Should I be worried about my shot at a TL role?

That’s not true. I put forward a TM that no one even thought of for a promotion in another store and he got the role and is doing well. This is within the last three months.
Still have to do the bench interview so nice try

To be fair, OP may not let their feelings be known in their store. Sometimes people here forget that this site is used to vent and say thing that you wouldn't or couldn't say "in public", so to speak.
Yes you’re more than likely correct on this.. I still do believe that this mindset is not the correct one to have and you should not compare yourself to current leadership in those negative ways. I’ve been there done that and that mindset led me to fail. Hard pill to swallow in the moment but you have to break that mindset

Yes you’re more than likely correct on this.. I still do believe that this mindset is not the correct one to have and you should not compare yourself to current leadership in those negative ways. I’ve been there done that and that mindset led me to fail. Hard pill to swallow in the moment but you have to break that mindset
True, and I hate to be negative, but I've seen my share of folks stepping into a leadership role enthusiastically thinking they were going to shake things up and get the ship steering straight, only to be disappointed and beaten down by the realities of the job and the roadblocks set up by fellow leaders.

True, and I hate to be negative, but I've seen my share of folks stepping into a leadership role enthusiastically thinking they were going to shake things up and get the ship steering straight, only to be disappointed and beaten down by the realities of the job and the roadblocks set up by fellow leaders.
I’m not looking to shake things up. I’m just going for a leader role so that me and one of my other GM leaders can legally date in the eyes of the company.

My store must be an outlier in that case. Every TL we have is a former TM of their respective department that they lead.
I have been a fulfillment tm for the past 6 years, and just became the fulfillment TL.
I had to apply for it! I was told to apply for it!
in the past 3 years, 6 TM became TL, and none has quit yet.
On the other hand , several external TL have come and gone!

I have been a fulfillment tm for the past 6 years, and just became the fulfillment TL.
I had to apply for it! I was told to apply for it!
in the past 3 years, 6 TM became TL, and none has quit yet.
On the other hand , several external TL have come and gone!
When the role became open, did your leaders come to you first about applying or did you have to make the first move?

Could some one give few examples of development projects ?
I used to have team members run the close. So I'd have them follow up with the team, lead and delegate tasks. Also would have then compose a closing email to other leaders. After that I would go and get feedback from the team and send the team member I was developing to get feedback from the leaders.

I would also have them lead a transition, planning, setting, follow up and post set walk with SD.

When we had them I'd have them lead huddles and lead leadership walks with the leadership team.

Always would give them a metric to improve, BRLA, pricing score etc...

So I have something of an update:

I talked with my GM ETL and she told me that our store likes to promote in pairs, which is a pattern that I've noticed in the past and definitely something I should have kept in mind. Our newest Style TL and Visual Merchandiser were promoted at the same time, one of our Front End TL's was promoted at the same time as one of our GM leaders, and another Front End leader was promoted at the same time as another GM Leader. I think they do it because whenever a TM is promoted, someone in HR will put up a giant poster with the TM's pictures on it along with their new TL role and it's meant as a congratulatory acknowledgement. Apparently they like to make that happen with pairs instead of just one TM.

My ETL told me that one of our current Front End leaders is going to be transferring to another store in a few weeks and that there's currently a guest services member on the bench who's going to be taking up her spot once she's gone. That's all she was willing to say, but it looks like if I really want a shot at applying and getting that promotion, I might have to wait a few weeks since they like to do their usual promotion in pairs.

Our store never even announces promotions anymore which is just lazy.

You just hear through the grapevine that so and so is now a TL.

So I have something of an update:

I talked with my GM ETL and she told me that our store likes to promote in pairs, which is a pattern that I've noticed in the past and definitely something I should have kept in mind. Our newest Style TL and Visual Merchandiser were promoted at the same time, one of our Front End TL's was promoted at the same time as one of our GM leaders, and another Front End leader was promoted at the same time as another GM Leader. I think they do it because whenever a TM is promoted, someone in HR will put up a giant poster with the TM's pictures on it along with their new TL role and it's meant as a congratulatory acknowledgement. Apparently they like to make that happen with pairs instead of just one TM.

My ETL told me that one of our current Front End leaders is going to be transferring to another store in a few weeks and that there's currently a guest services member on the bench who's going to be taking up her spot once she's gone. That's all she was willing to say, but it looks like if I really want a shot at applying and getting that promotion, I might have to wait a few weeks since they like to do their usual promotion in pairs.
Lol this sounds like such a crock of crap to get you to shut up about it. Don't you think if they already have the TM lined up for the front end position in which the leader hasn't even left yet that they'd have someone lined up for the position you want already too? Especially considering this person has already announced and maybe by now already gone?

The promoting in pairs sounds so idiotic I don't even know where to start. But I'll say this, what if there is one TL opening and no one leaves for a year or 2? Does that person just have to wait until there is another TL opening to get promoted?

If I were in your situation, I'd read between the lines and realize that I am not getting this position. If you are at the point in which you are in denial about every bit of feedback that everyone on this forum has given you, take it as a sign.

Take it all as a learning experience, just because you don't get this promotion doesn't mean you won't ever get one. Take the feedback and suggestions from everyone in this thread and use it to your advantage. Also don't throw hissy fits and throw equipment, if that's true you are lucky to have a job. I termed someone years ago for the exact same thing.

Back