Archived Staples takes a stand, will close stores on Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarZHAYnotTarGET

Former Salesfloor TM
Staples takes a stand, will close stores on Thanksgiving

I can't imagine Target ever doing this, but I have a lot of respect for Staples for taking this step. I remember the two black Fridays I worked at Target as two of the most hectic days of my life, and having to work on Thanksgiving in that job just wasn't fun.

I haven't been to a Staples in probably 10 years, but now I kind of want to see what the stores are like.

BTW, does anyone know what time their store is opening on BF yet?

That would be such a great PR move for Target. We have simply got to rethink black friday. The world of retail has changed dramatically in 5 years, but we just keep doing the same stupid holiday ritual. With online shopping, we need to break our deals out over a 4-6 week span. Have Sat-Sun door busters begging in November. The week of Thanksgiving do 2 or 3 a day. It use to be Black Friday your specials were simply loss leaders and people piled their carts high of other things. Now people come in for the cheap TV and other 2 day items and thats it. The payroll involved is ridiculous, not to mention the lack of respect for your team. How hypocritical Target is when they spout "work life balance". The prep time for a one day sale is ridiculous. Come on Target you are usually on the cutting edge of out of the box thinking, you should be better than this tired old tradition.

I just wish everyone would stay home on Thanksgiving. I wish they would just all decide to wait until Friday. If that happened, brown Thursday would be dead forever lol. Why open on Thanksgiving if no one buys anything? The only reason we open early I'd because assholes are willing to come to the store to shop. :mad:

Our STL has told us to expect 6 or 7pm at the earliest.

I personally don't understand why they continue to do it. It was so dead last year, we only had a line at the checkout for 20-30 minutes (and it was moving at a brisk pace). Flow team was scheduled on crowd and line management for 2 hours before moving to truck unload, but we ended up starting less than an hour after the store had opened.

I remember shopping at my store in years past and the line to check out zig-zagged through all of market/paper/chem/pets and took well over an hour to check out.

The worst part of it all is that all those extra hours do not create much more in the way of sales than the old traditional Black Friday. Over all stores spend much more in payroll that they make up for in sales. These longer hours lose money over all. Still the company line is that they might lose more by not being open. I sincerely doubt that. For Staples it is good PR and over all they will make for profit. Win win.

Just found out we're gonna be open until midnight on Christmas eve which means ill probaby have to work because i dont have a kid of my own.. that's bull.. 9pm was bad enough. Now I can't even see my nephews excitement when he goes to bed..

Last edited:
That would be such a great PR move for Target. We have simply got to rethink black friday. The world of retail has changed dramatically in 5 years, but we just keep doing the same stupid holiday ritual. With online shopping, we need to break our deals out over a 4-6 week span. Have Sat-Sun door busters begging in November. The week of Thanksgiving do 2 or 3 a day. It use to be Black Friday your specials were simply loss leaders and people piled their carts high of other things. Now people come in for the cheap TV and other 2 day items and thats it. The payroll involved is ridiculous, not to mention the lack of respect for your team. How hypocritical Target is when they spout "work life balance". The prep time for a one day sale is ridiculous. Come on Target you are usually on the cutting edge of out of the box thinking, you should be better than this tired old tradition.

Last year was a bust at my store, sure sales were fine but we did not have the crowds we were predicted to have. They sent most of us home early.

If my Thanksgiving is going to be destroyed by this, no way am I going home early.

I had a dog that I knew could use a potty beak at home so early was good for me. It was a hour or so, not a big deal. I still got a full 8hr of a 10hr sift.

Just found out we're gonna be open until midnight on Christmas eve which means ill probaby have to work because i dont have a kid of my own.. that's bull.. 9pm was bad enough. Now I can't even see my nephews excitement when he goes to bed..

Ugh... I just rolled my eyes so hard. Not at you... At midnight on Christmas Eve.

I wouldn't mind working thanksgiving if people came. Last year was borrrring as fuck working the first shift. I usually volunteer for the opening because I see my family pretty often. I love thanksgiving, but eh, if I volunteer a coworker who really doesn't wanna work might not have to. But I didn't do that this year, because I don't wanna work two shifts for boring ass Black Friday. My first year was pretty exciting (2012, 9pm), but whatever time we opened last year was ugh. No thanks. It looked like a 4th quarter Wednesday after the first hour. And then they use the same old terrible caterers every year. There wasn't a single positive last year. Wait I lied... Eagles won.

Ugh... I just rolled my eyes so hard. Not at you... At midnight on Christmas Eve.

I wouldn't mind working thanksgiving if people came. Last year was borrrring as fuck working the first shift. I usually volunteer for the opening because I see my family pretty often. I love thanksgiving, but eh, if I volunteer a coworker who really doesn't wanna work might not have to. But I didn't do that this year, because I don't wanna work two shifts for boring ass Black Friday. My first year was pretty exciting (2012, 9pm), but whatever time we opened last year was ugh. No thanks. It looked like a 4th quarter Wednesday after the first hour. And then they use the same old terrible caterers every year. There wasn't a single positive last year. Wait I lied... Eagles won.

I usually volunteer for openings on thanksgiving/black friday too. After 5 hours with my family I've had enough and don't mind going into work for $16 an hour (plus the 8 hours I already get paid for Thanksgiving). I couldn't believe it when I heard midnight from my hr though. We did 10 one year and that last hour (Walmart closed at 9) was beyond crazy. We couldn't even get people out of the store after announcing the registers would automatically shut down at 1030.

I don't know if I'm going to do it this year though. For my crowd control shift last year I put up signs because nobody wanted to stay the night before and put them up. Lol

Last edited:
Just found out we'll be opening at 7am at some point too, maybe the week of Christmas? Are people even shopping that early?

Just found out we'll be opening at 7am at some point too, maybe the week of Christmas? Are people even shopping that early?

Very few people even realize we have extended hours until a week before. Then we get a little busier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back