Archived Snow Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me Target's snow policy?

Is there a phone number or way to find out if my Target is opening late if no one is in the store? For example, if you are scheduled to open and the opening manager has not arrived, how do you know if Target is opening on time or late? How much notice does Target give if opening late - if scheduled to open at 8a, will they make a decision by 7a or 6a?

Does Target pay employees who are scheduled for hours when Target is opening late or closing early? For example, if you are scheduled 8a - 12p and Target opens late at 12p, do you get paid the 4 hours, get the option of working 4 hours later that day/week, or just have the shift unpaid and cancelled?

How do you call out if no one is there to answer the phone? For example, if you are scheduled to open and the opening manager has not arrived yet, how do you call out?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

In my experience with snow storms, Spot doesn’t close or open late often for snow.

I haven’t experienced a late opening but in my experience is if you showed up to work and the opening key carrier wasnt there and you wait for them to show up, you would be able to submit a punch correction.

Sometimes having the STLs or another key carrier number contact can be handy as they can reach out. If you don’t have that info, there might be another peer in your store who does

You have a better chance of seeing hell freeze over before Target closes due to a snowstorm. We have had declared snow emergencies by the governor. You are expected to make an effort. You could go out an clean off your car, assess the situation and go back inside and call out. Effort made, lol.

Call out if you cannot make it. More than likely, you'll be marked NCNS unless you have a real, legitimate reason to not make it in I.E car battery is dead and you need a new one, your car is caved in with snow(you should be able to dig it out, though), the road is nothing but ice(in that case, you call in saying you will be late)

There was a cart attendant who called out last year for 8" of snow, got fired. Was his third NCNS.

Call out if you cannot make it. More than likely, you'll be marked NCNS unless you have a real, legitimate reason to not make it in I.E car battery is dead and you need a new one, your car is caved in with snow(you should be able to dig it out, though), the road is nothing but ice(in that case, you call in saying you will be late)

There was a cart attendant who called out last year for 8" of snow, got fired. Was his third NCNS.
If he called out, how was it a NCNS?

LODs arent supposed to ask you why you're calling out
That's odd, because I'm always harassed by HR for the reason why a TM called out, so I always ask. Whether or not a TM wants to tell me is up to them. I've personally never seen a best practice or directive that says the LOD cannot ask.

If there's a statewide driving ban, Target will close. Otherwise they'll almost certainly be open. If you don't want to go to work, call out. It will count as a call out, but that should be fine assuming you don't have a larger attendance issue.

If a TM has a valid reason to call off, providing it should benefit them attendance-wise. When we classify absences on time cards, we can add comments to note the reason. These comments show up on the attendance report to indicate that the TM had a good reason for being absent.

Last edited:
If a TM has a valid reason to call off, providing it should benefit them attendance-wise. When we classify absences on time cards, we can add comments to note the reason. These comments show up on the attendance report to indicate that the TM had a good reason for being absent.

Bingo, had a tm refuse to share their mom died until months later. All I wanted to do was tell them about funeral pay.

You have a better chance of seeing hell freeze over before Target closes due to a snowstorm. We have had declared snow emergencies by the governor. You are expected to make an effort. You could go out an clean off your car, assess the situation and go back inside and call out. Effort made, lol.
I assess the amount of fucks I have to get out of bed before I call out

I'm usually running low when a snow storm hits

My store doesnt do this. A call out is a call out as far as they're concerned.

If there's a statewide driving ban, Target will close. Otherwise they'll almost certainly be open.

My store has opened in blizzards with our governor calling for travel bans. And we have closed at 1pm when snow was falling literally 3 inches an hour. Those are the reasons I hoard my vacation hours during 4th quarter, my state can get completely wrecked and I don't have a 4x4.

If you get to work at 7am for your 7am shift and aren't let into the store until 8am, you punch correct for that time you were waiting to be let in. You reported to and were at work on time and need to be paid for it. If HR or anyone else complains, tell them they should take it up with the LOD who was late and had you wasting company time by sitting there locked outside lol

Target never closes for snow. Never.

(there was one time the city police chief said all on the roads would be given citations and he stopped at the store and told the stl if he didn’t close he would face a hefty fine. He called hq and got permission to close that time. But that was once in 24 years and 8 targets I’ve worked in.)

Target never closes for snow. Never.

(there was one time the city police chief said all on the roads would be given citations and he stopped at the store and told the stl if he didn’t close he would face a hefty fine. He called hq and got permission to close that time. But that was once in 24 years and 8 targets I’ve worked in.)

Same management I had when we had a brush fire burning to the doors of our office building. LAFD told them to send us home or they would fine $1000 for every head on the floor.. $1000 x 250 adds up quick..

I am pretty sure the PMDirectors make that call now. They can close a store, they closed one in my district when the power was out and the generators were only powering part of the store.

I wonder how much of the "we never close for snow" thing is because Target is based in MN. Aside from school closings and occasionally the airport (briefly) there pretty much isn't an apocalyptic enough level of snow to close much of anything in MN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back