Archived Store Remodeling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about store remodeling. I know certain stores are being chosen to be remodeled to that new nice, fancy look that Target wants it to go.

How does this work? Like for example, in my city my store is always picked to try new things, projects, etc. What happens to the store? Do they completely close it while remodeling construction process take place? What happen to our jobs?

@Joel during my tenure with Spot, your job should be the same. The only thing is your store will have 3rd party construction workers coming in under the leadership of an outside ETL to do the work of the remodel. Look forward to just a lot of noise. And no your store will not close.

They do not close your store. My store is undergoing a full remodel right now.

It will vary from store to store, but some new hires are made to help with the POG and demerch workload. Some TMs are shifted to the remodel team, to assist with tasks dayside. A construction crew is hired, and a majority of the work is done overnight. Some areas are walled off to prevent guests and TMs accessing areas undergoing heavy construction. For example, my store traded out food avenue for a new area that holds our beer and wine (my store cannot sell spirits/liquor). Our deli, bakery, and most of our meat wall is currently walled off for addition construction.

The construction moves gondolas overnight, pog team will set the new planogram/remerchandise if it's a temporary move. Your store will receive containers to store new signing and fixtures in. The dayside remodel team picks up and finishes pog workload, audits pogs to order additional fixtures/displays/signing, and helps ensure the new sets are brand.

It is a giant headache to be honest. There have been days weve had product dual or triple located all across hardlines, especially with BTC. We've had entire aisles removed from the floor and backstocked so that that type of product isn't on the floor. We've had to set some sections only to reset them when the correct fixtures come in the next day.

As for as who determines this, corporate. my suspicion on how is either a Powerball esque drawing, or magic 8 ball.

The only time when they close the store is when the building itself is going to be completely demolished. Otherwise, the store stays open.

Last edited:
We recently went through a complete remodel, as the above posters have mentioned there are new hires that help with the bulk of the remodel, overnight. Aisle will be moved and then moved again, either to be moved to a complete different location or brought back to original location after they re-do the floors. The majority of the aisles only require de merchandising the bottom shelf or two, as long as 12 holes in the spine of the gandola are exposed. The contractors then come in and use specialized equipment to jack up the entire aisle and move it. Expect to use a lot of repacks and flats to move stuff around . It's a pain but in the end it does make a difference. our store was completely changed around. New floors , carpets, new break room with brand new microwaves, fridges, furniture, sink and even a Tv!

The store never closes. Remodel teams are formed from existing TMs or seasonal hires.

Most of the job is to set up fixtures in a temp space, relocate merchandise to that temp space while construction crews work in the area; usually done in the overnight, and then transitioned back when done. It is a constant shuffling of merchandise and fixtures.

Back room merchandise is transitioned to trailers if needed.

Depending on the age and traffic of your store, it may be a full remodel or just an expansion (which will not be as intense).

Last edited:
While I can't vouch for it, I was told that some of the decision regarding remodel is based on sales. Our store got the remodel while our sister store in the next town was passed over. I was told it was because we were making sales regularly and they were not. *shrug*

While I can't vouch for it, I was told that some of the decision regarding remodel is based on sales. Our store got the remodel while our sister store in the next town was passed over. I was told it was because we were making sales regularly and they were not. *shrug*

The worst performing store in our district is getting a complete remodel. They are a c volume. I think there are a lot more factors that go into it.

Last edited:
My store has been making sales pretty consistently and we don't even have mannequins yet. Other nearby stores have pretty much every recent remodel, including grey walls and the new grocery dept.

Are guest service and checklane remodels done only when the store is doing a complete remodel? My store is getting the grocery, adult beverage (aisle better) , A&A 2.0 and optical expansion. My store desperately needs a guest service facelift and new checklanes but from what I've heard nothing for guest services/order pickup or the checklanes is being done :(.

Sometimes even Checklanes aren't remodeled when store does a remodel. Often times they will determine a checklane remodel based on the condition of the checklane fixtures. Only enhancement we made to our Checklanes this year was the self checkout and it helped our appearance because before we had Express lanes and junk would get piled on them but I think we are due for a remodel. Our checklane fixtures are 12 years old but they are starting to fall apart and hope we get a remodel next year as I believe we are due for one.

My store was opened early 2000s and as a former Greatland we have the big red numbered lanes and old checklane design with very little counter space. Guest services has red counter tops which are falling apart.

Well first Spot comes in with a bulldozer -- LOL

remodel.gif

Funny -- I was up in my old store area last week & intentionally drove by -- theres about 20 container trailers in the side parking lot & 3 full 30 yard roll-off dumpsters --

Thank God I'm out of that store --- the work is always the work --- but --- its trying to explain to the 12 year old ETL egos -- why every idea that Spot craps out isn't the correct way --

That bulldozer needs to come to my store. My store is one of the oldest in the company and could use some love. Actually it's pretty well kept for its age but could use some upgrades

Can the PMT request the guest service desk to be completely replaced and remodeled to the newer designs such as this one?

img_1045-jpg.3545

I can't believe they don't have some type of graphic shit up on that big red wall!

I can't believe they don't have some type of graphic shit up on that big red wall!

If nothing is permanently mounted now -- there could be changeable signage ?

But that double horizontal seam 1/2 way up is the tell ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back