Stop asking, start telling.

60SecondsRemaining

Former SrTL - Replen
I debated not putting this up, as it requires some level of situational awareness, but here goes.

In light of all of the upcoming and previous "should I call out" / "I asked to go home and my manager said..."

You're all adults. Your manager has no say in whether or not you will or will not come to work or leave early. Don't ask. Tell.

"I am not feeling well so I won't be in today."
"I'm not feeling well so I'm going to head home at 11 today."

Polite, simple, brief. You would be shocked at how often people just accept it. If they push back, just restate that you're leaving or not coming in because you don't feel well and that you'll be in for your next scheduled shift.

Obviously they can do what they please as far as writing you up or whatever, but I highly doubt that a person who doesn't have a habit of frequently calling out or leaving early would be admonished for it. What would the conversation look like? We're coaching you because you decided as an adult that you needed to do what's in your best interest?

This can be very situational and you're not going to just leave and say "because I don't want to be here"...but for the most part unless you ACTUALLY need permission for something, you're not children. Don't ask for permission, just tell people what you're going to do and they can deal with it however they like.

Great post.

I understand that some people may be reticent about this approach, mainly if their leaders are shit, but also if they have ever had any attendance issues in the past. They are worried about their jobs. However, it is hard for me to have sympathy for some of these people, because they put themselves in that situation by calling out on whims and generally showing themselves to be unreliable.

I am considering calling out tonight and maybe the rest of the week, honestly, because I don't feel well and because things are starting to go on lockdown in my state and I'm worried. I had a cold last month and I have not really bounced back from it and actually feel like I may have another one, or maybe it's allergies or sinus issues, I'm not sure.

I am hesitating because I am not that person, I am usually the person who steps up in these kinds of situations. I could be getting crazy hours right now and I just don't feel up to it. I have the time, I may as well use it.

One time I said I feel like throwing up cuz of what I had for lunch and they let me go so fast, I threw up as soon as I clockdd out, and I threw up in the parking lot.

Back