Archived Sick hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone clarify about sick hours and using them? I've seen multiple people try to use there sick hours, even if they're not sick. Something about there average hours....

But... I'm asking this isn't allowed right??

You gotta ask your hrtm for a sick time form. A lot of states require employers give them. You fill it out and as long as it doesn't exceeds your average hours it'll get approved. You can check both average and your amount of sick time on my time in the stop where you go to request paid time off

I have 55 sick hours, and I average about 24 hours on MyTime. So damn- I'd only be able too do it if I had like ten hours and add hours. Ok- thanks!

You gotta ask your hrtm for a sick time form. A lot of states require employers give them. You fill it out and as long as it doesn't exceeds your average hours it'll get approved. You can check both average and your amount of sick time on my time in the stop where you go to request paid time off

That was a really thoughtful and accurate answer. I know you aren't too popular around here but yeah!

I have 55 sick hours, and I average about 24 hours on MyTime. So damn- I'd only be able too do it if I had like ten hours and add hours. Ok- thanks!

Asants but my store only allows people to use sick hours on days they are scheduled and missed work. So let's say you were scheduled 22 hours and your average is 20. We wouldn't let you use sick time to get to 22 unless you missed at least one day of work

Asants but my store only allows people to use sick hours on days they are scheduled and missed work. So let's say you were scheduled 22 hours and your average is 20. We wouldn't let you use sick time to get to 22 unless you missed at least one day of work
My let's you do it whenever. So we use it for vacation, or to pad hours even if got 5 days

Not surprised Target does not let TMs know about their sick time, they have been horrible to me about it.

This is how it is supposed to work.

So lets say my average is 38hrs but only scheduled 18 hrs next week, I can't use any sick hours to raise it close to 38hrs?

So lets say my average is 38hrs but only scheduled 18 hrs next week, I can't use any sick hours to raise it close to 38hrs?
In my store you can not. I believe under the law in my state you can not use 'sick time' to make up for unscheduled hours. We have team members try to use sick time when they are under scheduled.

If you cant use sick for under scheduling then I recommend you just call out and enjoy your day off. It's bs you cant use time your earned. Most people have a decent amount due to due to good attendance and iirc it caps at 80 so it's a waste not to use it

Check with your HR but my store wouldn't let you. Best practice says its only for days you call out.

Last edited:

We can at my store. Plus when I have a doctors appt. I use my sick time as long as it will not put me over my average hrs.

Sick hours are mandated by law in SanFran and Seattle - some other locales offer this too though these two cities are the most strict in the entire country. In Seattle the ordinance is called "PSST" (Seattle Paid Safe and Sick Time) and accrual is one hour for every 30 hours worked. Additionally, by law any absences covered under the PSST ordinance are not to counted against your attendance record. Ex: if you are only out due to PSST time taken or via a regularly scheduled/approved vacation then you still have perfect attendance. As far as usage, it can only be used in place of a normally scheduled shift. Normal call-out procedures apply (2 hours in advance, etc) and on the sick time request form you are to reference the ordinance which can be done simply by entering "Seattle PSST" or similar within the "reason" section.

SanFran is similar and other locales may too have similar systems though none are as "progressive" or employee-centric as these two cities. Interestingly, the Seattle ordinance (and I think SanFran too) is covered under the local civil rights laws.

As far as other locations I've heard some do not accrue sick time while others due but at varying rates. Meh ... go figure. Available sick time hours are listed on your pay stub within the same section as vacation time ... at least in this region.

It has it's downsides though. The fact you have to sign a consent to extend your shift more than 15 minutes is dumb

Ah ... you're talking about the new "Secure Scheduling" ordinance which officially goes into effect on July 1. I didn't agree with this particular ordinance in that it goes a bit too far in regulating how a business operates however, the 10-hour break between shifts and 14-day lead time for schedules (which my location as always done) is quite useful.

The work around to extending the shift, by law, is in those cases where extra hours are available such as when there are call-outs. In those cases, TL/ETL/LOD must group-announce the availability - then it's a first-come first-served cluster. OR ... if a TM asks if there extra hours they can volunteer. The signature requirement comes into play if you are asked one-on-one to extend your scheduled shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back