Archived Shooting outside of my store yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJoe

"Can you go to 3, please?" *Turns off walkie*
So we were having a nice and normal Monday at our store. The rest of my price change team left leaving me to pick up the slack of being four days in the red. I went on my break and then proceeded to head to the backroom to survey the hundreds of re-tickets were sitting in carts waiting for me. Then someone says that something is going down in the parking lot.

The something was AP calling the local PD to tell them that a couple on the local "look-out" list was in the store. Police arrived and were waiting for them to exit to serve warrants. The police chased them to their vehicle where they were apparently packing heat.

Two cops got hit by gunfire and survived (both discharged by this morning). The couple died as a result of their gunshot wounds.

Oh yeah... Our cart attendant was on lunch. I call that excellent timing.

I wound up manning one of our emergency exits (we were letting guests out that way since our front entrance was taped off) after the other TMs hanging out there abandoned me without a walkie. We had police cars from our city plus four cities that are within a short drive plus the county sheriff's office and the state police. We were technically "open" for the next few hours but nobody could enter and guests who had cars parked in the roped off area couldn't get to their cars. We were giving out free Starbucks drinks while guests waited to be interviewed by the district attorney's office.

I left at 5 and the STL told me that this was the first time in his career at Target that he had to close a store early. We were closed to guests by 5-6pm (police told us that nobody would be allowed to cross the crime scene to enter the store) but the closing team was still going to do their zone. Some TMs called in and were told that coming in was optional and would not be held against them if they decided to stay home. Store looked pretty good when I came in at 8 today. When I got there the STL and the PMT were looking at a tiny spot at the top of the cart door that was missing some paint that we didn't think was missing the day before.

We had a "life resources" counselor in the store to talk to anyone who needed someone to talk to. We also have a security guard posted where TPS would normally stand by the doors all week long. It's a little unnerving, but whatever... I laughed it off and said "Oh great, we're just like *other store in the district on the bad side of town*."

We're all fine. Our police officers are recovering at home. If you want to look it up I'm sure it will come up in your Google searches but I ask that you not share the location on TBR since it will immediately give my store away.

Just read the article. Sad story. I sometimes get paranoid something like this will happen when I'm on the clock.

That's crazy, though I am pretty sure you just gave it away to anyone at corporate anyway.
I'm glad everyone is alright, though I'd hate to be on the AP team at your store right now.

I am glad that all TMs are okay and that the two wounded law enforcement individuals are recovering well.

That's crazy, though I am pretty sure you just gave it away to anyone at corporate anyway.
UnionUnionUnionUnionUnion.
My time left with Spot is limited.

So sorry to hear about this.
People who think that life is like the movies and there are no consequences ....
I'm glad you and the other TMs are okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back