Service & Engagement Shutting down Bullseye’s Playground

Please forgive me if this has come up before, is a frequent topic, or If there’s a better place to post. But has there ever been a serious discussion about removing Bullseye’s Playground?

I’m an ex-team member and have been gone many years, but I still cringe walking past that wasteland of cheap, useless junk that comes from China, all too frequently in boxes with an excessive amount of packing that have only TWO items in them!

it just seems terrible for the environment, wasteful, ugly, messy, and so out of line with all the beautiful, carefully curated sections that are newer.

And does any front end person actually like stocking it? Unless you have an obsession with scavenger hunts or a glitter fetish, I just always found it awful.

As a former employee, did I sign anything that would get me in major trouble for petitioning the store to get rid of it?

Or do team members actually like it?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Last edited:
Please forgive me if this has come up before, is a frequent topic, or If there’s a better place to post. But has there ever been a serious discussion about removing Bullseye’s Playground?

I’m an ex-team member and have been gone many years, but I still cringe walking past that wasteland of cheap, useless junk that comes from China, all too frequently in boxes with an excessive amount of packing that have only TWO items in them!

it just seems terrible for the environment, wasteful, ugly, messy, and so out of line with all the beautiful, carefully curated sections that are newer.

And does any front end person actually like stocking it? Unless you have an obsession with scavenger hunts or a glitter fetish, I just always found it awful.

As a former employee, did I sign anything that would get me in major trouble for petitioning the store to get rid of it?

Or do team members actually like it?

Thanks for any and all replies.
Guest love that stuff! I love that stuff.

Any idea how much it actually makes?

Everything is so cheap (and poor quality) that my experience was that a very few people bought everything they came for there for like $25, and then the majority of people bought nothing from there and spend $200+

Many of the items (holiday stuff, decorations, socks) could be placed in the other departments still. But most of it is really (sorry) junk.

My chief grudge against the place is 1) seriously how badly packaged everything that goes into it is. Every box is small, shipped halfway around the world, and you open them and there are only two items in it and an excessive amount of packing materials. That seems like an especially Earth-unfriendly practice.

And 2) what a mess the place always is. I’ve seen folks spend hours zoning it, get it into an almost presentable state, and then watch it get destroyed again in minutes. It seems like a huge drain on employee time and probably costs almost as much to maintain as it earns in sales.

And of course, the glitter. The herpes of the crafting world.

Why is it on everything and have you ever looked at a shelf when it’s really empty? We’d need a vacuum to keep up with all the glitter that accumulates.

I love the suggestion to replace it with a local item’s section.

But as I mentioned, I’m a former employee, so it’s not my job anymore. But I wish peace and prosperity to all and good luck to whoever has to deal with that little section of chaos and sadness.

Any idea how much it actually makes?
No, but every single guest walks thru there (at least at one-door stores) when they enter. Items sell incredibly well as add-on accessories because no one is going to go to Target and only buy an item from this area; they will spend more money on more items elsewhere in the store if they find something they want in this section first. Like someone else said, it's an impulse buy area.
Everything is so cheap (and poor quality) that my experience was that a very few people bought everything they came for there for like $25, and then the majority of people bought nothing from there and spend $200+
Quality can be hit or miss. It has improved since increasing the dollar amount of items sold.
Many of the items (holiday stuff, decorations, socks) could be placed in the other departments still. But most of it is really (sorry) junk.

My chief grudge against the place is 1) seriously how badly packaged everything that goes into it is. Every box is small, shipped halfway around the world, and you open them and there are only two items in it and an excessive amount of packing materials. That seems like an especially Earth-unfriendly practice.
Given you haven't worked here in awhile, let me tell you- those boxes have way more than two items in them. Casepacks for this area are typically have between 6-48 items in them depending on what it is.
And 2) what a mess the place always is. I’ve seen folks spend hours zoning it, get it into an almost presentable state, and then watch it get destroyed again in minutes. It seems like a huge drain on employee time and probably costs almost as much to maintain as it earns in sales.
This is true almost anywhere in the store these days.
And of course, the glitter. The herpes of the crafting world.

Why is it on everything and have you ever looked at a shelf when it’s really empty? We’d need a vacuum to keep up with all the glitter that accumulates.
Glitter is used seasonally, usually Halloween & Christmas. Yes, it does need to be vacuumed up. But those items sell really well; guests seem to like messy shit like that in their homes. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I love the suggestion to replace it with a local item’s section.

But as I mentioned, I’m a former employee, so it’s not my job anymore. But I wish peace and prosperity to all and good luck to whoever has to deal with that little section of chaos and sadness.

Often when Target is compared to Walmart it is said “Target is the snobby Walmart” or “The expensive Walmart”.

You CAN argue that the items are not a good VALUE cause they are basically disposable but the
‘Bullsye‘s Playground items signifies “affordability” to combat that ‘Expensive’ name tag.

Sorry you are bothered by it, but I bet it is here to stay. Social media like Tic Toc and apps like Pinterest have served to popularize the items even more than ever to the masses. Oh my, how many times the SAME people returned over and over searching for the bubble gum machine ! (I got one !)

The items are cheap but the shear numbers sold are so massive that huge profits are a result. The ‘cheapness’ actually increases sales because the items need to be replaced. I often buy a few holiday items and don’t feel bad tossing them after the holiday because I know I can buy something else next year. I was once told there is STILL PROFIT made when sold at 70% off.

When I was front end, I did love to zone Bullsye. Ours was NEVER a MESS cause we kept up with it. We felt the stuff looked better neat and after all, it was the first impression.

I have met A FEW people that DON’T like Bullsye but NOT many. You do know it needs to be packaged that way because it spends so much time in shipping.

Lastly, if you have ever watched the show “American Pickers” you will understand WHY this is in the FRONT of the store. Each episode they explain that they will overpay the ASKING price for the FIRST item bargained for to START the selling/buying process. Like “priming the pump”, the buyer AND seller have to “get in the mood”. When someone picks up a $1.00 item from Bullsye - they are committed to going through the checkout - psychologically they have already STARTED the BUYING process.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the responses. It sounds like I have a vendetta against Bullseye’s Playground! 😝

Probably true.

But I’m heartened to hear that boxes may be bigger than when I was there. and I understand the need to pack delicate breakable items the way they do for long journeys (just wish they could have fewer items that needed to make such long journeys and would adopt a more eco-friendly packing model.)

I’d still love to see a major remodel of that section. Even though I’m gone, I ❤️Target. I loved it before I worked there, I loved it while I worked there, and I still love it today.

I was one of the weirdo employees that had a different full-time job but still worked there part-time because of how much I was in love with the place. Had to leave right before the pandemic because things became too much at my full-time. And my heart went out to everyone who worked through the worst times.

I think my one-person plan to “cancel” bullseye’s playground are futile because it sounds beloved. (But I’ll always avoid it).

I think my one-person plan to “cancel” bullseye’s playground are futile because it sounds beloved. (But I’ll always avoid it).
Oh, now ‘me-thinks thou protest too much’ !

I’d like to see your purchases. Have you seriously NEVER been tempted to throw that dollar item into your cart ? For the pleading child, to fill the Christmas stocking, for that BTS item ! ? C’mon, even if you don’t WALK through THAT area - that stuff is abandoned ALL over the store.
When you are shopping for planting pots (at $10-15 each) in the garden section and come across a misplaced $1. One from Bullayers - are you not enticed to buy it ? When shopping for that birthday present and there is a bullsye toy stray in the toy dept that is cute - you don’t just add it to the gift bag ? When shopping for kitchen linens you never choose the Bullsye $3. Dish towels over the $12. Ones in the aisle ? ……….. EVER ????

ok, Then. I’ll believe you if you want me too BUT……
(No offense to you personally)but I’m hearing Karen say:
“I am never shopping here again”, to which we reply “see ya next Tuesday”

If bullseye playground is so bad and Target needs to get rid of it, then why did Walmart copy target and roll out it’s own dollar spot at the entrance in remodeled stores??? It’s not going anywhere. There are dozens fb and Instagram pages dedicated to collecting and revamping and selling bullseye items.
Just check mercari. Tons of bullseye stuff being sold there after a slight upgrade.

Last edited:
Ours looks like ass, but when it's zoned and not way overpushed it's pretty cool. They get some great stuff amongst all the junk.

I still have some St. Patrick's Day throw pillows I bought before I worked here. This past Halloween we had some awesome stuff - skulls, crows, battery-operated candelabras, lighted potion bottles and colorful spice jars. For Christmas I bought the wooden animal silhouettes (bear, moose, squirrel, and deer), in fact they inspired me to do a rustic theme for the holidays.

Like I said, the biggest issue is the overpushing and zoning. But that's an issue throughout the store. I agree that it makes a crappy first impression for the guests.

I’m very much getting the sense that Bullseye’s Playground is very popular with customers and team members. I think it was just a very different thing at the store I worked at. For context, the store I worked at was in a peri-urban area, in the third richest county in the country (please don’t come after me for that! I was just an employee!) and it was one of the first major remodels in our metro area. It was never very busy (except for Saturday and Sunday mornings) and there was a Walmart less than 1/4 of a mile away. So at this store, I just got the sense very few people shopped it, kids loved it but only to constantly re-arrange the contents, and team members spent the entire day zoning it when it was already full but a disaster and could do so endlessly because you were never interrupted by a guest. They browsed it occasionally, but generally just avoided it. And when I went to the busier stores in the metro area, they looked like warzones. When people from other stores were temporarily asked to fill shifts at ours, they always commented on how peaceful it was compared to theirs and wanted a transfer.

As for why Walmart modeled a section after it themselves 🤷🏻? It seems like a much better fit for their stores than Target.

And I appreciate Corporate Target’s commitment to environmental impact, but we all see how much stuff gets trashed or shoved into the cardboard compactor. The commitment seems nice, but maybe a little…toothless.

At my store we have an amazing DBO that keeps bullseye zoned and full at all times. I agree that back in the day when it was all $1 junk just piled on top of each other it looked like crap.

But like others said they have improved the dollar amount and quality of these items. It isnt the same crap.

This is actually sounding a lot like classism. Dump One Spot that just about everyone can afford and bring in the local, natural, organic, whatever whatever, super stupid expensive stuff that very few people have the discretionary budget to afford.

One Christmas I was broke beyond broke. I wanted to give my daughter an actual Christmas and my husband always made it clear gifts are non-negotiable. I scraped together about $25 and One Spot provided both presents and gift bags for two people with change to spare. I couldn't have done anything otherwise.

I started a job where you were expected to buy your own office supplies, they didn't even provide pens. Poking around One Spot, they had makeup accessory holders on sale, super thick acrylic that could survive being dropped a bunch of times, and the openings for brushes and the like were perfect for pens and pencils plus a drawer for post it notes. I spent $4 total on two holders that were stackable. Had I gone to a locally sourced vendor, similar function of similar durability of similar volume would have cost $40-50 dollars, well beyond my ability, and I'd have been SOL and spreading my pens and mini stapler across the top of the desk with nothing to hold them.

I actually love pushing bullseye. I know it's a little strange. The merch is always changing and the guests love it. Did you know that there are facebook groups dedicated to redecorating with BPG. Those people are nuts. The shit flies off the shelves. We have a very hard time keeping it full. I agree that it produces a lot of trash, but so does other parts of the store. The trash has gotten a little better over the years IMO.

I actually love pushing bullseye. I know it's a little strange. The merch is always changing and the guests love it. Did you know that there are facebook groups dedicated to redecorating with BPG. Those people are nuts. The shit flies off the shelves. We have a very hard time keeping it full. I agree that it produces a lot of trash, but so does other parts of the store. The trash has gotten a little better over the years IMO.

I like pushing it too when I am up there resetting. Clear out salvage, new label strips, new merch filled, 141 pulled, and clean up the chaos. Looks fantastic when I am done.

Back