Should i not be so happy at work?

Im gonna go ahead and say it.
So far I love my job. Everything about it and Im not having any issues at all. The only thing is that im noticing that i pretty much seem to be the only person in a good mood everyday. I've had extra days added to my schedule every week so far consistently and I think everyone likes me.
Am i just drunk by the economy or should i just tone down the cheerfulness?

Every store needs people who are in a good mood. So many people come to work in a bad mood for whatever reason and it brings people down. I know it isn't always easy or possible to leave your personal problems at the time clock and sometimes people have issues with things happening at work. I'm not saying you should be a cheerleader, but maybe your good mood will help lift the team's morale. Some people may say you haven't been there long enough, but don't let them bring you down.

It is great to be employed at a job that is fun. I like to say I make a little bit more than I did when I wasn't working, but I get health insurance. Have some minor peeves, but I love the fact that I leave my job at work.

OP
OP
aunteeflow
Some people may say you haven't been there long enough, but don't let them bring you down.
Thats what I get at the end of the day. Oh and when we first get there in the morning waiting for the door to open I had to learn to not say "Good Morning" and do as everyone else does and just say "Morning" as in its just another morning
I have a pretty good nest egg already from my career but im learning to NOT tell everyone what i do with my free time because evidently they cant do the same :(

Atleast I do tell them about Groupon

Last edited:
People always end up the way they started out. No one ever changes. They think they do, but they don't. If you're the depressed type now, that's the way you'll always be. If you're the mindless happy type now, that's the way you'll be when you grow up. You might lose some weight, your face may clear up, get a body tan, breast enlargement, a sex change, it makes no difference. Essentially, from in front, from behind, whether you're 13 or 50, you will always be the same.

Maybe, I don't know. It doesn't matter what you are, or aren't, you are who you are, and always will be. You should never have to tone down or up your "cheerfulness" because of what others might think or feel.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
So you choose to make lemonade instead of settling for sour grapes? Not your problem.
As lac said, you may be a morale-booster for your team.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Be happy. I prefer working with positive people, though snarky can be fun too.

AunteeFlow, So glad to hear your brief time with Target is going so well & you are enjoying it. Don't let others bring you down because you are a newbie. Attitudes can be contageous, perhaps yours will be to others. :) BTW, I still say good morning when the LOD let's us in. I know we are overnight, but it's still morning to me. (Since I just got up.)

i am the same way. fellow TM love to hate me. I am always, (ok, 99%) in a good mood. my fellow early morning people just look at me and say. "You ain't right!" But i bring a smile to their faces. for the longest time, i used to do it just to irritate everyone. Not too many people like before 8 am shifts. used to be a 4amer. No one can be that happy at that time of the morning. Well i think there are two of us know. I do love my job, still, and most of the people i work with. been here almost 10 years now. I just wish when you get a good set of ETL's, you could keep them more than two years. Somedays it is really hard to keep that smile going with all the working huddles we attend anymore. But i do my best. I am still irritating as all get out to most TM and always have a great smile and a "how are you doing today" for the guests along with CIHYFS?

pellinore

Ho hum....I'm watching you!
It's not crazy to love your job.
Me? I love being a cashier.....put me on the sales floor for too long and I'm not happy.

Also, check how I've done the comments on the bottom of my posts.

I've learned that it takes more effort to be angry and moody than it takes to be happy. So be happy when you can.

I'm not trying to be a "pollyanna" here....I know that we all have days and times when we feel crummy or life isn't treating us well and we want to tell the guest to go eat a raw egg, but as a cashier I try to look at my guests and hope that I am helping to make their day a better one for having come to my line. Besides, shopping at Target may be the only contact that some folks have with the world.

Finally, the best motivation is: Treat people the way that you want to be treated.

B

Barcode

@OP, don't "tone down" your cheerfulness! Being positive makes you shine like a beacon to your peers, and raises overall morale :)