Archived SEXIST team lead????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired on as a seasonal remodel team member. Our project is coming to an end, and a few of us have been selected to stay on, and we were told today where they would like to place us. I was told i would be on a 4am-12pm team, however I requested a certain team because of the hours, as 4am-12pm will interfere with my school schedule in the upcoming semester. I jokingly told a member of the team i wished to be on that he did not put in a good word for me. He replied "Our *team leader* doesn't really like girls on our team because they're a 'distraction'." I started to ask around the store, amd they confirmed that this team leader has in fact made sexist comments in the past. Is he allowed to do this? Can I really be barred from a certain team because I am a girl?

Last edited:
All remodel seasonals who are retained get reassigned not where they want to go but where they are needed. It's not like they hired you as a cashier and are trying to move you.

He replied "Our *team leader* doesn't really like girls on our team because their a 'distraction'." I started to ask around the store, amd they confirmed that this team leader has in fact made sexist comments in the past

While if true, this is unfortunate and against policy. However you haven't offered much in evidence.

You telling a leader that you "heard" someone is sexist isn't concrete evidence and they will assume you are just a malcontent.

Can I really be barred from a certain team because I am a girl?

Of course not. There are plenty of females on this site in male dominated positions (backroom, electronics, AP/TPS). That said not everyone has good store leadership.

If you truly can't do the 4am to 1230, let them know this. Your options are

Consider working weekends only
Ask to transfer
Leave and reapply in 90 days.

You can't really force your way into a position although you can talk to the ETL instead of the TL and see if they would accept you

Last edited:
I started to ask around the store, amd they confirmed that this team leader has in fact made sexist comments in the past. Is he allowed to do this? Can I really be barred from a certain team because I am a girl?

What the hell do you think? You think anyone is going to say, "yeah of course he can do that." He obviously can't so why ask such a useless question.

This story is turning into, "I don't want to work mornings, can I call my boss sexist to get out of it?"

See what the makeup of that team is.
Are there no women on the team?
If that is the case, then a hotline call is in order.
Keeping one gender off a team is discrimination.
If the TL is a like you say, they probably do have female members but only in certain roles, like softlines to get around the rules.

I thought this thread said "Sexiest team lead???", I was sadly disappointed... You have to build a case against the person in question when it comes to a situation like this. Remember what the Virginia strike started out as. Be prepared for shit slinging if you bring this up.

Is it really that hard to believe? I'm sure there are plenty of stores that only have female members on the style and beauty teams, so it really isn't a stretch to think that there are TLs who think that only guys should be on certain teams as well.

It's not hard to believe at all. The discussion isn't about her TL, it's about why she's caring about it now. The OP hasn't personally experienced any discrimination for being a woman, at least not yet. She's going entirely on what other people have told her. Her issue is a scheduling conflict, nothing more.

I'm not saying I doubt your claims, but I do believe if you have scheduling issues, you should bring it up. In the end, there is no room for bias, favoritism, and sexism in a workplace, and that TL will be upheld to make sure you can be on the 4-12pm flow schedule since it fits your schedule.

She is experiencing it if she was denied a spot on a particular team because the TL for that team doesn't want any females on it. And really, what else can she go on if she's new and potentially experiencing sexism? Of course she's going to listen to those who've been there long enough to experience it themselves.

It's not like she can just ask the TL: he'd lie about it if it's true and just give an excuse.

She's being unprofessional treating gossip as fact and not going to HR with her availability concerns.

There's gossip all over this forum, mate. It couldn't exist without it, or hearsay. That's all literally anyone here is producing. "I overheard this from an ETL." "My STL said this!" "Going forward, this is what's going to happen. My email said so."

If you're really interested in fighting this, then do as @commiecorvus suggested. But know it'll be an uphill battle. You're new, the TL is not. It's going to be his word over the word of some anonymous TM, and he has an infinite number of excuses he can use to get around it.

Or you could do what @HRZone suggested. Hell, even if you do intend to fight it, you'll need to do something in the meantime.

What a load of horse shit. Alright let's start a rumor now. You're the OPs TL in question. Let's not investigate any further than that. Quit being so sexist, because clearly that's the only reason the OP isn't getting the schedule she wants. Why approach this objectively when you can handle it like how a High school kid would?

Sloth my issue is the TM seems to have an excuse that they aren't being accepted for their sex. Imo the number one issue here is the team members availability.

I wouldn't hire Popeye the sailor man if his availability sucked.

The OP needs to provide more info like what team they are trying to get into to provide more context.

I was hired on as a seasonal remodel team member. Our project is coming to an end, and a few of us have been selected to stay on, and we were told today where they would like to place us. I was told i would be on a 4am-12pm team, however I requested a certain team because of the hours, as 4am-12pm will interfere with my school schedule in the upcoming semester.

Talk to your HR and your leaders. Let them know that your school schedule for the upcoming semester will probably conflict with the times required for the team that you are placed in and then ask if you can be placed on the other team instead. A lot of things can happen: They might deny your request and keep you on this team. They might have you stay on this team until around next semester and then switch you to another team. They might go ahead and change you to another team early on. Who knows? Just talk to them first.

I jokingly told a member of the team i wished to be on that he did not put in a good word for me. He replied "Our *team leader* doesn't really like girls on our team because they're a 'distraction'." I started to ask around the store, amd they confirmed that this team leader has in fact made sexist comments in the past. Is he allowed to do this? Can I really be barred from a certain team because I am a girl?

OP, I got you. I understand your concern that you might not be placed on the team that you are interested in, even without any other issues such as availability, because you are of a certain gender. I have had to remind a couple of interviewers (male and female) in the past that it is illegal to discriminate based on gender after they told me that they didn't think that women were strong enough to be TPS or men were good in softlines. The problem is real but Target (and the law) discourages it so don't rule yourself out just yet. Try getting the issue above taken care of first.

If you happen to successfully transfer to the team that you wanted, remember to document any incidents of sexism just like @Hardlinesmaster wisely suggested. Include the date, time, place (location inside the store), what happened, names of any witnesses, and as many other details as you can remember. Once you have enough to establish a pattern, then you can take action by talking to HR. Remember to document these talks as well. If nothing gets solved, then you can call the hotline.

Last edited:
LITERALLY stated that I was a denied a open position that works best with my school schedule Because I'm a female and the responses i get are "Do yOu HaVe PrOoF??" Lol people that have been on his team for years are the ones that told me. Seriously no need ro lie

Half of our team members are college students with crazy availability day by day. If they're going to make my life more difficult than it needs to be, its gonna be because they ABSOLUTELY NEED ME ON 4-12. You're not gonna tell me I cant work on a team because im a female

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back