Archived SFT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our SFT must be lacking in leadership ability, as most of our Endcaps and some of the lightweight steel in groc stockroom have been mangled by powered equipment hitting the base decks/bottom of the steel. He tends to spend an unnecessary amount of time talking, or strolling at a leisurely pace around the store. And I've seen his iPad laying around the store unattended so many times I'm shocked it hasn't walked off.

So how many SFT's do we have in here? I'm fairly new in role and would love to soundboard ideas!

I respect the SFT. Let me start with that. He helps with building, maintains the store, etc.

But, he spends a lot of time on his phone. Chatting with employees while they work. Etcetera.

And it is a real bother when all work centers are having their hours cut to see someone walk down the main aisle, on the clock, talking about football.

Now I'll be honest, I have to go on my phone often, between vendors, the FMBP, and other SFTs. but god HELP me if I'm every talking about football or anything that is truly off the clock chatter. Having my phone out in front of an ETL/the team is a privilege that lets me get a lot of work done, I'm not about to abuse it or get grudging looks from other TMs about it.

Side note, I'm not a big fan of giving vendors and such my personal cell phone number.... you know that you can forward a cisco phone to an external line? I have a phone in my SFT cage that no one else uses.... ever. So I just set it to CForwAll to 9+(insert phone # w/ area code here) and it will ring to my phone when a store call gets forwarded or calls 3219. (Don't tell anyone, but I'll answer when I'm off, so I have better control of my vendors when my evening and weekend LOD's didn't read my friday recap to know what was going on and sends the vendor away...)

No longer an SFT, as of this past week we are now PMT's.....no clue why, guess someone wanted to overcomplicate things

I like the sound of property management better because facilities management really made me feel like just the maintenance guy (in title).

I hate the term "PMT" though. Just doesn't sound right yet.

All the mixed feelings.

I respect the SFT. Let me start with that. He helps with building, maintains the store, etc.

But, he spends a lot of time on his phone. Chatting with employees while they work. Etcetera.

And it is a real bother when all work centers are having their hours cut to see someone walk down the main aisle, on the clock, talking about football.

When the Food ave stinks like rotting corpse your SFT is who fixes it. He can stroll all he wants. Cause he dug in like he was pulling out cotton balls, not clogged up plumbing.

PMT seems like shorthand for payment whenever I hear it.

I am one as well. Prefer to go by Property Manager "name". PMT is too close to EMT. Otherwise I don't like to chit chat with people on the floor unless it's about their work center. I have had complications with ETLS assuming we are just having fun, but when my ETLs won't give me time to walk with them I go to the team leads and members. They are the ones that help with driving cleanliness and appearance anyway.

Dont worry, by the time everyone gets used to it, they'll come up with a new acronym for us. How about PEST's? "Property & Environmental Store Technicians"? I like it.

At my store, I'm sure we'll still be saying "SFT [name]?" a few years from now.

Some of the old-timers here might remember the user SomeBodysSlave. In his day, SFT was called SBS.

Ha, I hate to admit this, but I do remember that username (I had a different one on the old site) but I never picked up on the meaning. I didn't realize he was an SBS - probably because we are all somebody's slave. Ha ha, boy do I feel stupid right now.

So I will have been at Target through SBS and SFTs, and I will be interviewing this week to become my store's new PMT in a few months when our SFT/PMT leaves us. I should have done this years ago.

I am one as well. Prefer to go by Property Manager "name". PMT is too close to EMT.

I like that better than "PMT". I think I'll steal that idea when I move into this role at our store in a month or so.

Slave was a great poster.

Did Slave come from a logistics background before SBS, by chance? I seem to remember reading a lot of great information that he posted, and I can't remember if it was a lot of the backroom stuff or something else that I read. My memory's not what it used to be, and I take it he's not around anymore?

Slave was a great poster.

Did Slave come from a logistics background before SBS, by chance? I seem to remember reading a lot of great information that he posted, and I can't remember if it was a lot of the backroom stuff or something else that I read. My memory's not what it used to be, and I take it he's not around anymore?
He was former marine & had a serious disagreement with another member. He was the sbs guy at his store. There is only a few threads left with his postings left. I do miss him, greatly.

Side note, I'm not a big fan of giving vendors and such my personal cell phone number.... you know that you can forward a cisco phone to an external line? I have a phone in my SFT cage that no one else uses.... ever. So I just set it to CForwAll to 9+(insert phone # w/ area code here) and it will ring to my phone when a store call gets forwarded or calls 3219. (Don't tell anyone, but I'll answer when I'm off, so I have better control of my vendors when my evening and weekend LOD's didn't read my friday recap to know what was going on and sends the vendor away...)

Thanks, this is an excellent idea!! I haven't moved into the role just yet (I interview this week) but I expect to get the job. I'm almost positive that our SFT office doesn't have a phone, though. The old office was next to the backroom fire tunnel and the phone extension was 219, but with our remodel the office got moved to the bulk steel area near the receiving desk. We got the Cisco phones with our remodel but I don't remember our low voltage electrician running any new phone lines to that area. We always call our SFT on the walkie (he keeps his own walkie in his office).

I'll definitely have to look into this, because I'm not a big fan of handing out my cell phone # either. Worse case scenario I can give out a Google Voice # and forward that to my cell, then just dump that number if I ever leave Target or the SFT role. I like the Cisco idea better, because it would be really nice to have calls forwarded to my cell that came through the store operator so I spend less time playing phone tag with vendors when I am working on projects.

I think there's a way to forward to an outside line on the older phone systems. But it's very likely they put a line in your cage. If nothing else, most stores have a separate RL and Receiving phone. Receiving is usually behind the foreman's table by the vendor door, and the RL on is the one on the desk. If your cage is near there, most have mesh walls, you could likely run a long cat5 cable from the receiving jack behind the foreman's table up through the stringers on the roof (secure them like you see the AP camera wires for compliance issues) And then run it into your cage. Would be no different than running a desktop wire like I've seen done.

Thanks, this is an excellent idea!! I haven't moved into the role just yet (I interview this week) but I expect to get the job. I'm almost positive that our SFT office doesn't have a phone, though. The old office was next to the backroom fire tunnel and the phone extension was 219, but with our remodel the office got moved to the bulk steel area near the receiving desk. We got the Cisco phones with our remodel but I don't remember our low voltage electrician running any new phone lines to that area. We always call our SFT on the walkie (he keeps his own walkie in his office).

I'll definitely have to look into this, because I'm not a big fan of handing out my cell phone # either. Worse case scenario I can give out a Google Voice # and forward that to my cell, then just dump that number if I ever leave Target or the SFT role. I like the Cisco idea better, because it would be really nice to have calls forwarded to my cell that came through the store operator so I spend less time playing phone tag with vendors when I am working on projects.

Also, HOPE YOU GET IT! Always free to look me up on e-mail or facetime if you need help once in role!

I think there's a way to forward to an outside line on the older phone systems. But it's very likely they put a line in your cage. If nothing else, most stores have a separate RL and Receiving phone. Receiving is usually behind the foreman's table by the vendor door, and the RL on is the one on the desk. If your cage is near there, most have mesh walls, you could likely run a long cat5 cable from the receiving jack behind the foreman's table up through the stringers on the roof (secure them like you see the AP camera wires for compliance issues) And then run it into your cage. Would be no different than running a desktop wire like I've seen done.

Ha ha, that's exactly what I was thinking. We had two phones like you said in Receiving & Reverse Logistics before the remodel (218 and 219 on the old black phones). Now there is just one (a cordless at 3218) at the wallplate behind the PC in the receiving workcenter. I plan to investigate that area to see if the other phone line is there somewhere. There isn't a jack that I'm aware of, but the line might be tucked away in the ceiling. I know that when they ran conduit down to the SFT office for power, they left one of the runs empty. It terminates at an empty box by the workbench, which would be the perfect place to run some cat5 to a keystone jack.

And thanks, I hope I get it, too!

PMT here. No need to worry about giving your personal cell phone out. You will be given a ipad with Microsoft lync on it with a phone number created from hq. You can have to foward to ring on your phone that's what I do. Good luck in your interview although it's a cake walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back