Sick pay

My store is in an area where they just passed a law that we have to be offered sick pay. Basically I accrue a week a year. I have never had to deal with this before so I have a few questions. Also it'd be beneficial to add that I have called off sick less than 10 times in 15 years.

Can I only use sick pay in a situation where I have called off and not come in for a shift?

Can I schedule the time off for a doctor's appt and use sick pay?

Does sick pay, pay out if I were to quit or get termed?

Also doesn't this now incentivize someone like me to call off? If I don't then I don't get to use my sick time.

Can I only use sick pay in a situation where I have called off and not come in for a shift? This depends on your store. My store allows it as long as you're not at 40 hours. So if you have a 35 hour week you could use 5 hrs sick pay. The store I helped out in last year does not allow this.

Can I schedule the time off for a doctor's appt and use sick pay? Yes. Sick pay can be used for appointments, caring for kids that are sick or your partner, etc. Your store should still have a handbook and all of it is listed in there. I believe it's on the pay and benefits site as well.

Does sick pay, pay out if I were to quit or get termed? No. I'm not sure if this varies by state, but I think it's across all Target stores. Vacation pay does not pay out either.

Also doesn't this now incentivize someone like me to call off? If I don't then I don't get to use my sick time. I believe this is why my store allows it to some extent. They don't want you calling out. I don't call out either but I damn sure would if they didn't allow me to use my sick day to round to 40 hrs. I like to use mine in January/February when hours tank.

My store is in an area where they just passed a law that we have to be offered sick pay. Basically I accrue a week a year. I have never had to deal with this before so I have a few questions. Also it'd be beneficial to add that I have called off sick less than 10 times in 15 years.

Can I only use sick pay in a situation where I have called off and not come in for a shift?

Can I schedule the time off for a doctor's appt and use sick pay?

Does sick pay, pay out if I were to quit or get termed?

Also doesn't this now incentivize someone like me to call off? If I don't then I don't get to use my sick time.

So a lot of those questions depend on what the local law says and the friendliness of the HR in your store.

HR has to manually input sick time. There was supposed to be some way to request it in workday but we can’t find it.

You can use sick time for a doctor appointment so long as it doesn’t put you over 40 hours. You can use it for a “mental health day,” but some stores are jerks about you asking for the day off. I personally prefer that my team request the day and we use sick time because then I can plan on their absence.

They cannot use days that you have used sick time against you, so keep track of that in case they start thinking they are going to issue write ups or coachings. A day you use sick time is the same as a day you showed up to work.

Back