Archived Starting receiver training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

One of my store's overnight receivers switched to day shift, leaving a hole in our team. The overnight TLs have been taking turns covering the 2 nights a week when we don't have a receiver, but you can probably imagine how they feel about having to do so. A BR TL asked me if I was interested in becoming a receiver. I told him I'd try it out, but I didn't want to work a job I hated, so if I didn't like it I wouldn't do it for long.

On the one hand, I'm honored that he asked me. I've been with Target less than a year, I have no prior retail (or warehouse) experience, yet they keep giving me the opportunity to learn new positions. I have learned more than most of the people who have been there the same amount of time. I think most of the TLs view me as a valuable team member.

On the other hand, the TL only asked me because I already work the needed days in the backroom, and his only other options are hiring someone new (we don't have the payroll right now) or train a flow employee (they either suck or they're uninterested in the BR).

And I'm not really sure I want to do this. Rumor is that the receiver who switched to dayside did so because he couldn't handle the overnight stress. I don't know if that's true, but he was always stressed out when I worked with him. Our other receiver told me that its a very stressful job, and most people can't handle it. He did say that I'd do fine at it...

So am I making a mistake taking on this new roll? I understand that every store is different, but maybe general opinions would help. I like my job as it is. I don't want to get stuck doing something I dislike or am unable to effectively do. And I could get stuck, I've seen people get stuck in positions there.

Also, does anyone have any tips for a receiver-in-training?

Wait how many receivers does your store have?? Our dock hours are M-F, 8-noon. I can't fathom having so much going on that you need separate day and (multiple?) overnight shifts.

Do people come outside your dock hours? We have enough issues with pos vendors coming all times of the day, hard to imagine 8-12 window being followed.

Do people come outside your dock hours? We have enough issues with pos vendors coming all times of the day, hard to imagine 8-12 window being followed.
Yes and we tell them too fucking bad. The hours are clearly posted in multiple places inside and outside the building. The only exceptions are package/freight delivery, FDC/McLane, and ESIM pickup.

Not serious answer: run. Check my post history for some of the things I have had to deal with since taking this position on.

Serious answer: Receiving is indeed stressful. And if its overnight, you've got the extra stress of working those hours. You've got to be good at dealing with people and things coming from all directions because there's a lot going on. If you get started off on the right foot with solid training and support it might not be terrible? I wouldn't know. Its worth giving it a try and see how you feel about it.

re: Dock hours. From what I remember skimming Workbench, stores high enough on the org chart take Saturday deliveries and I'm guessing you'd want two receivers to rotate or something. I've heard of Walmarts having multiple receivers too. I'm just Org 2 so M-F, 8a-1p are our hours. I've told vendors if they're running late give me a call and I'll see what I can do since I'm usually scheduled past 1p but for the most part its followed. Get the occasional fun of a driver showing up early and parks in the one open dock, then FDC decides to show up and they get booted.

The receiver works overnight?? Are you sure you are talking about the receiving desk?? Or trailer unload and you will be responsible for "receiving" meaning put the pallets up in the steel???

I work m-f 6am-2:30
We have a Saturday receiver.

I refuse to work any other position in the store. I like it more then anything else I've done in my 10 years at the targhetto

No idea about overnight spot, but my receiver is like a king in his castle. He's never leaving that position.

When I took on signing I required them to put in writing I could move back if I hated it in a couple months. I asked they think about an alternate choice in that time.

Bumpin this up to ask questions

A receiver position opened up at my store, and my ETL LOG didnt seem against me trying out for it. So I gotta set up an interview, but before that can someone tell me what exactly receiver does? I know they deal with vendors quite a bit?? All I know is the hours are from like 6 to 1 m-f which has my interest, and what pay grade is it? I love electronics, but hate my etl enough that I wanna try something new. It will probs be temporary while the current reciever is in the hospital/recovering for a few months. Im in a low volume store if that affects anything.

oh god yes my cats will be eating like kings if i can land that

Bumpin this up to ask questions

A receiver position opened up at my store, and my ETL LOG didnt seem against me trying out for it. So I gotta set up an interview, but before that can someone tell me what exactly receiver does? I know they deal with vendors quite a bit?? All I know is the hours are from like 6 to 1 m-f which has my interest, and what pay grade is it? I love electronics, but hate my etl enough that I wanna try something new. It will probs be temporary while the current reciever is in the hospital/recovering for a few months. Im in a low volume store if that affects anything.
You'd handle all non-HQ product coming into the store. Vendor product is one of the big focuses. You verify that they're bringing in the product on the bill and scan it into the system. You also would deal with MIRs (Merchant Initiated Returns) which is when product in your store is sent back to be redistributed/whatever they do with it. Some stores have their receiver also own bulk.

That's about all I know.

You also handle defectives, ESIM, sweeps, salvage, CRC, recalls, mail and a lot of "I don't know what to do with this but I'm assuming you take care of it."

If your store treats receiving as part of the team and not a dungeon where elves just make problems go away it might be a good move I guess.

Interviews for the position start at the end of this week, is there anything you guys would recommend mentioning that would impress the etl log?

Interviews for the position start at the end of this week, is there anything you guys would recommend mentioning that would impress the etl log?

Ability to stand up to vendors.

Also at most stores you will make the bales so any experience with that will help

Ability to stand up to vendors.

Also at most stores you will make the bales so any experience with that will help
Oh good I stand up to couponers and resellers so Im probably good in that department

Shame I dont know how to nake bales...

or what they are

I was asked once and said no.

I'd need a hell of a raise to do that job.

You will need to bust your ass, bottom line.
im basically praying that because its a low volume store it wont be so bad the current receiver has been here for years and doesnt seem overly stressed from what hes told me before

Oh good I stand up to couponers and resellers so Im probably good in that department

or what they are

It's the end result of when cardboard is crushed and then tied into a neat cube. You can observe your receiver do it and ask ant questions you may have. Sounds like one of those things that gets easier with experience.

Demonstrating that you've got communication skills, can work independently, being accurate and detail oriented. Since you'll be dealing with thousands of dollars of merchandise and a bunch of things that have specific instructions on how to be processed, filed or disposed of.

or what they are
Half my problems in receiving would be solved if I had functional people skills and not the cobbled-together, powered by anxiety set of tools I work with every day. Its probably a good thing that I'm so decent with MIRs and cleaning up other people's messes at least.

Bales are easy. Just remember to wear your safety gear even if people look at you funny.

[ a lot of "I don't know what to do with this but I'm assuming you take care of it."

If your store treats receiving as part of the team and not a dungeon where elves just make problems go away it might be a good move I guess.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha , yes this is so true. Job comes with its headaches, but it's the best spot in the store. Take the spot if you can! Even if it's temporary it will give you a lot more experience .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back