Stress

I started at a Target in a very progressive part of the city. It is the most stressful job I've ever had and I need out. I've been literally sick ever since I started. I'm at the doctor again now. Managers giving me time limits to get stuff done. I can only work as fast as I am able. Imagine working cosmetics, literally thousands of little things of nail polish and lipstick of every shade. Boxes and boxes and boxes. I can prioritize but at the same time my boss is not good at effective communication with me. I generally just feel unwanted there. I've only been here about about a month and have been sick half the time. Can I transfer to another store? Should I quit and tell them that is so stressful even my doctor is telling me I need to do something about it

TBH there's no point in transferring because I'm sure the next store you transfer to will also cause you stress.
But why are you stressed? What do you think will happen if you don't zone and push every single one of those cosmetic items? I can guarantee you that you won't get fired if that's what you're concerned about. You'll only get fired, let's say for example, if you lose the beauty key or if you consistently do absolutely nothing during your shift.

I feel unwanted too, but I think that kinda comes with working in retail. We're really just a number to them (well at least at my store we are). Granted I don't want to be there either, so it's mutual lol. I clock in, do what I can, and clock out. It's not your responsibility to stress, you don't get paid enough to care that much.

And ya, communication is generally shit. No communication and no transparency, so no one really knows what they're doing until they're shouted at over the walkie.

At the end of the day, your health is WAY more important than Target. If you feel that it is in your best interest to quit, then do so.

Imho you seem pretty set on quitting. Your health is more important then spot. Ask yourself, do you think with time youll learn how to do the work faster? (learn a better routine, learn where products are, not feel so overwhelmed.)
If not then you should quit. Its unfortunate but not everyone can work retail. You could possibly try to move to a different department like cashier but then youll get no hours because the payroll goes down a lot. Cant transfer to another store this early usually.

Thank you guys for your advice. It has been well received. I'm getting too old for this. All my coworkers are young or uppitty

Total nightmare. I worked at Walmart for 9 months and thought it was the worst job in the world, so when I applied at Target and offered 15 dollars an hour I thought great, this is definitely a step up, boy was I wrong. While there were some real jerks at Walmart I actually met some of the nicest people. Keep in mind part of the problem I have now is that I'm legitimately sick and the stress just makes it impossible to function. Also I'm sure every Target is different and I just may not be a good fit for this one. They are mostly pretentious college kids. I have a long history of anxiety and depression and I'm just trying to get by

TBH there's no point in transferring because I'm sure the next store you transfer to will also cause you stress.
But why are you stressed? What do you think will happen if you don't zone and push every single one of those cosmetic items? I can guarantee you that you won't get fired if that's what you're concerned about. You'll only get fired, let's say for example, if you lose the beauty key or if you consistently do absolutely nothing during your shift.

I feel unwanted too, but I think that kinda comes with working in retail. We're really just a number to them (well at least at my store we are). Granted I don't want to be there either, so it's mutual lol. I clock in, do what I can, and clock out. It's not your responsibility to stress, you don't get paid enough to care that much.

And ya, communication is generally shit. No communication and no transparency, so no one really knows what they're doing until they're shouted at over the walkie.

At the end of the day, your health is WAY more important than Target. If you feel that it is in your best interest to quit, then do so.
Thank you, yeah I think a lot of it depends on the Target and the management. Like the one I work at is chronically understaffed. So much so that the store manager does a lot of the work himself. I know when he saw me working yesterday he could tell that I was absolutely sick literally and utterly exhausted from trying to keep up with his expectations. With his current mindset I don't think he'll ever be successful at keeping employees. On the website it says love where you work, well at my store, I guarantee it will be just the opposite. I am actively seeking other employment even tho I'm sick. It really sucks when you're sick and you can't work to afford to take care of yourself

Yeah no amount of money can get your health back and these places are not worth it. People are shitty and managers are even shittier. Try uber,doordash or shipt. Maybe the post office, fedex or call centers. Banks or credit unions are great place for people who work retail. Many of my fomer co-workers got a jobs at a bank or credit union some didn't even have degrees. Try a commission based work at home job for some experience and then try for actual paying one with benefits.

I started at a Target in a very progressive part of the city. It is the most stressful job I've ever had and I need out. I've been literally sick ever since I started. I'm at the doctor again now. Managers giving me time limits to get stuff done. I can only work as fast as I am able. Imagine working cosmetics, literally thousands of little things of nail polish and lipstick of every shade. Boxes and boxes and boxes. I can prioritize but at the same time my boss is not good at effective communication with me. I generally just feel unwanted there. I've only been here about about a month and have been sick half the time. Can I transfer to another store? Should I quit and tell them that is so stressful even my doctor is telling me I need to do something about it
It all depends on the management at a store and it can vary widely from one season to the next as turnover, even in management is enormous. In my store it took just one really bad apple to pull down morale, which became contagious and infectious through the entire store. Point being that transferring won't guarantee resolution because the landscape at Spot isn't stable. My store was great for a very long time and then POOF, not anymore.

BUT by the same irregularities, a poorly run store or with bad morale can change as well.

Retail seems to just be one of those odd roads to travel with a whole lotta blind spots.

Wow they let a guy work in cosmetics. I applied for that position once but they dumped me to electronics.

Wow they let a guy work in cosmetics. I applied for that position once but they dumped me to electronics.
While on one hand female TMs would appeal more to guests as it fits natural socializing patterns when discussing hair and makeup, with a little mental work a guy could do well. It's a fine line, giving a "male response" to how women are planning on beautifying themselves while at the same time not making the guests feel there's any personal interest included in the "I'm your friend" sales pitch.

Why would women in Tech be a comparison to a guy upselling blush and lipstick? World of difference. Location of genitalia means absolutely nothing for one, a little tricky in applying sales techniques with the other.

Why would women in Tech be a comparison to a guy upselling blush and lipstick? World of difference. Location of genitalia means absolutely nothing for one, a little tricky in applying sales techniques with the other.

I know men who are very knowledgeable about makeup either because they were in theater or because they are drag queens.
I also know a couple of non-binary folk who would good at it too.

Has you store ever HIRED a female to work in electronics?

I have only seen ONE in my store in over five years.
I worked in Electronics for 12 years and at one point for a while the team was all females, and then mostly female. It wasn't until the last year that it started to become more males, and after I left it is now all males. Also the longest working TM there is now at 2 years.

I know men who are very knowledgeable about makeup either because they were in theater or because they are drag queens.
I also know a couple of non-binary folk who would good at it too.
You are right. I was thinking the sales aspect, not knowledge aspect. A man would have to convince a woman that he is capable of good recommendations to make her beautiful but at the same time not come across that he is enjoying her beauty. She has to believe the sales illusion he is portraying, without veering into not knowing enough or having too much interest in making her beautiful.

My mantra as it were when I m faced with same inhumane expectations...when they done give me my paycheck....then I can stress.

You are right. I was thinking the sales aspect, not knowledge aspect. A man would have to convince a woman that he is capable of good recommendations to make her beautiful but at the same time not come across that he is enjoying her beauty. She has to believe the sales illusion he is portraying, without veering into not knowing enough or having too much interest in making her beautiful.
Also, as much as Target may wish, we ain't exactly Sephora or MAC (both of which have many male salespeople btw). You really don't have to be a makeup whiz or a crackerjack salesperson to work in Beauty.

Same with Style Consultants. Fashion expertise NOT required.

beauty is no joke, especially with as limited training you have had. It's important that you tell your lead sooner rather than later that you feel a little lost, come with why you feel lost, you don't understand how the pogs are set up, myday has confused you, no one showed you something that they assume you know.... if you started anytime around mid November your boss can only expect you to have questions, don't be embarrassed to ask for clarity. To be fair, from week 1 November till recent it has been non-stop for leaders, dizzying really! Not to mention, if you are like many other stores, beauty is about to reset in the coming weeks. Try to take part, even if you are not included, get some time with someone that understands pog reset, it can be super helpful going ahead! If anything ask what role you can play after the set and make sure they show you what and how to do it. Example: Capacity and on floor, if your team/ lead is not coming up with a method to account for the day to day what's happened, come with suggestions and don't be afraid to mention it to your SD!

Back