Archived Security Cameras in the bathroom....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it was brought to my attention today that a fellow employee caught our AP TL and his little puppy (a guy that is shadowing him or something) installing security cameras in the bathroom in the backroom/receiving.

Is this LEGAL??

This just seems extremely wrong to me.

As if we don't have much privacy already at times.

Thoughts?

There must be some high-level theft going on if they got approval for that.
Unless your guys are light-lipped & don't gossip, there's gonna be a whole lotta ugly on camera...

Uh as far as I know there is some law against bathroom security camera's in all 50 states... At least every state I have been in it is...

I have no idea how they would have EVER gotten approval for that...

So it was brought to my attention today that a fellow employee caught our AP TL and his little puppy (a guy that is shadowing him or something) installing security cameras in the bathroom in the backroom/receiving.

Is this LEGAL??

This just seems extremely wrong to me.

As if we don't have much privacy already at times.

Thoughts?

Uh as far as I know there is some law against bathroom security camera's in all 50 states... At least every state I have been in it is...

I have no idea how they would have EVER gotten approval for that...

They would have never gotten approval for this. No cameras are allowed in bathrooms, and no cameras can see into the dressing room. We only get a one camera to see who walks into that area but thats it. I would be calling a hotline or bringing this up with the STL. This is not allowed, and the APTL should be fired for this.

It depends on the state law. We do not have cameras in break room, and restrooms
We have a dome in our break room. Allows me to see the flow team members who steal the tv remote...

it's for your own good people, they are doing this for your protection!
I have never heard of someone being attacked in the bathroom. They are doing this because there terrible and desperate AP.

Nice try, but that is HIGHLY illegal and cannot be done. Now, they could be putting a dummy dome in there. 80% of the domes in the stores are dummies anyway.

If they think people are going into that bathroom to conceal merchandise, they MAY have put up a dome (which is EMPTY), or PRETENDED to put up a pinhole camera (which would not be real). Even that would be very, very unlikely, simply because of the insane drama they'd be causing in the process. Preventing a little bit of theft would not be worth the inevitable calls to the police, the media, etc.

There's no way they actually installed a camera. Period.

You know how much Target will get sued for that?

Apparently Walmart was already sued for just this thing. I found an interesting article on http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/12/walmart-sued/ So my feeling is they were just trying to make people believe they had a camera there. Although that could leave them open to a law suit too. As a woman, can you imagine how you'd feel coming out of the stall to look up into what you think is a camera. I for one would be royally pissed and demand to see the manager and a lawyer, not necessarily in that order.

Nice try, but that is HIGHLY illegal and cannot be done. Now, they could be putting a dummy dome in there. 80% of the domes in the stores are dummies anyway.

If they think people are going into that bathroom to conceal merchandise, they MAY have put up a dome (which is EMPTY), or PRETENDED to put up a pinhole camera (which would not be real). Even that would be very, very unlikely, simply because of the insane drama they'd be causing in the process. Preventing a little bit of theft would not be worth the inevitable calls to the police, the media, etc.

There's no way they actually installed a camera. Period.

Insiteful1, I dare you to come into my AP Office. I work at a super target store and I can see down every single aisle. Years & Years ago we had zero camera coverage in domestics and grocery. But Spot caught on and installed domes over those aisles. There are no blind spots anymore.

PTL, were not allowed to just grab some random camera and put it up. The store comes with a set of box style cams that fit into those plastic blace domes. I am allowed to move them over to different sections if I want to. But I can't take something from ebay and plug it up into the dvr, I would get fired...

Doesn't some intense wiring need to be done to connect a camera to the rest of the securty setup?

PTL, were not allowed to just grab some random camera and put it up. The store comes with a set of box style cams that fit into those plastic blace domes. I am allowed to move them over to different sections if I want to. But I can't take something from ebay and plug it up into the dvr, I would get fired...

Um... k? How is that related to what I said about putting up empty domes and fake cameras?

(I'm well aware of how AP works, as I've been with Target for ten years and actually had a roommate in AP for quite a few of them...)

Insiteful1, I dare you to come into my AP Office. I work at a super target store and I can see down every single aisle. Years & Years ago we had zero camera coverage in domestics and grocery. But Spot caught on and installed domes over those aisles. There are no blind spots anymore.

I didn't say anything about coverage. I simply said there are a boatload of dummy domes :)

I didn't say anything about coverage. I simply said there are a boatload of dummy domes :)

True. One night I was helping the TPS find someone and I was asking why he couldnt just use a camera that I knew was right on top of them. Then he told me about how the stores got alot of dummies.

In my forensics background, cameras in bathrooms and fitting rooms are illegal in all 50 states. People have an expectation of privacy in those areas.

Cameras can be situated to view people entering/leaving bathrooms and fitting rooms. But never inside.

Doesn't some intense wiring need to be done to connect a camera to the rest of the securty setup?
Yes a power and video cable must be run from the AP Office to the dome. Without it the camera just won't work.
Um... k? How is that related to what I said about putting up empty domes and fake cameras?
What I should have said is we just don't have pinhole cameras. All we have is these and a few mini dome cameras near the doors. I can order more plastic domes, but I can't take a pinhole camera and put it up somewhere. I can only use what we have.
View attachment 219
Almost all of those domes are real. The few that were fake were located in domestics and grocery. Now the only fake domes being used are for the few aisles were one dome watch's two aisles. It looks better if each aisle has its own dome instead of one dome for 2 aisles.

True. One night I was helping the TPS find someone and I was asking why he couldnt just use a camera that I knew was right on top of them. Then he told me about how the stores got alot of dummies.
You must be in a older store or something. In the newer or older renovated stores there are very few fake domes still in use.
In my forensics background, cameras in bathrooms and fitting rooms are illegal in all 50 states. People have an expectation of privacy in those areas.
Cameras can be situated to view people entering/leaving bathrooms and fitting rooms. But never inside.
We do have cameras mounted so we can see people going in the fitting rooms and walking near the bathrooms.

Almost all of those domes are real. The few that were fake were located in domestics and grocery. Now the only fake domes being used are for the few aisles were one dome watch's two aisles. It looks better if each aisle has its own dome instead of one dome for 2 aisles.

You must be in a older store or something. In the newer or older renovated stores there are very few fake domes still in use.

We do have cameras mounted so we can see people going in the fitting rooms and walking near the bathrooms.

You must be in either a very new store or a very special store because in the 2 stores I worked TPS in over 45% of the domes were dummies... It just wouldn't make sense to have to try and monitor over 250+ camera's in a store, let alone have the storage space available for all of the many hard drive stacks and computers to run and store all of that media. You must have a gigantic computer/server/dvr room...

You must be in either a very new store or a very special store because in the 2 stores I worked TPS in over 45% of the domes were dummies... It just wouldn't make sense to have to try and monitor over 250+ camera's in a store, let alone have the storage space available for all of the many hard drive stacks and computers to run and store all of that media. You must have a gigantic computer/server/dvr room...

Indeed.

And there are definitely pinhole cameras available that will interface with our (industry-standard, run-of-the-mill) camera/DVR system. You may need to get BP approval and/or IC partnership to special order them, but they certainly exist, and are in use as we speak.

DVR's??? We use tapes lol.

And there are pinhole cameras for that system, too ;) In fact, I can show you where they used to live in my electronics stockroom the next time you're in my store ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back