Archived STL coaching based on camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I did something minor that i shouldn't have, left something somewhere. A team leader the next day informed me that the STL had reviewed cameras and told her to come verbally coach me. When i was training for AP a few years before I was informed that target policy did not allow coaching or monitoring with cameras unless there was a crime or injury. Have the guidelines changed?

Recently I did something minor that i shouldn't have, left something somewhere. A team leader the next day informed me that the STL had reviewed cameras and told her to come verbally coach me. When i was training for AP a few years before I was informed that target policy did not allow coaching or monitoring with cameras unless there was a crime or injury. Have the guidelines changed?

Nope

Leaders can’t coach on performance behavior just by watching the camera. But you said you “left something somewhere”. If you leave equipment or keys unattended and a leader finds it they can review video or look at the log to see who had it last.

Nope , but if I would be your tl and stl told me about seeing you on the camera . My next conversation with you would have sounded you were observed doing such and such . I wouldn’t mention the camera and still get you

Nope , but if I would be your tl and stl told me about seeing you on the camera . My next conversation with you would have sounded you were observed doing such and such . I wouldn’t mention the camera and still get you
This. Word it as ‘you were observed doing/leaving such and such’ and it’ll pass muster.

One thing though, is I won’t do a documented on someone for another leader unless they email me the details to copy/paste. First because I’m not about to do their job for them and two, so there’s a paper trail if someone contests it someone tries to fight it.

Oh, also I thought you could be coached via video for safety violations too. Incident or not.

I use it when people are taking long breaks, to determine an exact time.

Leaders can’t coach on performance behavior just by watching the camera. But you said you “left something somewhere”. If you leave equipment or keys unattended and a leader finds it they can review video or look at the log to see who had it last.
I left a two tier in the fixture room, not a safety violation, I just forgot about it and someone got annoyed, does that still apply?

How is that any different from seeing that someone backstocked an item wrong and using the camera to find out who did it? Because I'm pretty sure you can't do that to coach someone.
Because there is a report that when someone backstocks wrong and creates an error it goes back to them.

Coach and CCAs for property damage and safety violations observed via cameras happen every so often. Those usually fall under conduct more than performance most of the time though. Stuff like not pushing fast enough and not guest servicing is not suppose to be coachable via cams however considering it was a verbal coaching there won’t be any documentation of it.

A 3 tier in the fixture room is indeed a violation.
Hahaha. The other morning I enter the fixture room to find SEVEN 3 tier carts with signs taped on them saying “do not take, X’s cart”, ‘hands off, Y’s cart”, ‘leave here, this is Z’s cart “. Etc. NOT kidding - 7 of em ! Thought it was crazy but didn’t know it wasn’t o.k.

So, Have leaders/leads always been allowed to use the, “you were observed” loophole to coach based on what they or AP see on the cameras? I’ve always been told this was a big no no until recently.

I welcome them to watch me work. Perhaps they'll learn something.
drinkbeer.gif

God forbid we see someone loafing or doing something they shouldn’t be doing on camera rather than in person. Totally changes what they did.

AP’s directive is to protects Target’s assets. The time that you are on the clock is one of those assets, so consider it fair game if at the very least, AP gives me a tip to check on someone they notice dicking around on the cameras.

I think it’s potentially more fair to see it from camera; how many times have you paused for literally 3 seconds to say hi to a coworker and had an ETL stroll up and complain about it? Or been stopped by 17 guests over the course of a few hours then asked why you didn’t get more done? Or pulled out your phone to check the time and a leader assumes you’re on your phone?

The cameras provide context. When I was a TM, I had a particularly strict and bitchy ETL and when she’d try to pin shit on me my response would be to to review it on camera. Shut her up every time.

Last edited:
When people were stashing stuff in my fixture room I asked AP to watch for me to see who was doing it. The difference its I told people in huddles I would be reviewing the cameras to see who had no respect for the people who have to clean the fixture room just to get to the things they need DAILY. I did not see the film but I was told who the culprits were and I coached saying you were observed going into the fixture room with xyz and it was left on the floor by the computer. Not implying you are that type of person, but it chaps my ass when people use the fixture room as a dumping ground.

i know our stl watches cameras. not sure she coaches off of it, but she seems to always call and ask for the location of the team member lingering up at guest service way too long. there was one day she did it to literally every team member that i was like damn at least try to hide it?? i’m sure she’s watching other places too, but i just make sure i’m doing what needs to be done when she’s being obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back