Archived Softlines Team Leaders - HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meli4Target

Executive Team Leader- Human Resources
Hey everyone! So a little about me. I was a Pricing & Presentation Team Leader a few years ago, left target, came back as a PA, got promoted to TL again, was on the bench for 6 months, and now will be the Softlines Team Leader at my store.

Was just wondering what kind of routines you have in place with your team, whats your partnership look like with the VMTL and the merchandising team. Ive planned for new sets, and doing pog related work so i feel like im great with the planning/executing aspect of getting sets/adjacencies done. my concern is keeping up with the SL brand, fitting room expectations/brand, stuff like that? any advice, comments is appreciated!

I have a fitting room cleaning schedule posted so on Mondays, they do the mirrors, Tuesday the walls, etc. TM's are required to do their own rewraps, defectives, empty packages. My fitting room is not the operator, so I have them sort for 30 mins, put stuff out for 30 mins. They also need to check the rooms for tags and clothing every hour, we use the restroom announcement as a reminder. They are also to do a mid day zone for 30 minutes, this week it's the tables in RTW because of the sale.

I have a fitting room cleaning schedule posted so on Mondays, they do the mirrors, Tuesday the walls, etc. TM's are required to do their own rewraps, defectives, empty packages. My fitting room is not the operator, so I have them sort for 30 mins, put stuff out for 30 mins. They also need to check the rooms for tags and clothing every hour, we use the restroom announcement as a reminder. They are also to do a mid day zone for 30 minutes, this week it's the tables in RTW because of the sale.

I hope my store leadership doesn't see this post lol it might give them ideas. We do rewraps, defectives, and empty packages, but wiping mirrors and walls? Nope. Our cleaners do that. We only cover operator breaks in the morning, but at night, we are operator. This schedule is only for the morning fitting room person, right? At night, we are way too busy sorting and putting reshop away, not to mention helping with the zone. Also, morning team does not zone. I do a bit cause I'm anal like that, but it is not required.

Welcome to softlines! I highly recommend you have a check-in with every single one of your team members in order to get to know them and make sure you are on the same page regarding routines and expectations.

Depending on store volume/payroll, you might have an opening team or just the fitting room operator. Softlines at my store is a huge, profitable beast, so I have two brands, a reshop person, and a fitting room TM every morning. The fitting room TM sorts reshop, answers phones, and does rewrap and defects. We do a quick midday zone in any areas that need a refresh (this always takes about 20-30 min). Brands have a daily routine they have to complete in the first couple hours of their shift, and then they usually have a project + have to put away reshop for their area. We also have a communication binder in the fitting room where I leave notes for the team and they share suggestions or tell me about any issue they might have had during their shift.

Your VMTL will be an invaluable resource, so hopefully you have a good one who will be your partner in making softlines beautiful. Mine always helps my accessories and intimates brand with merchandising decisions and flexing PTM in a way that is visually appealing. We do not follow adjacencies to the letter, but work together to make our floorpad look like a boutique. You should work with the VMTL in educating the team re: merchandising best practices.

I have five softlines closers every night (six on the weekends) and all of them have assigned zones. They are in charge of putting away reshop for their areas for the first hour they're here, and then they do a detailed zone. Every single section gets zoned every single night - finger-spacing, basics pulled forward, crisp folds. Since we take such good care of our zones, things never get out of control and our brand is on point every day. This sounds like a huge undertaking, but once you get your department to where it needs to be, it gets relatively easy to maintain.

Make sure you recognize your team for all the hard work they do and be there to teach and train them every step of the way. Everyone who is interested in learning should know how to scan outs, merchandise, pull and backstock, and set salesplanners. Foster a sense of pride in their work and try to get them to feel like a family. Most importantly, learn everything you can about softlines and make sure you work much harder than your best and most productive TM.

Good luck! Softlines is challenging, but if you build a good team it is pretty fun as well!

Thank you everyone for the amazing advice! I cannot wait to dive into the department

Depending on store volume/payroll, you might have an opening team or just the fitting room operator. Softlines at my store is a huge, profitable beast, so I have two brands, a reshop person, and a fitting room TM every morning. The fitting room TM sorts reshop, answers phones, and does rewrap and defects. We do a quick midday zone in any areas that need a refresh (this always takes about 20-30 min). Brands have a daily routine they have to complete in the first couple hours of their shift, and then they usually have a project + have to put away reshop for their area. We also have a communication binder in the fitting room where I leave notes for the team and they share suggestions or tell me about any issue they might have had during their shift.

Your VMTL will be an invaluable resource, so hopefully you have a good one who will be your partner in making softlines beautiful. Mine always helps my accessories and intimates brand with merchandising decisions and flexing PTM in a way that is visually appealing. We do not follow adjacencies to the letter, but work together to make our floorpad look like a boutique. You should work with the VMTL in educating the team re: merchandising best practices.

This all sounds exactly like my store, including the communication binder!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back