Service & Engagement Self-checkout social distancing -- or lack thereof

Our guests are very compliant with mask wearing rules, but they seem clueless about social distancing at self checkout. This gets particularly bad when a guest needs help with an age-restricted ID or other assistance. You would assume with all the COVID guidelines our guests shouldn't have to be reminded to social distance when we are coming to log in to the SCO register to help them. Some other TMs don't care but the info we have is that social distancing does reduce cross-infection. I become annoyed at having to frequently ask, in a gentle but firm tone, the guest to social distance.

Usually I'll say politely "pardon me" or something that subtly gets the point across, and something like "sorry, can I get a bit of space?" in a genuine, friendly tone with smize. That seems to do the trick, and often people are just not thinking about distancing. Once that occurs to them, they give a little space, even if it isn't really 6 feet it helps.

It's also tricky to do line busting. Not going to pretend I can line bust 5 figures per week and realistically follow distancing guidelines.

I told a Karen in Wegmans to please stand farther away from me, she was too close. I didn't ask, I told. Got an eye roll suitable for framing, a little exhalation, a huff and a puff but no words. Their ginger seltzer water no sugar no artificial sweeteners, is very nice.

So when covid started and we still didn't know what we were dealing with, we would just ask people if they kinda step back so you could access the machine.

Walmart lets you fix their issues right from your Zebra. Crazy that Target doesn't have such a thing.
Target is the only retailer I've seen that just has a person just kind of stand in the vicinity of the SCO, instead of having a little kiosk of their own with monitors showing all the SCO machines so they can fix problems from there. It's weird.

Back