Archived Should I stay or should I go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcePeasant

Flock Leader
A different TL position just opened up at my store, was wondering if I should think about transferring over, currently hardlines to possibly Softlines... any pros/cons about this?

Softlines is horrible now. This end to end thing is a mess. I mean, I can only speak for my store, of course

As someone who has work as a softlines supervisor for 7 years in another company, DON'T DO IT.

I think I would check out the softlines dept in your store and see how they're doing with E2E before transferring over. If they're rocking it then why not be part of that? It's not really the idea of E2E that's a fail, it's stores that aren't well staffed with people who care enough to do the job that are failing. If you are in one of those stores where softlines is grossly understaffed and drowning under the demands of E2E then transferring over will mean that everything that is wrong is somehow your fault. If you like a challenge and savor the idea of going somewhere that's difficult and finding a way to make it better go for it. But know what you're getting into before you jump because it is a stressful position to be in. Other side of that is, if they suddenly have an open position you have to ask yourself why did the other TL leave?

Never. I was in softlines one time setting up a display for Father's Day and it wasn't even that many clothes and it was hell. Literally this table had a bunch of nerf guns and golf balls and then just some folded shirts on top and literally I couldn't figure out how to fold them, it took me like 5 tries. They have some weird way of folding them

Just my thoughts but if you do have intentions of moving up any higher target likes well-rounded employees trained in various departments learn every aspect of every department in the store that you can

I think I would check out the softlines dept in your store and see how they're doing with E2E before transferring over. If they're rocking it then why not be part of that? It's not really the idea of E2E that's a fail, it's stores that aren't well staffed with people who care enough to do the job that are failing. If you are in one of those stores where softlines is grossly understaffed and drowning under the demands of E2E then transferring over will mean that everything that is wrong is somehow your fault. If you like a challenge and savor the idea of going somewhere that's difficult and finding a way to make it better go for it. But know what you're getting into before you jump because it is a stressful position to be in. Other side of that is, if they suddenly have an open position you have to ask yourself why did the other TL leave?
They are Transferring, there’s other TL positions in my store as well but it was brought up if I’d want to do it.

Just my thoughts but if you do have intentions of moving up any higher target likes well-rounded employees trained in various departments learn every aspect of every department in the store that you can
I’ve been in almost every department before me being Hardlines TL except receiver and cash office. That’s another reason why I was considering it, but our Softlines here is a mess and then some.

It's probably not worth it. With end to end softlines, its very hard to stay ahead of the game. I will speak for my district no store is exactly optimistic about softlines going into q4. And some of our strong softlines TLs have bailed for other work centers.

My sl tl told me her least favorite part of her job is how shes is expected to write up team members who are not good at or not comfortable selling.

If you want to be rounded switch to logistics. Going from hardlines to softlines with the same pay is madness. Especially because as a sltl you will have the blame for any shortcomings placed on you.

Last edited:
Should I stay or should I go. If I stay it will be trouble. If I go it will be double. I'm sorry. That song lyric immediately popped in my head when I read the title of the post. :D
My mindset when I’m thinking of a title for my new thread posts lol

It's probably not worth it. With end to end softlines, its very hard to stay ahead of the game. I will speak for my district no store is exactly optimistic about softlines going into q4. And some of our strong softlines TLs have bailed for other work centers.

My sl tl told me her least favorite part of her job is how shes is expected to write up team members who are not good at not comfortable selling.

If you want to be rounded switch to logistics. Going from hardlines to softlines with the same pay is madness. Especially because as a sltl you will have the blame for any shortcomings placed on you.
I have covered BR and helped with the Flow and restocking processes before, if the position was open I would try for it, I know it’s an important core part of the business, but as far as what’s open, there’s only SL, Food service, and HL. I already have two of the three under my belt, but when I was approached they seemed needy for me to be over there lol

Since q4 is about to start, you could always decline the offer and say that you are concerned about starting a new area at this time....who knows, the position might open up again.
I work in softlines as well as cashier. At this point in time I'd suggest that you run far away from being a softlines TL.

As a SLTL, I would not recommend it, unless you want to push freight all day. That's literally all I do anymore. My pricing and adjacency setting is fine, but truck is hell. Zones also don't look great at my store due to them wanting more TM's in the store during the day, so we never get a good zone in. It's just rough right now. I think I would take any other TL position besides SL.

As a SLTL, I would not recommend it, unless you want to push freight all day. That's literally all I do anymore. My pricing and adjacency setting is fine, but truck is hell. Zones also don't look great at my store due to them wanting more TM's in the store during the day, so we never get a good zone in. It's just rough right now. I think I would take any other TL position besides SL.
I’ve noticed that with my SLTLs too. It’s just push after push after push and if it’s busy and gets backed up at the front, esp at night, then they end up with a storm full of reshops, z racks, on top of the push that wasn’t completed, and a poor zone depending on the closing team’s time in the area.

I loved Softlines. It kills me to see how hard it has become to keep up with the basic tasks let alone any extra service or merchandising. I still would rather take SL over HL, but it's easy for me to say when I don't have to decide. I might ask for Food Service if it doesn't include Market.

I found out who they are considering for it and said person isn’t a good choice. My home is so messy it’s like an episode of hoarders meets Jerry springer meets fixer upper. It’s that bad.

Question: does the DTL need to approve/disapprove a transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back