Archived Smart Huddles

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here is a list of what we do for "smart" huddles at my store (not all on the same day thankfully):

1. Push reshop
2. Push autofills
3. Put inventory control clips (those black circles) on peghooks
4. Push clearance
5. Push PTM's

As if we don't already have enough to do. You get an 8 1/2 planogram to set. Okay, my schedule says I am there 8 1/2 hours. Minus two 15 minute breaks. Minus a half hour lunch. Minus any guest service you do. Now go push reshop from yesterday.

And they wonder why people skip going to huddles. Who wants more work?

We (in-stocks and price change) HAVE to do smart huddles. We work freight, stray, candy or ptm until about 8:45/9am. Then in-stocks can maybe work IF there's any area;s that have been worked AND backstocked (which isn't a whole lot) ----- PLUS in=stocks only has until 11am. Go figure!

1. Push reshop - hardlines

2. Push autofills - flow

3. Put inventory control clips (those black circles) on peghooks - (not really sure who does these on the store)

4. Push clearance - hardlines (1 TM)

5. Push PTM's - instocks

We've been doing mostly BTS and sometimes PFresh when the truck is late.
Oh and reshop in softlines.

Plano team tried really hard to take its break right around huddle time but they got wise to us and started waiting till we got back.

I had a five hour closing shift once and they expected me to zone and do reshop in my department (what I was brought in to do) as well as push CAFs for two hours.

Exactly what is a smart huddle, as opposed to a regular huddle?

Reg huddle = blah blah blah, same, old same, old sales, red cards, red cards, attachments, blah blah blah blah blah

smart huddle = blah blah blah, same, old same, old sales, red cards, red cards, attachments, blah blah blah blah blah.
NOW let's spend half and hour to 45 minutes doing some of the things listed by the folks above because the teams have had their hours cut to the bone by short sighted Spot.

Last edited:
The only smart huddle we do is freshness friday.

I relish the days the ETL's or LOD are too busy to call huddle. Or when they forget to overhead huddle. Those are my favorites. Later, I'll be asked why I didn't come to huddle. I look at the person and say, "Did they overhead it?"

We used to have huddle everyday at 8am. Then it got pushed back to 9am. Now it varies. Anywhere between 9am and 11 am. So, if you don't have a walkie or are near someone who has one, you don't know it's going on unless they overhead it.

When they switched from stretching excersises to smart huddles (and I think there was a lapse between) all I could think was how much more work can they expect?

I feel sorry for the guests who have to shop in softlines after I do reshop over there for smart huddle. You get this big pile of clothes in a cart to repush. If it's shoes, I just walk through and put them on a shelf in the right section. But, if it's intimates, what a mess!

our smart huddle yesterday lasted from 8am - 945. and only because we had to go to lunch before 10 or we would go on compliance. its an every day thing. add in the fact that my stl typically takes anywhere from 20 -80 hours away from my workload each week *planogram team lead* I hate smart huddle! the only thing we dont do is put inventory control clips (we call them pita.. pain in the a**) on our pegs because when we set planograms we make sure every peg has one on it. We have been doing this over a year now so pretty much our whole store is complete. We are not allowed to skip huddle and we have one every day. if we try to skip it they say * plano arent you coming to the hudddleeee we are waaaaaiiiitinggggg* rawr

So...my store did a new kind of smart huddle today: a Ticket Blitz. In a Ticket Blitz, everyone who is on the floor goes through all the fixtures in a section of Softlines and makes sure every item has a tag. Each of us got a row of racks in Infant Softlines to check. Once all the fixtures were checked, we could go about our regular business (re-shop, inventory, instocks, pricing, dealing with vendors, etc.).

"Smart Huddles" now --

So -- all the proceeding huddles -- were Dumb - or slightly "Igg-nent" huddle's --

I'd like to meet this college graduate who dreams up this crap --

On second thought ---

I'll attend huddle, but anything outside of freshness Friday -- I will not participate in. Once huddle is over, I go back to my PA routines. I don't have enough time as is to do my CTLs job, interface with vendors, do their scorecard and on top of that, all the responsibilities that the PA role entails.

STL, ETLs nor the TLs give me ****. My priority is pfresh along with CTL job in dry market. That's why I consistently get voted top performer. It's knowing when to say no and prioritize.

Plano really should do more work anyway. They soak up a lot of the payroll and use flow TMs as mules for when they have to do revisions. Must be nice, just setting labels, hooks, shelves, etc while others do the muscle work.

I'll attend huddle, but anything outside of freshness Friday -- I will not participate in. Once huddle is over, I go back to my PA routines. I don't have enough time as is to do my CTLs job, interface with vendors, do their scorecard and on top of that, all the responsibilities that the PA role entails.

STL, ETLs nor the TLs give me ****. My priority is pfresh along with CTL job in dry market. That's why I consistently get voted top performer. It's knowing when to say no and prioritize.

Plano really should do more work anyway. They soak up a lot of the payroll and use flow TMs as mules for when they have to do revisions. Must be nice, just setting labels, hooks, shelves, etc while others do the muscle work.

That must be nice....I have to do huddles, reshop, and the nightly market zone. Hell today I even did the revision for the frozen bunker, took all the product on a tub to be backstocked and pulled all the product that is on the revision and pushed it myself.

That must be nice....I have to do huddles, reshop, and the nightly market zone. Hell today I even did the revision for the frozen bunker, took all the product on a tub to be backstocked and pulled all the product that is on the revision and pushed it myself.

That would be acceptable for a PA to do. Honestly, Im not even sure if I want to let Plano do revisions in that area. I constantly get asked questions on procedures every 5 minutes over radio by plano TL. At some point, it's just quicker for me to do that sort of thing myself. If its food related, whether dry, produce, meat or bakery -- that's under PA jurisdiction.

The point I was trying to make is that my responsibility is to consumables. Period. I'm not going to go over to HBA and do a revision on hair dye, nor do dollar spot. You want me to do that, then promote me to Hardlines TL, commensurate with pay. I have enough **** to do as it is and lately, I've been skipping my last 15 just to get my stuff done and do shift handover with my other PA.

I attend huddles. I just won't do the whole Zerg hive mind swarm in a section outside of my jurisdiction just because of sloppy management. They need to own it.

Our plano team pushes, there are never enough flow people to be assigned to a project.
They also wind up getting sucked into all the 'smart' huddles and then questioned as to why the set didn't get completed on time.

Our plano team pushes, there are never enough flow people to be assigned to a project.
They also wind up getting sucked into all the 'smart' huddles and then questioned as to why the set didn't get completed on time.

Our Plano team pushes and pulls all our stuff...we do get help with pushing major sets tho...

That would be acceptable for a PA to do. Honestly, Im not even sure if I want to let Plano do revisions in that area. I constantly get asked questions on procedures every 5 minutes over radio by plano TL. At some point, it's just quicker for me to do that sort of thing myself. If its food related, whether dry, produce, meat or bakery -- that's under PA jurisdiction.

The point I was trying to make is that my responsibility is to consumables. Period. I'm not going to go over to HBA and do a revision on hair dye, nor do dollar spot. You want me to do that, then promote me to Hardlines TL, commensurate with pay. I have enough **** to do as it is and lately, I've been skipping my last 15 just to get my stuff done and do shift handover with my other PA.

Ya i pretty much never take my 15s ... But ya usually when I open the smart huddle is somewhere in apparel and basically I get chewed out if im not there. And it goes til 8:30-8:45 sometimes :( ...We never get any help for fresh and full by 4 like we are supposed to, freshness friday has been skipped the last 2 weeks, and they pull C+S push team away for call buttons and backup. One of the ETLS got into a fit and was berating me and the other PA because the push team wasnt coming to back up and help the team. I was like...Well, we need to get the push done, the food cant just sit on the floor for an hour until its pushed. One truck the other day was a 600 piece truck. Thank God we had extra people. There was 3 full freezer pallets, 2 dairy pallets and our produce pallet.

I would like to say our food culture is good, but it seems to be declining more and more. Our scores are still good though. 3.8 something on freshness and 3.65 on instocks. Availability was still in the 3.4s though last time i checked. Have been green on Steritech the 2 years ive been here too.

Last edited:
smart huddle is the new name - in the days of cave men, when I started with Target and a team needed some support, it was called an all-store push.

There was rarely anyone excused - but it was fun to do something different.

I think you need to spend some time working with plano team. we do a lot more than set up peg hooks and move shelves around. Don't assume you are the only hard working person around.

I think you need to spend some time working with plano team. we do a lot more than set up peg hooks and move shelves around. Don't assume you are the only hard working person around.

Ya Plano has alot to do at my store. Seems they are actually a bit understaffed sometimes

My opinion

As a few others have stated, in my store much of the time plano is understaffed and have a lot more work on their plate than you're describing. Maybe consider doing plano for a little while and see how it is. Get an overall view from their side and then from the whole store. Everyones there to help out and being selfish is going to tear apart a work center. Your store is most definitely different from mine and I cannot say what it's like but I hope they start helping you out a little more! Good job on top performer, a little attitude change and you will be a TL in no time! :D :good:

As a few others have stated, in my store much of the time plano is understaffed and have a lot more work on their plate than you're describing. Maybe consider doing plano for a little while and see how it is. Get an overall view from their side and then from the whole store. Everyones there to help out and being selfish is going to tear apart a work center. Your store is most definitely different from mine and I cannot say what it's like but I hope they start helping you out a little more! Good job on top performer, a little attitude change and you will be a TL in no time! :D :good:

My attitude stays at the clock the moment I clock on. I'm courteous, professional and usually help out when needed. Huddles are a waste of my time, that's why you read the huddle topics posted on board. That's the way I see it, anyway.

I have worked Plano for 3 months before, it's not that difficult. The Plano team at my particular store usually complain when they can't have flow TMs to move merchandise for them. It's not the same thing, but I can pull, set and drop 5 ECs in an hour and half in market area. Then again, I move fast, I work fast and I organize it so that I can do so efficiently and have ECs Plano spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back