Archived Super Stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was trained at guest services today (my first time in the guest service area) and it was so stressful. I felt like a whole mess. I thought it was just going to be simple returns, exchanges, pickups, etc. My trainer was super nice but i felt like i was so annoying since i had to ask for her help all the time. Any tips? or anything that will ease up my mind please :(

Guest service has so many different things that can happen from each guests so to ask questions is appropriate. I have been there for many years and still have questions because things change alot. Each time you do Gs you will get comfortable. As someone that has trained many tm lately I am greatful that they ask me and we can think of different strategies if it something maybe I went over and they didn't understand. You will do great don't worry

Keep in mind that guest services is one of the harder areas to train for because your training is done right there as you're working. It's not learning something, and doing it 50 times. Its learning something then doing something entirely different the next time. Your trainer was in the same shoes as you are now, once upon a time. Just ask them how they felt when they were training and their response will probably sound just like you're feeling now.

We’ve all been there and felt that way, I promise. I remember feeling like I was such a bother and feeling like I was going to pass out when I covered breaks/ meals by myself. It gradually gets better and I love it.

GS sounds a lot easier than it is. You will catch on. So many transactions happen differently and those of us who train people there understand that. I expect you to need a lot of help the first few days. If you aren't asking, i'm going to get concerned and start watching you like a hawk LOL.

I told my guest advocates when they were training behind the service counter that you have to be ok with not knowing everything. Sure 80% of the time it’s the stuff we do everyday. But those other 20% you have to just be willing to ask for help. But that is what the team is there for. And then you have one less thing to worry about up there.

GS sounds a lot easier than it is. You will catch on. So many transactions happen differently and those of us who train people there understand that. I expect you to need a lot of help the first few days. If you aren't asking, i'm going to get concerned and start watching you like a hawk LOL.
Lol

I've been at my store for almost 19 years, and there are still things I have to ask about GS, because there is no such thing as a routine shift. You never know when someone is going to walk in with some novel issue that I've never seen before.

I've been at my store for almost 19 years, and there are still things I have to ask about GS, because there is no such thing as a routine shift. You never know when someone is going to walk in with some novel issue that I've never seen before.
This! Critical to use skills/tricks you learned in the past and apply to new situations.

Don't worry you got this 9/10 guests are awesome and routine it's always just that one guest every shift that will give you issues but each day is a new day. Once you get your routine down in GS you will be fine :)

Coming from a leader at the front end, don't let it stress you out too much. It's great that you care enough about your work that you worry about it, but GS is an area that you just have to physically do in order to really learn the intricacies of it. If any of your leaders get irritated by you asking questions, they should probably pick a different career. Unless you're my Service Advocate who asks stupid questions, like, "Can I bring this empty pallet to the backroom?" while there's the Front of Store Attendant vacuuming 10 feet in front of him and a drive up order on their way. Then you should feel bad, lol.

I've said it before and I'll shout it from the rooftops if i have to. My number one trick for Guest Services is super easy and hard all at once: Regardless of whether they are correct or incorrect, every guest (person if it's outside the dot) has a right to feel however they feel. Let them feel it. Let tgem vent or be angry or whatever. Keep your voice in a low tone and low volume (that way they have to be quieter to hear you). Don't roll your eyes, don't press your lips together or sigh or give any other outward appearance that they are upsetting you. We are so empowered and able to fix issues that I have a screamer max once a month. (Although that always seems to be when other tms are around.)

I've been off and on training cashiers for the desk for a few months (even though I'm not a mentor...), and I get very nervous when they don't ask questions. I can multitask and help my guest and you all at once. And, guess what, most of our guests are pretty freaking awesome such that they understand and appreciate it.

You sound like you'll be just fine. Ive been here for a year and three quarters. I still learn things almost every day. If not every day.

I've said it before and I'll shout it from the rooftops if i have to. My number one trick for Guest Services is super easy and hard all at once: Regardless of whether they are correct or incorrect, every guest (person if it's outside the dot) has a right to feel however they feel. Let them feel it. Let tgem vent or be angry or whatever. Keep your voice in a low tone and low volume (that way they have to be quieter to hear you). Don't roll your eyes, don't press your lips together or sigh or give any other outward appearance that they are upsetting you. We are so empowered and able to fix issues that I have a screamer max once a month. (Although that always seems to be when other tms are around.)

Such good advice but really hard to do in the moment.

I've been off and on training cashiers for the desk for a few months (even though I'm not a mentor...), and I get very nervous when they don't ask questions. I can multitask and help my guest and you all at once. And, guess what, most of our guests are pretty freaking awesome such that they understand and appreciate it.

You sound like you'll be just fine. Ive been here for a year and three quarters. I still learn things almost every day. If not every day.
Talking in a low voice is a good tip. Also acknowlege how they feel.
“I understand why you’re upset”

And if applicable throw in something like
“XYZ happened to me too a few weeks ago and it was really annoying”

Or a
“It’s just as frustrating for us as it is for you”
^^^ works well on denying same day/diff store returns

Such good advice but really hard to do in the moment.
17 years in customer service one way or another... the 7 years in a call center the easiest for escalations, even considering I was dealing with congressional inquiries.

Talking in a low voice is a good tip. Also acknowlege how they feel.
“I understand why you’re upset”

And if applicable throw in something like
“XYZ happened to me too a few weeks ago and it was really annoying”

Or a
“It’s just as frustrating for us as it is for you”
^^^ works well on denying same day/diff store returns
All of these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back