Seasonal requesting days off

ok so i’m working as a seasonal. on the paper they asked me about specific days i can work. so like usually around dec 28-jan 2 i go up to nyc because we have a celebration for my auntie passing due to her cancer. i was wondering will they give me those days off and i actually brought the ticket already and i know it’s going be a bad look because i just got hired

there is no guarantee on anything, but the sooner you put in a request for time off, the better. i recently submitted a request for a similar reason and it was approved (granted mine is not around the holiday season). it doesn't necessarily look bad because it is something that you know far enough in advance that they should be able to help out. if you're too worried, don't be afraid to go into HR and speak with them about it. I'm sorry for your loss

It will probably be fine but ask now, not later. First to ask gets the day off on my team. And I don’t differentiate between seasonal and permanent (unless it’s particularly odd, like seasonal requesting a whole week between Thanksgiving and Christmas.)

First, as HLM just posted, you should have mentioned this during the hiring process (Although, last year at my store, I know people did this and management just scheduled them anyway. Three good seasonals left because of it.)

Second, it is after Christmas so we aren't really that busy. So, they should be able to accommodate you.

Third, the past few years we started getting rid of seasonals right after Christmas, The situation may take care of itself. You may be let go before those dates.

In any event, go talk to your ETL and explain the situation. If they say OK, put in for the days off through Workbench (ask your HRTM how to do it). Then keep checking to see if it was approved. If after a couple of weeks it hasn't been, remind your ETL. Do not assume they will have approved it, because if they don't approve it in a certain amount of time, it will be auto-denied.

Well you might wanna ask now especially considering it’s around New Year’s Eve/ New Years. I would butter up that team leader/ Hr or whoever does the scheduling. Some how I doubt they give you the time off since it so much time and your new.

I think every store is different when it comes to this, but as an example, one of the seasonal cart attendants (front of store attendants) is going on a three-week vacation in the near future. The only reason I can think of that HR approved his vacation was because they were desperate for cart attendants since so many quit/were terminated.

Back