Spread The Word To End The Word

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
A thread got derailed because of this subject and I thought it was worth starting it's very own.
Just like when I was in high school and fag was used pretty commonly, retarded needs to stop.
This is a good public service announcement from actress Lauren Potter of Glee.

Last edited:
B

Barcode

I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I don't see anything wrong with the word retarded. Then again I sometimes feel we go out of our way to be politically correct and this is one of those cases.

It's one thing to use the word jokingly, aka calling your friend a retard for hitting a parked car, etc. and totally another using it hurtfully towards those with Down syndrome.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goes back to the whole question of why use a word that people who could be hurt by it ask you not to?
I figure I have a big enough of a vocabulary to find plenty of words that will work just as well.

In fact I enjoy the challenge of paying attention to the word choices I make.
I don't always control what I say but I'm pretty careful about how I say it.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I don't see anything wrong with the word retarded. Then again I sometimes feel we go out of our way to be politically correct and this is one of those cases.
It's one thing to use the word jokingly, aka calling your friend a retard for hitting a parked car, etc. and totally another using it hurtfully towards those with Down syndrome.
It's another thing when it's something you live with day after day, hearing it directed at your kid & NOT in a joking manner.
My husband brought the boys by the store while I was first working FA. Middle son was being his usual goofy, loud self which startled a woman & her kids in line. Her 13ish daughter commented on "that retard" & the mom laughed.
She stopped laughing when she stepped up to pay & I said "That 'retard' is my son." with a not-too-friendly expression.
They didn't say another word. No apology. Nothing.

The word "retard" is offensive, but it does bring up a funny movie that I just saw again tonight, "There's Something about Mary..."

B

Barcode

Goes back to the whole question of why use a word that people who could be hurt by it ask you not to?
I figure I have a big enough of a vocabulary to find plenty of words that will work just as well.

In fact I enjoy the challenge of paying attention to the word choices I make.
I don't always control what I say but I'm pretty careful about how I say it.
Well someone could be offended if I called a friend a Jew for being a cheapskate. Yet a lot of people are a lot more okay with that kind of humor. You're only offended if you let yourself be (granted if the intent is malicious, you very well SHOULD be...), however people who get offended over "jokes" have thin skin in my opinion. Of course some jokes aren't appropriate in the workplace,etc.etc. but that's a whole other topic.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
If I, as a Jew, want to make a Jewish joke it's no problem.
Just like black comedians can make black jokes etc. etc.
So if a comedian with Down Syndrome wants to use the word, I guess that's cool.
This isn't about jokes.

It's about words and how they are used.
This one has met it's end.

B

Barcode

That's a matter of opinion. Maybe its met its end for the uber politically correct. Why should it matter if it comes from a comedian? Aren't regular people allowed to make jokes too? Jeez.

Excuse me, but people get way too butthurt over stupid stuff (just my opinion!)

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Maybe when it's YOUR family member being treated like a lower life form you'll finally get it.
It's not being 'PC' or 'stupid stuff' when you deal with it up-front & personal 24/7.
Tell me: do you casually toss the n-word around with black friends?

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
So sorry Angel.
My deepest condolences.

B

Barcode

Maybe when it's YOUR family member being treated like a lower life form you'll finally get it.
It's not being 'PC' or 'stupid stuff' when you deal with it up-front & personal 24/7.
Tell me: do you casually toss the n-word around with black friends?
Who said anyone was treating people with Down Syndrome like a lower life form? And no I don't call black people the N word just like I don't call people with Down Syndrome retards.

I refuse to let society tell me which words I can and cannot use, especially in a non-hateful context.

The world is filled with selfish and insensitive people. A group of like individuals have said that this word offends them. If it's a joke, it is a joke at the expense of those who are offended. Even if the reasons that they are offended are not understood, the fact that some feel that their personal preferences and agendas are more important than the feeling of dignity in others speaks volumes about those individuals and their respect for their fellow human beings. If they can so easily disregard and disrespect the most innocent of our society over "just a word" and feel the need to be self-serving, defensive, and self-righteous about it I question their integrity and motivation in other decisions that they make. If it's "just a word" then it should be quite easy to substitute one that is not offensive.

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
@Angel: my condolences. My cousin lost a child born with Trisomy 18.

@Barcode: You have the right to say what you want & use whatever words you want.
You DON'T have the right to demand our approval of such use.
It also tends to lower my opinion of people who insist upon using such terms even when you know how others feel about it.

Angel, my sincere sympathy to you and your family. Your beautiful Audrey shares a birthday with my son, who also has a chromosome disorder. I hope that you have many happy memories to comfort you.

B

Barcode

@redeye58 Its rather snarky to look down on someone for using a term in a joke context. I'm not a politician so I'm not looking for approval for what I say, if people want to cry over a joke (its not the first time), then so be it. I don't have to force your approval, but I have the right to my opinion that it is silly to play the word cop. At any rate I'm done arguing over it.

@Angel So sorry for your loss :(