Archived So..Should I have called 911?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today at my store, we had an incident with a team member. I am another team member, but we'll call the incident team member Amber. Amber had been giddy and friendly all day till about 10:30 when she had her break. I had my break at about 11:00. I went to the back and saw her laying on a sofa, completely out of it with water in her hands. She was shaky. I tried to ask if she was okay, but she was too zoned out to say anything. Our LOD was beside her. After I got a drink and a snack, I reentered in which my LOD told me to watch over Amber. Amber was laying back with her head up, and eyes closed. I called her name on multiple occasions, but she did not respond until I physically tapped her or shook her. She stared at me with a blank gaze. I asked her if she had ate anything or drank anything. She did not respond. Our LOD brought in a gatorade and tried to get Amber to talk. Amber tried to go back into an unresponsivs state where her eyes were closed. We asked her address on multiple occassions to try and get her home, but she could only tell us the numbers. She said she couldn't focus or remember. My LOD tried to pull up her address in the system so we could get her home. Amber proceeds to sit up, and cover her face with her hands, like she was about to hurl up the gatorade she just drank. She went and laid back, unresponsive again. After a few moments, Amber sat back up and said everything was spinning but she had to go to the bathroom. I helped her to the door of the bathroom, and told her to yell if she needed me. I stood outside the door and waited. We eventually found someone in the store who knew where Amber lived, and even after she was being led outside by two team members, she was stumbling and mumbling. A part of me was wondering if I should have dialed 911 when he became unresponsive to us?

Note: Never once did my LOD suggest taking him to the hospital or calling 911. We are two minutes away from a hospital.

Last edited:
I did want to take him to the hospital, but my LOD never mentioned it. I didnt want to go against what my LOD wanted

Who would i bring it up to? I don't want my LOD to know I reported her..

I wouldn't 'report' it.
I would ask for clarification as to the procedure in medical emergencies.
Stress the idea that the store could be libel and that lives could be at stake.
You don't have to mention the actual event but make it clear that you are speaking from experience and they will follow up with you.

I find most lod don't understand diabetic events and thus let the tm tell them it will be ok when it's convenient. We call ambulance even if they don't end up transporting ad it's a good way to actually show we weren't just overreacting.

Today at my store, we had an incident with a team member. I am another team member, but we'll call the incident team member Amber. Amber had been giddy and friendly all day till about 10:30 when she had her break. I had my break at about 11:00. I went to the back and saw her laying on a sofa, completely out of it with water in her hands. She was shaky. I tried to ask if she was okay, but she was too zoned out to say anything. Our LOD was beside her. After I got a drink and a snack, I reentered in which my LOD told me to watch over Amber. Amber was laying back with her head up, and eyes closed. I called her name on multiple occasions, but she did not respond until I physically tapped her or shook her. She stared at me with a blank gaze. I asked her if she had ate anything or drank anything. She did not respond. Our LOD brought in a gatorade and tried to get Amber to talk. Amber tried to go back into an unresponsivs state where her eyes were closed. We asked her address on multiple occassions to try and get her home, but she could only tell us the numbers. She said she couldn't focus or remember. My LOD tried to pull up her address in the system so we could get her home. Amber proceeds to sit up, and cover her face with her hands, like she was about to hurl up the gatorade she just drank. She went and laid back, unresponsive again. After a few moments, Amber sat back up and said everything was spinning but she had to go to the bathroom. I helped her to the door of the bathroom, and told her to yell if she needed me. I stood outside the door and waited. We eventually found someone in the store who knew where Amber lived, and even after she was being led outside by two team members, she was stumbling and mumbling. A part of me was wondering if I should have dialed 911 when he became unresponsive to us?

Note: Never once did my LOD suggest taking him to the hospital or calling 911. We are two minutes away from a hospital.
You have sofas? I am jealous.

Yes, anytime someone is unresponsive call 911. Being unresponsive can be a sign of some serious physical and neurological problems that require emergency care. I hope Amber is alright

We used to have 1 sofa and 2 armchairs that were salvage displays, but after district leadership came in we had to remove them.
I normally am not there when District visits. I am part time, meaning they barely give me 5-10 hours a week. I haven't heard them say anything to us about ours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back