Archived Should I stay or should I go...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoomm

ex-caffeinator
In addition to having major surgery and being off for the better part of 2 months earlier this year, I've now got another wonderful health issue that's cramping my style (or rather, my entire life). At my most recent doctor appointment, the assistant literally cursed when I told her my insurance wouldn't cover the specific treatment I really need to help with my problem. So now we have to go a different route that is 99% guaranteed to be much more painful, take longer, and not as likely to solve things.

I used to be the go-to when someone called out for both departments I work. Now, I've had to cut back my hours dramatically, and still struggle to get through a lot of my short shifts. I really like the team at my store, and I feel like I'm letting them down. They're very helpful and considerate in every way they can be, which is fantastic. But health-wise, at least for the next few (or even several) months, I fully expect I might be in a position where I'm physically unable to do much of anything there.

I'm wondering if I should take some kind of leave-of-absence (if there even is such a thing), or just try to find a job where I don't need to do much physically. I really can't go without a paycheck right now, and I know there's a handful of things that will exclude me from trying to get any kind of disability pay. I really like working at my store, and I haven't even been there a full year, but I'm kind of at a loss right now as to how I should go forward at the moment.

First, I hope you get through all of this OK.

Second, Target will work with you. So as IDoStuffHere said, talk to your store leadership on options.

Last, once your over this, make a new plan for you and your family. You'll thank yourself down the road if you should ever experience anything like this again.

I'll certainly sit down with some of the leads after the weekend, and get their take/ideas on it. Just mentioned it here in case anyone has tales of going through anything similar.

Family... there's a reason the word "estranged" exists. I'll probably discuss it with a few close friends, but the majority of blood relatives I have would just kvetch about how I should have a "better" job so I could get better insurance or pay for treatment that I can't currently afford. I'm pretty much on my own, except sharing bills with a roommate.

I'll certainly sit down with some of the leads after the weekend, and get their take/ideas on it. Just mentioned it here in case anyone has tales of going through anything similar.

Family... there's a reason the word "estranged" exists. I'll probably discuss it with a few close friends, but the majority of blood relatives I have would just kvetch about how I should have a "better" job so I could get better insurance or pay for treatment that I can't currently afford. I'm pretty much on my own, except sharing bills with a roommate.

Kinda a repetitive, but you start with your inner circle first and work outwards once its exhausted. Just don't be afraid to ask for help.

I hope everything works out for you.

Hope your store is willing to work with you on this. They should make accommodations for you to keep working

You have 2 options. Short term disability insurance for starters covers 90 days with 60% pay. If you elected to have long term disability will cover after the short term stops.

Hope your store is willing to work with you on this. They should make accommodations for you to keep working

They have been very good with accommodating any time I ask. Unfortunately, my current issue is essentially a back problem, and my main department is Starbucks. There's only so much I can cut back on there. There's not much to do if I have to start limiting my bending/squatting/kneeling when all the front refrigerators are on the floor (my teammates won't even let me do runs with the ice bucket any more... which, honestly, is probably a good thing).

Will be running some numbers and ideas by my friends this weekend.

Ask to do mids in Sbux. You can run register and mark cups. You can even sit if you need to. We had a barista with foot problems who did this. Could you possibly run SCO--not much bending or lifting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back