Archived Struggling with TL interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive read plenty of stories from people passing their interviews but I found myself struggling today after having my second mock interview with my STL.

I’m generally a hard working Tm and able to run the team even on days when we’ve had issues arise that have thrown us for a loop.

My STL basically summed it up as she would not feel comfortable sending me out based on my responses as to how I believed market was going. I explained how given an extra shift per week we could utilize that to catch up on the fine details and projects in market that occasionally get missed. The team is fantastic at rotating/culling and finishing freight on a daily basis but projects and tiny details are things that I am trying to engage the team in seeing as an opportunity and showing them how fix these problems as they come across them.

After the fact she mentions that we are actually getting 30-60 more hours than we are supposed to and didn’t understand how those tasks couldn’t be done. She said maybe in a few weeks we could go through mock again but I feel so defeated after being bounced from departments for developments sake I’m down to the end of my ropes.

Really kind of depends on the situation you're in. Maybe your STL really wants to make sure you're ready, but with TL interviews being in house now, they're typically kind of a formality now. Maybe if you're being sent elsewhere it might be a bit different, maybe someone else has some perspective.

Hard to tell what your STL is looking for here. Payroll is an issue as a TL. I haven't done my schedules in some time but 30-60 over depending on your volume is a decent amount. Maybe take a different direction with it. If you're overspending by 30+, what is your team's opportunity and how are you addressing it? Asking for more hours probably isn't what your STL is looking for here. Market kind of sucks ass because Target doesn't really have a good idea of what kind of hours to throw at market so it feels like a guess half the time but you probably took it the wrong direction there.

What sort of projects are you looking to accomplish? Details wise I'd encourage your peers to be looking in to working things out on the fly, as a part of the other processes.

You basically told your STL that the only way things will get fixed if everyone works an extra day during January when hours are tight. Think about how you can do the same work but in a reasonable time. Offer smart huddles for projects that are more time consuming. Assign aisle to each TM and give them a list of things they should do. Example on Monday-cereal aisle to be zoned. TM will look for expired product, do research and pull batches to work. This way you hold the TM accountable if they dont do it. Also answer like a leader- As a grocery TL Id handle this situation like this....hopefully this help some what.

Asking for more hours probably isn't what your STL is looking for here.

And rightfully so. Every team lead wants more hours so thats a non starter to any STL.

Most stores have to overpost market but then they underpost elsewhere. Market is the new flow in that regard.

Passing an interview at Target is all about talking the lingo and optimism. I would talk about using the payroll you already have more efficiently.

Does your market team have a task list?Showing you can boost the productivity and accountability would go a long way towards impressing your STL

Last edited:
Passing an interview at Target is all about talking the lingo and optimism. I would talk about using the payroll you already have more efficiently.
So yeah, you do have to paint a rosey picture. Come up with solutions that dont strain the current resources. Dont ever talk about “oh if I had more time”, or “if I had more tms”.
Donald Rumsfeld said it best, “ you dont go to war with an army you want, you go to war with the army you have”

yes, after coming to my senses I realized I was starting to take on a ‘concerned Tm mentality’ and not flipping it back into a TL opportunity to take that situation and find ways to overcome the issues. Only thing I can do it learn from this and try again when I feel I have straightnend out the kinks.

Ive read plenty of stories from people passing their interviews but I found myself struggling today after having my second mock interview with my STL.

I’m generally a hard working Tm and able to run the team even on days when we’ve had issues arise that have thrown us for a loop.

My STL basically summed it up as she would not feel comfortable sending me out based on my responses as to how I believed market was going. I explained how given an extra shift per week we could utilize that to catch up on the fine details and projects in market that occasionally get missed. The team is fantastic at rotating/culling and finishing freight on a daily basis but projects and tiny details are things that I am trying to engage the team in seeing as an opportunity and showing them how fix these problems as they come across them.

After the fact she mentions that we are actually getting 30-60 more hours than we are supposed to and didn’t understand how those tasks couldn’t be done. She said maybe in a few weeks we could go through mock again but I feel so defeated after being bounced from departments for developments sake I’m down to the end of my ropes.

Judging by your post, (And I know this by history). You are probably too irreplaceable in your position to promote, and then take a loss when you promote. Think about this, if they promote you, not only do they have a new TL they need to train, but also, someone else, they have to train to be you.

I would suggest, conveying how your strengths, where you are at, could possibly translate to other areas of the store, and improve them.

As well, as TM's you have trained, who have impressed you (or are equal) and could replace you.

Yeah never ask for more hours. STL doesn't want to hear that and we all know that's the true solution to everything. He or she knows this but it's the forbidden fruit.

TL interview is about the lingo and proving you have a leadership mindset. Think of it this way, what creative ideas can you come up with to overcome opportunities? Make sure you're speaking in a tone that showcases you have the ability to think through problems and lead.

Basically have the same opinions as others here. I’m not a TL, but was a restaurant manager for 10 years before Target, and the last 5 as a GM, so my thoughts are coming from what I would look for in a manager trainee candidate.

In general, hours and labor is usually always pushed to the limit to begin with. I’m sure it’s similar across the board within retail and restaurant industries. Bosses want to hear your ideas regarding productivity. How can you change behaviors and routines to get more work done in the same amount of time.

Anyone who is being looked at for promotion is probably a very important part of the team. Taking it upon yourself to train and coach others to perform the same functions that you do is a great way demonstrate leadership. In my old job, it was pretty much a requirement if you were wanting to move up, having your replacement trained and ready to step into your shoes.

I’d really like to look into moving up at my store in the future. I’m not really expecting it any time soon though, there’s only one other Target within hundreds of miles of my store and it seems turnover is very low among TL’s. Almost all of them have been there 10+ years, and there are other TM’s that have been there quite a long time that I know want to move up themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back