• Offer Layaway

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Change Name to "Targeted Savings Plus Mart"

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Remove tiled floor and have exposed concrete instead

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Put a McDonalds in the store

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Remove registers and replace them with a pen, calculator, and a notepad of paper.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Ensure all carts have at least ONE busted wheel.

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
Self check out lanes are flawed technology. Generally speaking, unless you already have experience in retail, and you're buying something more complex than just 30 cans of Tuna, you're probably going to run into issues with these machines. Recently, grocery store chains have started removing their "Self Check Out" lanes due to significant decreases in customer satisfaction, increases in theft, and the simple fact that they're inefficient, don't save time or money, and still require someone to operate them.

You think the fact that companies are getting rid of these would be a big enough clue that they've been unsuccessful. I guess Target didn't quite get that. Not only that, but they're supporting a failed system...while not even doing ANYTHING new to improve the Self Checkout Experience. And here is why...

-No center console for a cashier to monitor all 4 SCOs at once.

-The SCO's are "behind" the cashiers. Without a designated attendant, often guests have to yell for help because everyone has their backs turned from the SCOs.

-No one is scheduled to monitor the SCOs.

-A typical Target transaction is complex. Guests will always have trouble with coupons, mobile coupons, apps, cartwheel, and prices adjustments.

-Guest service (aka VIBE) is now dust in the wind and directly contradicts what we're expected and coached to do as a cashier.

-ZERO opportunity to educate about RedCards or cartwheel, yet no adjustments have been made to RedCard goals for the portion of guests going through SCOs.​

Congratulations Target! Oh, you have Adam LibbeeeWhatever releasing his fancy plaid designer clothes now? Oh how upscale! Can't wait to ring these up at the dirty Self Checkout with no bags. So fancy. When will Nordstrom or Macy's get these? Oh guess what, they never will.

Last edited by a moderator:
@commiecorvus or @Barcode or @Retail Girl or whomever else has the power to do so....can you please fix the Title of this to "Self Check Outs: Why Target Missed the Big Read Ball". There is an "IS" in there that shouldn't be there. Whoopsie!

Here's the full Maddox link:
Self-checkout lanes are for idiots.

I remain surprised that Target moved to these things because this is the EXACT reason they said they wouldn't use them over 10 years ago,

Clause they wanted to cut labor costs more, 10yrs ago they sort of cared about their customer, they don't anymore. Just a walking wallet to them now.

At times they help in that the calls for back up have lessened, especially furing tge furst few opening hours. OTOH, the GSTL/GSAs have been running ragged with their normal duties and the SCOs.

As a Cash Office TM, I'm glad they added more payroll hours for us to count.

I had a guest actually ask me the other night where the self check outs were. Even after I pointed to the 3 cashier lanes that were completely empty, he still wast annoyed we didn't have self check out. Really? Pompous jerk.

Anyway, I find it interesting that some Walmarts are getting rid of them or no longer using them. What does that tell you?

I so hope I am gone before these become a reality at my store.

haha, "Anyone who likes self checkout can self checkout of life." :D

That Maddox guy has some anger in him.

Our closest competitor is a grocery store chain that is a few stores down on the same strip mall. They had all their self checkouts removed when the bosses announced we were getting them. The grocery workers take pity on us LOL.

Was in line behind someone commiting coupon fraud yesterday at BJ's. They would scan a coupon then put a different coupon in the slot, after they finished all their coupons they tried to swipe some of the coupons again. Then they had the nerve to call over the check lane managers because they wouldn't scan again, person asked them if they already scanned them, then overrode the coupons to work again!:(

All the stores in my area are just getting theirs. My store has 4, only has 2 open at once, and the same number of cashiers are there as usual. And my district is one of the busiest in the company because of our location(Sorry not telling) and the income around here. I don't see any problems taking the pressure off hardlines team members during the rush since not one of our registers was removed for the new check outs.

We've had them a few months now. Guests refuse to use them, so lines still back up and we still need to call for back up. We run with fewer cashiers since we got the SCOs too, some days with as few as 8 cashier. We are an A volume store too.

Local grocery chain that has SCO is getting rid of them

All the stores in my area are just getting theirs. My store has 4, only has 2 open at once, and the same number of cashiers are there as usual. And my district is one of the busiest in the company because of our location(Sorry not telling) and the income around here. I don't see any problems taking the pressure off hardlines team members during the rush since not one of our registers was removed for the new check outs.

We just lost four lanes to install self checkouts. Black Friday is going to be fun. Being shorthanded is the norm, cashiers we hire don't seem to want to work so call outs are always an issue. Self check outs are just going to make it worse.

We just lost four lanes to install self checkouts. Black Friday is going to be fun. Being shorthanded is the norm, cashiers we hire don't seem to want to work so call outs are always an issue. Self check outs are just going to make it worse.

We lost 6 lanes to 'acquire' 4 SCO. And yes, Black Thursday and Black Friday will be lotsa fun.

As hours get tight, I promise you they will cut cashier hours and have hardliners come up and back up as usual, if not even more. Enjoy that.

I use the SCO at Walmart because their cashiers have no idea how to bag like items together and I hate having 15 bags with 3 items in them. I always use the SCO so I can bag all of the cold/freezer items together, canned food together, etc. Plus I can double bag what I feel like. lol
And yes, I'm one of those people who doesn't feel the need for face to face contact every time I want to buy some milk and bread. I'm in. I'm out. Done.

My store ALWAYS has long lines, so I'm excited at the thought of having Self Check when I have one item when I'm on break or on my way out of the store for the day.

Clause they wanted to cut labor costs more, 10yrs ago they sort of cared about their customer, they don't anymore. Just a walking wallet to them now.

They're getting ahead of the curve by cutting labor costs since there is such a huge push for a $15 minimum wage, which has already taken effect in several markets.

Once the wage hits $15 and half the people on this board lose their jobs to self checkouts, I'm sure people will be singing a different tune ;)

Honestly Target does pretty good customer service even now, they have one of the best return policies, and are usually pretty flexible with making exceptions for customers (vibe). I wouldn't go as far as saying Target doesn't care about customers.

Once the wage hits $15 and half the people on this board lose their jobs to self checkouts, I'm sure people will be singing a different tune ;)
When Target starts losing customers (who abhor self-checkout) & theft goes up, I'm sure THEY'LL be singing a different tune.
They've been steadily cutting hours since Bob stepped down & Gregg came on board.
The push for wage increases only gives them a reason do it at a faster pace.

When Target starts losing customers (who abhor self-checkout) & theft goes up, I'm sure THEY'LL be singing a different tune.
They've been steadily cutting hours since Bob stepped down & Gregg came on board.
The push for wage increases only gives them a reason do it at a faster pace.

For just as many people who hate SCO, there are just as many who like it. Theft is inevitable, but with properly managed SCO it can be minimized.

I doubt it would make much of an impact either way on Target's business, other than the fact they will have cheaper labor costs.

WalMart has had them for a while, and even though it isn't my favorite place to shop (SCO isn't the reason), they seem to be thriving and doing fine.

Target cutting hours/positions is something every business goes through -- they find ways to lower costs and improve efficiency which makes their business run more smoothly, and net greater profits. Even with reduced hours at my last store we were still able to achieve our goals and the store ran smoothly.

If Target maintained their SCO as well as Wally (& Wally DOES keep close supervision on theirs), they might stand a chance.
BUT after reading about all the cuts to AP & knowing how spot tends to yank essential personnel I don't think this is going to turn out well.

I agree with Barcode. We have 4 units and they do relieve the pressure on the check out lanes, as intended. We closely monitor their use and have discouraged theft and eased frustration by engaging the guests using them. Like them or not, I think they are here to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back