Archived Struggling as a sbux TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys ive been reading some of your responses to questions and stuff and this information os reallt helpfully to me but i am honestly new to being a TL well not completely new couple of months almost a year im really struggling with the balance between being a barista and being a tl i feel like they want me to do both i follow up with my team i deligate the best i can but i only get 120 something hours for my department i cant do my order sometimes because im being a barista and i have to explain to my dm why my shelves are empty and she smiles in my face and then rip me a new on on my email i dont get it !!! And on top of that my Ast is crossed trained in market and she is only in. Starbucks 1 or two days a week im not allowed to do scheduleing only the etls are i just dont know what to do i did the math to hve proper coverage i would need 154 Hours and do you guys think head quarters would provide me with extra hours im really in the verge of giving up im thankful for my job but its not worth the stress or the unreasonable expectations that they have my etl tries the best she can everyday i bring my work problmes home everyday and then im stressed on top of tha because im not getting my barista trained properly it fucking sucks im at my breaking point im really getting to the point i somt care and everyone like oh it will be ok like fuck you you dont know what it takes to run sarbucks

Your posts would be so much easier to read, so folks can help you, if it had punctuation and better formatting.

Hi guys, I've been reading some of your responses to questions and stuff and this information.
It's really helpful to me but I'm honestly new to being a TL, well not completely new, a couple of months, almost a year.
I'm really struggling with the balance between being a barista and being a TL.
I feel like they want me to do both.
I follow up with my team, I delegate the best I can but I only get 120 something hours for my department.
I can't do my order sometimes because I'm being a barista and i have to explain to my DM why my shelves are empty.
She smiles in my face and then rips me a new one on my email. I don't get it !!!
And on top of that my Ast is cross trained in market and she is only in Starbucks 1 or two days a week.
I'm not allowed to do scheduling only the ETLs are.
I just don't know what to do.
I did the math, to have proper coverage I would need 154 hours and do you guys think headquarters would provide me with extra hours?
I'm really in the verge of giving up.
I'm thankful for my job but it's not worth the stress or the unreasonable expectations that they have.
My EYL tries the best she can everyday.
I bring my work problems home everyday and then I'm stressed on top of that because I'm not getting my barista trained properly.
It fucking sucks. I'm at my breaking point. I'm really getting to the point I don't care and everyone is like "Oh, it will be okay".
Like fuck you, you don't know what it takes to run Starbucks.

Last edited:
I am not a Starbucks team lead but I recommend reading the huge stickied thread and asking follow up questions. There are some incredible Starbucks leads here @CoquiAzul @Yetive @redeye58 @Xanatos

Schedule writing. I do not believe mytime allots enough hours for Starbucks, we underpost cafe to over post in Starbucks but you would be wise to partner with another store in your district because some stores are able to do it with the alotted hours.

You seem to have a good relationship with your etl. Have you considered scheduling a cashier who is starbucks trained at a time where they can come over and provide break coverage? It will keep you underposted in Starbucks while still covering breaks during slow times.

Sets and ordering. My food service team lead does neither of this. You should be training your stronger team members to do this so you can be free to work with the team.

Starbucks is not an easy tl job but the ones who can delegate seem to be the most successful

Last edited:
A few questions:
How are your sales? How big is your store?[/QUOTE]

My sales are pretty good im a high volume store but im still only getting my normal hours that all the Target Starbucks get so i know i cant ask for me hours from headquarters they would probably stone me lmao

I thought I explained myself clearly it seems you guys were the only ones having a issue with my post im sure not the first to have grammer issues i just need help thats all i ask so if anybody including you two have a issue with my post and arent going to help me then simple dont read it or reply i was super pissed and stressed yesterday over this job so my bad if i talked out of anger and wasnt worried about grammer .
It's a common courtesy so that others may may assist you better. Run-on sentences mashed into one large paragraph are hard to comprehend.
thought

As for the grammar, it’s just easier to read what you said when the sentences are broken up and there are multiple paragraphs. We still understand you, it just takes more effort on our part because you aren’t putting in the effort on your end. It’s not that big of a deal, it’s just a nice thing to do.

Back on topic. I’ve found that Starbucks is one of the few workcenters that actually gets enough payroll to be successful. The problem comes when stores don’t give Starbucks all of their hours. You should check mytime and look at the weekly scheduling dashboard to see if you are receiving all of your payroll or if it’s being cut and given to other areas.

Also, are you only the TL for Starbucks or do you have other workcenters as well? And what are your weekly sales for a normal week (ie not December)?

Actually i thought this was a venting site i didnt know that we had to have correct grammer on top of that

I apologize.
You were asking for help and I was trying to make it easier for people to help you.
I'm old and walls of text with run on sentences are a bit baffling.
If you had said you just needed to rant, I wouldn't have touched it.
Once again, didn't mean to over step.

Yeah ,the OP is clearly frustrated, and probably will be for a while. What you need my friend is an attitude adjustment. Try being humble. No amount of hours or advice will help you , if you cant be humble. So continue being frustrated AF. Let us know how that works out for you.

Any whoo lmao

gtfo_o_209894.jpg

I thought I explained myself clearly it seems you guys were the only ones having a issue with my post im sure not the first to have grammer issues i just need help thats all i ask so if anybody including you two have a issue with my post and arent going to help me then simple dont read it or reply i was super pissed and stressed yesterday over this job so my bad if i talked out of anger and wasnt worried about grammer .

thought

You are a disaster. No wonder your store is a mess. Being a SBX TL is more about managing and less about making drinks. If you can't write out a decent paragraph, I suggest that you are not qualified.

fuck you you dont know what it takes to run sarbucks

Actually, I know what it takes. It appears that you don't know. Stores run it on 120 hours all over the country.

120 is rough, that’s 20 less than I’ve ever seen. So that means lots of single barista coverage throughout the day. Which, for you, will mean lots of delegating very specific tasks and the times for completion to specific team members. And then follow up and accountability to let them know you are serious. Your Starbucks routine doc will be your best friend when it comes to those conversations.

It sounds like your order process in particular is a struggle for you. You can make pars and assign parts of the order to different baristas on different days then verify and coach if it is not completed. That will both show that you are holding your team accountable and trying to elevate them while also creating a paper trail for those “why didn’t this happen” conversations. Or, you can just place the orders yourself. Set your pars for a minimum of two weeks of usage.

It sounds like you are in charge of Starbucks only. I know Starbucks feels like a beast, but I promise you there are people out there who would love to be in your position. Even someone that is just over grocery and Starbucks is envious of you right now my friend.

I would also recommend you check your Starbucks dashboard under store reports, it’s one of at least two places you can see if you are using all of your allocated hours. A “high volume” store would be getting more than 120 a week. A volume 3 with a 8-9% capture rate is getting between 140-150 right now. HR used to pull little bits of hours out of work centers to make room for new hires training, but they can’t really do that in a lot of the store now because of the requirement to schedule to 100% of store mod hours allocation.

A “high volume” store would be getting more than 120 a week. A volume 3 with a 8-9% capture rate is getting between 140-150 right now. HR used to pull little bits of hours out of work centers to make room for new hires training, but they can’t really do that in a lot of the store now because of the requirement to schedule to 100% of store mod hours allocation.
We're supposed to be getting 175 right now but are lucky to get 80% at best.
Despite that, we've been making gains for the past couple years.

I actually think 140 is the bare minimum Starbucks tells target the unit can be scheduled. If you aren’t getting your allocated hours and aren’t making noise about it, no one else will care though.
And by making noise I mean sitting in the HR office every Wednesday and reminding them that those are your hours and that you want them for your workcenter.

I’ve seen 120 hours allocated to a volume 4 store, so I’d imagine volume 5s slightly less.

I actually think 140 is the bare minimum Starbucks tells target the unit can be scheduled. If you aren’t getting your allocated hours and aren’t making noise about it, no one else will care though.
And by making noise I mean sitting in the HR office every Wednesday and reminding them that those are your hours and that you want them for your workcenter.

We are a 3 and we get 140 for Starbucks

When you print up your monthly sales report does it show that your store is utilizing all the planned hours to run your starbucks smoothly? I am in high volume store and we get 155 hrs a week. I ran a store that got 120 and we scheduled baristas as cashiers to cover breaks and lunches. The store i am in now did not have a tl for 6 months and when i got there they have a room that was stacked from floor to ceiling with supplies that were not needed. I suggest you having a regular scheduled day at starbucks. Make it order day that way you are there to key it. You can also have ast figure out what is needed and you review it during your shift or take time to review it each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back