everyone loves the fantasy: "I will show them! One of these days I will just tell them to fuq off and just walk out the door! They will be screwed! What will they do then, huh? Mwahaha!"

We know what they will do. They will shake their heads, and then shake it off and move on.

JFC, your SD was checking out people's profiles on job sites? Who the fuck has time for that? If your SD does then it sounds like the store could cope with losing a leader or two and give him something to do.
The OP said that while the SD was the one who talked to him, it was the HRBP that told the SD about the resume update. So it seems it's actually the HRBP that has too little to do.

Back