Archived Some cashiering questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! So I'm a new Guest Service Team Member (but let's just call it a "cashier" for my own sanity). I had some cashiering questions that I've been wanting to ask... I appreciate the help in advance!

1. Do I need to report to my GSTL when I start my shift? Or can I just jump on any register and just start? (Sometimes I have trouble locating my GSTL and don't want to be wandering around like a dodo for 5 minutes when I could just be ringing people up already)
2. Similar questions with breaks - someone tells me when my break is ahead of time, but do I need to report to them to tell them I am going to take my break? (Also, I felt kind of awkward that I left during a busier time. But I need to take my break when they tell me to, right?)
3. How ON EARTH do I open the various security things for the electronics?? (There are like 3 different kinds that I've come across and I felt super bad that I had to have the cashier in the lane next to me do it for me more than once. I've been shown how to do them but they do it so quickly that I can't properly learn how to remove them. PLEASE HELP 😭)
4. I was told, at orientation, that our name badges and TM discount cards would arrive in 2 weeks. When I reach that 2-week mark, who do I ask if they arrived? HR or..?

I've read various threads that complain about Target's cashier training and how every new cashier seems to be thrown into the ring of fire with high expectations of being able to do and know everything (quickly!). That sucks. Because I get it now 😫

And I have more questions but I already forgot them. I'll come back to ask more after my next shift 😟

Training is basically "The Hunger Games: Target Edition."

1. Yes, you need to check in with your GSTL as they may send you to to cover someone's break or relieve someone who came up for back-up.
2. Your GSTL will tell you when your breaks are & should either send someone over to relieve you or turn off your light when it's time to take your break. Sometimes breaks/lunches may be delayed if there's a rush; likewise, if it's slow & you're well past your break time you should alert your GSTL.
3. Again, your GSTL or an experienced cashier can instruct you in removal of security devices; this isn't something that should be discussed on a forum viewed by non-TMs.
4. You'll be issued a temporary name badge & TM discount card but you can check with your HRTM/HRTL to see if your permanent ones have come in.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Last edited:
Thanks! Hopefully, I can come out as the Katniss Everdeen in this case...

Haven't gotten a temporary name badge, though! And no one has noticed 🤔 But I have seen others with name stickers. Also, didn't even realize about the security devices 😬 (sorry!) . Maybe I'll ask someone to show me when it's not busy.

Two quick tips:

1) never ever let a guest tell you what buttons to press on the register. if they do, step away from the register and turn your blinker on (the guest will probably get scared and leave).
2) probably the most important rule: trust your gut. if something doesn't feel right, even if the guest is being nice and pleasant, it's probably not right. call GSTL even if you don't have a good reason. better safe than sorry. (watch for coupon fraud)

Two quick tips:

1) never ever let a guest tell you what buttons to press on the register. if they do, step away from the register and turn your blinker on (the guest will probably get scared and leave).
2) probably the most important rule: trust your gut. if something doesn't feel right, even if the guest is being nice and pleasant, it's probably not right. call GSTL even if you don't have a good reason. better safe than sorry. (watch for coupon fraud)
This.
Scammers ALWAYS look for the new & inexperienced.

At my store the name badges are stuck on a filing cabinet by one of the computers in tsc once they arrive. The TM discount cards are kept at guest service in the locked drawer where paychecks are kept.

Security tip: if you leave your register even for 30 seconds, log out! Keep your speed ID in an inconspicuous place, not on the register. Sad to say, you can't trust strangers who could quickly scan your speed ID and rob your till blind while you're just a few feet away.

Another tip: making change. As a newbie, if a guest hands you paper money, you hit "cash" and have keyed in the dollars and cents, then open the drawer, don't get distracted by the guest offering "here, let me give you 22 cents" or "here's an extra six dollars" so they don't get coins or small bills back. Count out the bills and change exactly as on the screen, then tell the guest, let me count this out and then I can change this out as you like. Guest might ridicule you that "can't you make change", but you don't want to make mistakes on this. Once or twice in the past, I think the "here let me give you extra coins/bills..." thing was a distracting hoax to throw me off and then complain to the GSTL or even LOD that they didn't get all of their change.

Another tip: making change. As a newbie, if a guest hands you paper money, you hit "cash" and have keyed in the dollars and cents, then open the drawer, don't get distracted by the guest offering "here, let me give you 22 cents" or "here's an extra six dollars" so they don't get coins or small bills back. Count out the bills and change exactly as on the screen, then tell the guest, let me count this out and then I can change this out as you like. Guest might ridicule you that "can't you make change", but you don't want to make mistakes on this. Once or twice in the past, I think the "here let me give you extra coins/bills..." thing was a distracting hoax to throw me off and then complain to the GSTL or even LOD that they didn't get all of their change.
Yes-- guests will use that to try to mix you up and get more change. I do the same thing-- count out what POS says then go from there.

also goes without saying but k1 cash is ONLY ONLY ONLY for paper cash. no exceptions. there is no such thing as a cash card. if a guest claims they have one, do not press anything and ask them to insert the card, say the computer will pick the right method. if they refuse call AP or GSTL.

I'm gonna be that guy, but...

You're not a GSTM anymore. You're a Service and Engagement Advocate (SEA).
Your leader is not the GSTL anymore. It's the Service and Engagement Team Leader (SETL).

Modern titles, everyone!! 😀:D

At my store we don't make change for people. It avoids a lot of potential issues. They can request cash back a certain way, but there's no swapping money back and forth allowed.

Your leader is not the GSTL anymore. It's the Service and Engagement Team Leader (SETL).

Actually at my store we haven’t switched over yet (we are in the coming weeks)

I’ll always be a GSTM at heart 😜

While you're waiting for your discount card you can also use the Target for the discount. Just enter your TM number under settings then scan the wallet barcode, even if you don't have a red card. The Target app saved me with the discount as it took about a month for me to finally get my card

The new title for guest service and cashiers is actually Guest Advocate if you want to get into semantics 😂😅 and the new title for GSTL is SEL (Service and Engagement Lead), I think the T gets dropped.

SEA is an outdated term for GSA which was used during the pilot phase in some stores but is no longer used.

The new title for guest service and cashiers is actually Guest Advocate if you want to get into semantics 😂😅 and the new title for GSTL is SEL (Service and Engagement Lead), I think the T gets dropped.

SEA is an outdated term for GSA which was used during the pilot phase in some stores but is no longer used.
Modern titles or not, I'll likely always be a serf.

T was dropped in earlier pilots but was added back to distinguish lead from leader. TL and ETL stay.

This isn't really relevant, but there is this veteran cashier who's been at my store for about 10 years, if not longer, and he always asks me to remove the spider wraps for him when guests buy items with spider wrap on them. He doesn't even try anymore, he just asks me to take them off when needed. I would be more understanding if a team member who is backing up or relatively new struggled with spider wrap, but not someone who's been at Spot far longer than most other team members at my store.

Hey all! So I'm a new Guest Service Team Member (but let's just call it a "cashier" for my own sanity). I had some cashiering questions that I've been wanting to ask... I appreciate the help in advance!

1. Do I need to report to my GSTL when I start my shift? Or can I just jump on any register and just start? (Sometimes I have trouble locating my GSTL and don't want to be wandering around like a dodo for 5 minutes when I could just be ringing people up already)
2. Similar questions with breaks - someone tells me when my break is ahead of time, but do I need to report to them to tell them I am going to take my break? (Also, I felt kind of awkward that I left during a busier time. But I need to take my break when they tell me to, right?)
3. How ON EARTH do I open the various security things for the electronics?? (There are like 3 different kinds that I've come across and I felt super bad that I had to have the cashier in the lane next to me do it for me more than once. I've been shown how to do them but they do it so quickly that I can't properly learn how to remove them. PLEASE HELP 😭)
4. I was told, at orientation, that our name badges and TM discount cards would arrive in 2 weeks. When I reach that 2-week mark, who do I ask if they arrived? HR or..?

I've read various threads that complain about Target's cashier training and how every new cashier seems to be thrown into the ring of fire with high expectations of being able to do and know everything (quickly!). That sucks. Because I get it now 😫

And I have more questions but I already forgot them. I'll come back to ask more after my next shift 😟
1. Being new yes. Its proper for your TLs to know you have clocked in.
Hopefully your store and FrontEnd is well organized. A well organized FrontEnd should have a breakout list of cashier schedules, breaks/lunches, and lane assignments.
Or your GSTL will give your lane assignment.
2.See above
Or your GSTL will tell you to go on break after someone returns from their break
Or they will assist in closing your lane for you to go on break.
If you it gets 15 after your scheduled time, ask the GSTL.
Never leave without inquiring or notifying someone.
3. Spiders just take learning. Have the GSTL show you.
4. Your badge may be at the time clock, or be given to by your TL. Discount cards come with your checks/stubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back