I'm Lost! Seasonal Hire Dilemma

Should I :

• Stay at Target

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take other job

Votes: 11 100.0%

• Total voters
I just got hired as a seasonal employee and have orientation next week (Most likely because my godmother put who works there put in a good word for me). Although I have a problem I have had a vacation planned to go to San Antonio for two months already. November 29th(Black Friday) till December 1st. I have non refundable tickets to Six Flags. I told the woman that interviewed me about the planned vacation and she said those are the busiest days therefore if I couldn’t work them she couldn’t offer me the position to be a cashier/guest advocate. I thought that I could switch my vacation around but turns out those tickets only count for that weekend. Which means I can only go to San Antonio on those dates. And the lady also mentioned if I call in I will automatically be terminated. Is it possible that most likely someone will cover shifts that I might have that weekend?
And then I also have a job offer somewhere else that is not seasonal that could possibly give me those dates off. But I would be making 4 dollars less than what target is offering. But I was wondering how likely I would be hired as a permanent employee considering that my godmother has worked there for two years and that I might have people cover those vacation days.
So I have no idea if I should stick with the job at target or go ahead and accept the other offer from the other job. And if I did turn down target after already getting hired would I be able to reapply and get hired in the future with the same location?

No one will be able to cover the shift as everyone will already be scheduled. It’s retail. Those are the busiest days of the year. If you can’t work those days, they won’t need you. I would accept the position outside target that will give you those times off, especially if it is important to have this vacation time to go to six flags.

The only way people can cover your shifts those days, are if they are willing to work a double on those days. Super unlikely. Especially since a lot of people will already be at 40 hours for the week and won't even be able to pick up shifts without them being overtime.

Do not take the position at Target unless you intend to skip the vacation. Taking it and calling off will get you fired, but more importantly, will reflect negatively upon your godmother as well.

Seasonal positions becoming permanent positions is incredibly likely, but not if you call off on Black Friday.

Last edited:
Take the other job that *might* give you those days off. Guaranteed hours are better than a higher pay rate. Do not even for 1 second consider just NOT GOING on vacation. After all a vacation is way more important than paying bills.
Thank you for answering! I don’t know if you’re being sarcastic though. I should probably mention I’m still a teenager so I don’t really have any bills to pay. And how should I approach target to let them know I found another job considering that they already hired me?

The only way people can cover your shifts those days, are if they are willing to work a double on those days. Super unlikely. Especially since a lot of people will already be at 40 hours for the week and won't even be able to pick up shifts without them being overtime.

Do not take the position at Target unless you intend to skip the vacation. Taking it and calling off will get you fired, but more importantly, will reflect negatively upon your godmother as well.

Seasonal positions becoming permanent positions is incredibly likely, but not if you call off on Black Friday.
Thank you that information definitely helps! I just want to get advice on how I should go about telling them I decided to take another job offer considering that target just hired me? Also do you think target might re-hire me in the future?

No one will be able to cover the shift as everyone will already be scheduled. It’s retail. Those are the busiest days of the year. If you can’t work those days, they won’t need you. I would accept the position outside target that will give you those times off, especially if it is important to have this vacation time to go to six flags.
Thank you for replying! You helped out tremendously! And it’s just that my boyfriend and I tried going to Six Flags in February for his birthday and spent over $300 on these tickets. The day we went it was raining and we arrived there just for them to tell us they were closing the park for the day and we couldn’t go the next day because that’s when we were going to make our 6 hour drive back home. So they issued us tickets that expire on the 30th of November. And I don’t want to just waste all that money for nothing.

Italics is sarcasm here. Idk, most people just don't show up. Call HR and let them know another opportunity came up that better suited you. There's no way to avoid it looking bad on you, at least a little, at this point. The fact that you're a teenager actually helps b/c people understand you'll make decisions now that you wouldn't make if you were a more responsible adult. Good luck.

Italics is sarcasm here. Idk, most people just don't show up. Call HR and let them know another opportunity came up that better suited you. There's no way to avoid it looking bad on you, at least a little, at this point. The fact that you're a teenager actually helps b/c people understand you'll make decisions now that you wouldn't make if you were a more responsible adult. Good luck.
Well thank you. Trust me if I did have bills to pay I would stay with target. But as a teen and a full time college student spending over $300 dollars on those tickets is ALOT of money for me down the drain. And the position would only be seasonal anyway.

Tell Target that you were offered a permanent position. Don't mention the vacation as a reason.

Tell Target that you would prefer to work there but since it is a seasonal position you don't want to take the risk of not being needed come January. As a college student with tuition, books, etc., a permanent year round position is needed. Also, tell Target that the other job is guaranteeing you 20+ hours per week year-round. Even if you were kept at Target after the season, could they guarantee you that many hours each week.

Basically, word it in a way that would force Target to match the other jobs offer. If Target would guarantee you a permanent year-round position with at least 20+ hours per week, you would stay. If not, you have to take the permanent position over the 2 month seasonal position.

If the HR person has a brain, they will understand the difference of a permanent position versus a 2 month seasonal position.

Hey way to go....thanks for wasting everyone's time interviewing you and making your godmother look bad in the process....enjoy that important weekend

So sacrifice self and education and good job at the altar of work for a job you haven't even accepted.

You do realize that interviews aren't one sided, right? Interviews are just as much for the person being interviewed, to give them opportunity to see if they even like that company and if it's a place they want to work, or if they should decline the offer and keep looking. The business is being interviewed too, and could be rejected.

Back