Suspicious Returns

TL
Anyone ever tried to return an item and after scanning the receipt and the first item, POS asks for GSTL override code? I've had a string of these returns lately and they have all been sketchy...

This is with a receipt? Maybe the receipt is fake? What is the date on the receipt?

Anyone ever tried to return an item and after scanning the receipt and the first item, POS asks for GSTL override code? I've had a string of these returns lately and they have all been sketchy...
It’s not a suspicious return the system just isn’t able to process what’s happening. It happens when a weird coupon is used such as $40 off if you spend $100 with getting a red card. If someone uses one of those coupons, a red card and a team member discount the computer just gets lost and doesn’t know like how to calculate what to give back. It has you call the GSTL over because the amount it’s calculating doesn’t match what the refund amount should be. You will have to manually change the amount back to normal based off the receipt. If you do a card lookup it will have it go back on a giftcard and if you have the receipt it will give you like the override options for the refund (cash, credit, debit, giftcard) or have it go back on the card. It just depends on how lost the system is. It’s just a glitch with the system. If it’s a same day return for an expensive item make sure the guest gets back what they paid and no extra. It sounds complex but when it happens just make sure you change the amounts so they get back what they paid.

I was vague with what I initially said, I have encountered this with fake/altered receipts along with it prompting for the GSTL override, the receipt itself has the date scratched off and on two occasion the price of item being returned was way higher than the selling price. I have denied these returns.

Recently however I had this problem but it was with digital receipt on the target app. If you want more details I will dm instead, I am afraid to say to much.

What I will say is that one thing is consistent among all theses situations, the people doing the returns are giving off many red flags.

I would love it if you DMed me. I love this stuff. Was the app thing a screen shot?

A “guest” wants to return/exchange $200 item. No receipt, wants to use ID. We check ID and its maxed out. Wwyd?

A “guest” wants to return/exchange $200 item. No receipt, wants to use ID. We check ID and its maxed out. Wwyd?

Depends? Is it an item that broke and they lost the receipt? Do they just want to replace the item? I might be willing to do an exchange, but if they just "want store credit" they will most likely get a no. I had a suspicious return the other night and it was a former TM.

Depends? Is it an item that broke and they lost the receipt? Do they just want to replace the item? I might be willing to do an exchange, but if they just "want store credit" they will most likely get a no. I had a suspicious return the other night and it was a former TM.
🤔 this one claimed to be one too..

🤔 this one claimed to be one too..

Mine had receipt return, but the items were purchased with a merch card. Everything she was returning was used. But she had another thing to return with an ID. I denied the big item. She also wanted me to add to her current merch card instead of giving her a new one. I am sure she was disappointed that she got me instead of one of the new kids LOL

Give them the option to exchange for something else in that department.
Nope. If it’s also damaged you should always just exchange it for the exact same item or something extremely similar. The guest should have no problem with you doing that. Make sure everything is in the box like literally every part. If they do have a problem then it’s most likely a scammer. If it’s unopened say you can lookup the receipt and try to actually use receipt viewer to find the receipt. You should say because of the amount I won’t be able to do an ID return but with the date and store location I should be able to find the receipt for you as long as you are able to prove it’s your receipt by saying other items on the receipt of the total. Nobody buys a 200$ toy and pays cash. It’s stolen and they are trying to get money for it.

Nope. If it’s also damaged you should always just exchange it for the exact same item or something extremely similar. The guest should have no problem with you doing that. Make sure everything is in the box like literally every part. If they do have a problem then it’s most likely a scammer. If it’s unopened say you can lookup the receipt and try to actually use receipt viewer to find the receipt. You should say because of the amount I won’t be able to do an ID return but with the date and store location I should be able to find the receipt for you as long as you are able to prove it’s your receipt by saying other items on the receipt of the total. Nobody buys a 200$ toy and pays cash. It’s stolen and they are trying to get money for it.
At my store we offer exchange if they are scammers they usually refuse to exchange. If I suspect they stole the item then I call a leader or AP.

I think we may be seeing an increase in returns of high value items obtained via porch pirates. We also are getting the “you cannot return this without a receipt” message.

Now if we could do something about all of the real estate home/apartment stagers. I feel so sorry for the DBOs that work in home. These awful people buy tons of decorative stuff and then they always return them a few days later. I wish that they were charged a restock fee.
Agree about the stagers but it gets bad for Home/Bedding when they do RTS. Whenever they announce that they did the RTS I can guarantee you that GS will be calling for reshop for us

Back