Archived Sweeps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Receivers:

What order do you load your sweep? How many sweeps per week/ what days? Have you ever played around with different days to see what combo works best?

We start is with whatever is closest to the trailer and in the way (almost always a bale). Then just load stuff in no particular order. The last thing is usually the load stabilizing bars.

We send a sweep back on every trailer. We're definitely not supposed to, but the Flow TL doesn't care and lets us do it anyway. Merch sweep is done once every few months if someone has time.

Usually load one just once a week but with BTS and extra trucks we're authorized for two now. Used to load two a week regardless until an ETL suddenly cared about backhaul.

I try and load bales and pallet stacks first, then after that it's whatever is ready to go. Since I'm usually trying to work around flow doing trash, repacks and plastic bags get loaded last.

Twice a week for us,usually salvage pallets first,then empty pallets ,bales and everything else as it comes,merch sweep every other week.

We do 2 a week. Usually start with bales, hanger bins, repacks, pallet stacks, salvage and CRC, alternating the bales left and right every row to balance the weight on the trailer. Then all the misc stuff like metal recycling, nonstandard pallets, then pile on the plastics.

I love loading the sweep. Pack that thing full! Sent back 6-7 pallets once of merch it was great. We had I think 16 of the same element Tv that was in the ad for our area and we didn't sell. Hardlines TL said they didn't want them on the floor so we sent em. Closing a trailer door with stuff at the edge is satisfying. Enjoy, DC! (Sorry, @smashandthrash)

I would prefer a full trailer of organized sweep than a half trailer of disorganized sweep.

Lots of issues with repack organization lately in my network. Lazy lazy lazy.

I don't know if it's documented anywhere, but do the driver a favor in the name of safety and load the bales first, putting the most weight near the cab.

To be honest that's pretty much a waste of consideration. You don't want to load weight behind an axle of a traditional trailer, but semi trailers have the back set of wheels exactly for the purpose of not creating a lever. Not to say there's ZERO effect, but it's not gonna do much. Those bales aren't that heavy! My STL told me you're supposed to put merch sweep and return scans at the nose (makes sense) - after our return scan was the last thing on the truck (not much we could've done about it the backroom was packed). If someone breaks in the trailer in a DC Yard, not much is gonna stop them from getting that stuff off, whether it's at the front or back.

I put bales and pallets first into the truck because early on I found some "official" sweep loading order on Workbench that said those first. And the guy who used to load them for the last receiver told me to put the heavy things in first. I try to get the CRC pallet in somewhere near the middle but really whatever I can get in as I have the room to do so I will.

Does anybody double stack their bales regularly? I've only done it a couple times, when I did the math and realized I was going to be loading a huge sweep and absolutely needed those extra 2-4 pallet spaces. It's a pain in the ass though so I've avoided it wherever possible since then.

Does anybody double stack their bales regularly? I've only done it a couple times, when I did the math and realized I was going to be loading a huge sweep and absolutely needed those extra 2-4 pallet spaces. It's a pain in the ass though so I've avoided it wherever possible since then.
We double stack them sometimes if we need to store them on the dock for a day or two. I loaded it double stacked once and was told I needed to unstack them.

If I'm running low on space (practically never happens), I could throw other stuff on top of bales (like plastic recycling or hangar bins).

I try not to. It'd be pretty unlikely the top one could roll off on a turn, but I put anything on bales before another bale. Hanger bins, pallets, plastic bags, whatever keeps it safe for the next guy

I always double stack bales. With around 17 per sweep, I have to. I was always told they are supposed to be doubled and that the trailer was to be loaded in a very particular order. Lately though I have just been wondering about it because there seems to be so much variation between stores.

I always double stack bales. With around 17 per sweep, I have to. I was always told they are supposed to be doubled and that the trailer was to be loaded in a very particular order. Lately though I have just been wondering about it because there seems to be so much variation between stores.

Gross

I remember reading "double stack as much as you can" and "don't stack bales more than two high" somewhere. That and one of the receivers I "trained" with when asked responded with "how else are you going to fit everything?" Which is interesting because I think they're a smaller store than mine.

Why Target doesn't have some kind of basic receiving manual is beyond me.

I'm screaming internally at the image of 17 bales. Worst we ever had was 10, back when we still stored them outside and I was refusing to bring them in until somebody un-stole my Crown key. Nowadays it's usually 4, 6 at most.

I always double stack bales. With around 17 per sweep
17 bales!?

How many trucks do you take per week and how many sweeps do you do?

I'd bet your sweep trailers are close to full every time, so you should just load it whichever way makes the most sense and makes the most out of the available space.

We store the bales outside, we take 8 trucks a week (double weds)
Now going into back to school/back to college I am afraid to look at the trailer forecast .... We are a college town and our store does a lot of business. I love when I only have 10 bales, those days are the best!!! (Usually feb/mar)

How do you keep bales dry then.....? (Everyone). We were told not to store bales outside. Mentioned city ordinance but that was crap. Loaded a wet bale only once, not very clean

We were told not to store bales outside. Mentioned city ordinance but that was crap.
That's legit in my town. Even if it was allowed, there's nowhere to put them, since the area outside the receiving door is about as wide as a two-lane road. Barely big enough for vendors to park along the building and trucks to squeeze past.

Info on loading sweeps is under Logistics->Recycling Sweeps or Merchandise Sweeps

Just some follow up for some stuff in this thread:

-Recycling sweep sequence
1 merchandise sweeps
2 pallet stacks
3 crc
4 double stack cardboard bales
5 hanger big boxes
6 repacks
7 recycling big boxes and metal

-"All bales must be stored indoors. Target does not approve storing bales outdoors due to weather, government regulations and fire concerns."

Yes I have definitely seen workbench direction saying NO bales outside. A long time ago we stored the up in the steel, but they have been outside now for literally years and no push back. Our new pmt a few months ago looked horrified when he first saw them out there! I live where there is snow too, so yes it's a mess.

I'm still cowering in fear over this
We get 12 trucks a week , have an off-site and we never sent 17 bales at once . We do however have 4 sweeps a week so that’s what keeps those numbers down I suppose.

5 trucks a week and we send a sweep back on every one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back