Archived Talking to coworkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Idkanythingman

do y’all get in trouble for talking to coworkers? Idk I talked to my friend who works with me for like 15 minutes (while also doing my job) and I feel like I’ll get in trouble bc the lod said we will talk tomorrow but idk if he was just saying that Bc I was leaving or like he’s gonna going to be upset with me.

do y’all get in trouble for talking to coworkers? Idk I talked to my friend who works with me for like 15 minutes (while also doing my job) and I feel like I’ll get in trouble bc the lod said we will talk tomorrow but idk if he was just saying that Bc I was leaving or like he’s gonna going to be upset with me.

Build trust 1st then you can talk all you want as long as you get your work done.

I understand the "occasional" chit-chat...... it's human nature to want to talk/share stuff w/ co-workers. I'll probably give you 5 minutes, max!!!! Then I'll professionally "break up" the chit-chat by asking what you're working on. Or.... I'll find something for you to do!
I'll be perfectly honest....... there is SO MUCH TO DO each and every day, that there is NO TIME for "talking to co-workers". If you're doing your job to the best level of expectations, there really is no "down time". Your Guest interaction is Priority #1. Your day-in and day-out tasks are Priority #2. If you have "extra time" on your hands, see Priority #1 and/or #2 again !!!! Honestly, that's all the time you'll have.

* I know that your training has been sub-par, and you probably don't know the expectations yet. ;)

Every calorie of energy you have belongs to Target while on the clock. Any misuse or misappropriation of that is considered time theft. A definite no no.

I understand the "occasional" chit-chat...... it's human nature to want to talk/share stuff w/ co-workers. I'll probably give you 5 minutes, max!!!! Then I'll professionally "break up" the chit-chat by asking what you're working on. Or.... I'll find something for you to do!
I'll be perfectly honest....... there is SO MUCH TO DO each and every day, that there is NO TIME for "talking to co-workers". If you're doing your job to the best level of expectations, there really is no "down time". Your Guest interaction is Priority #1. Your day-in and day-out tasks are Priority #2. If you have "extra time" on your hands, see Priority #1 and/or #2 again !!!! Honestly, that's all the time you'll have.

* I know that your training has been sub-par, and you probably don't know the expectations yet. ;)

Didn't he say while he was working?

Didn't he say while he was working?

And...... ? My point is: if you and your co-worker are folding tees on the same table and talking to each other, you're probably missing several opportunities to connect w/ your Guest.

P.S. Never do I encourage the TMs to work on the same exact project at any time. Divide and conquer. Probably sounds bitchy...... but shit gets done.

And...... ? My point is: if you and your co-worker are folding tees on the same table and talking to each other, you're probably missing several opportunities to connect w/ your Guest.

P.S. Never do I encourage the TMs to work on the same exact project at any time. Divide and conquer. Probably sounds bitchy...... but shit gets done.

I guess this falls under the "do as I say not as I do" motto. Etls and stls ignoring guests is commonplace.

But you're right, I can do a 19 hour cosmetics POG by myself. In silence. In an 8 hour shift.

I guess this falls under the "do as I say not as I do" motto. Etls and stls ignoring guests is commonplace.

While I can't control everyone ..... I can certainly set myself up as the example for our Team. They won't find me "talking" about personal crap at work. If I'm talking...... I'm "training" a TM, actively "planning" w/ a TM, or engaging w/ a Guest.

I think just like everything in life...all in moderation. We’re not automatons. I think it’s healthy and positive to have the occasional chit chat with your colleague. It builds camaraderie, helps build the store morale, and can also be informative. I would never advocate for ignoring a guest, but I think it’s rather ridiculous to think people aren’t going to try to get to know each other when you see them for hours on end several days a week.

We got yelled at for talking too much in our SFS area while we were packing, which was silly because it's not like talking and packing boxes is any slower than awkward silence and packing boxes.

Just depends on the task... for me whenever I'm doing plano, of course imma be talking and laughing with my team cause shit its mind numbing and brutal being silent and doing a 20 hour pog... but most of the day, all we can do is work and shut our mouths until break/lunch. Although when I'm leading our flow team, I do notice most tms that can't seem to continue working whenever their mouth is open, I let my team talk to a certain point but when we have a huge ass truck and we need to be done with push by 8 then you bet if I hear you talk but not stocking then yo ass will most likely get yelled at.

I think just like everything in life...all in moderation. We’re not automatons. I think it’s healthy and positive to have the occasional chit chat with your colleague. It builds camaraderie, helps build the store morale, and can also be informative. I would never advocate for ignoring a guest, but I think it’s rather ridiculous to think people aren’t going to try to get to know each other when you see them for hours on end several days a week.
This. Our focus should always be the guest ofc but we’re also humans too. The reason I work at GS is because we always have two people over there so I’m never alone. I would go crazy not having someone just to pass the time with.
I don’t get in trouble. Maybe a GSTL will come up to us and be like “uhh what are you guys doing let’s go” but it’s always like joking. Talking to my coworkers is like the best part of my day I love them <3
Also this! the reason I love my job is bc I love coming in every day to see my team!

We got yelled at for talking too much in our SFS area while we were packing, which was silly because it's not like talking and packing boxes is any slower than awkward silence and packing boxes.

It is slower for me to talk and work...but I need more breaks if I don't have "company." I get bored.

It is a balance. I like working next to someone and chatting intermittently.

Also, when packing, I like to time myself and race my previous times. I'm not part of the sfs team though, only during holidays.

I dont necessarily disagree with this, but the leads in my store basically stand around chatting all day, either on the floor or at TSC. Its hard to fault a team member for chatting with the example set by leadership.

If your hands are working as fast as your mouth you're okay. However what I have often observed is while chatting people stop and chat. If you work an 8 hour shift and you talked non stop, you did not get as much work done as you should have/should have, you did not take the opportunity to seek out guests,you have also alienated guests who don't want to interrupt your conversation. Sometimes the conversation is not work appropriate. If you are continually having conversations with the same team members you are affecting not only your productivity but also theirs. Bottom line is when you are on the clock you should be working. Chat on your breaks and lunches. Sounds harsh but you are being paid to work not chat

If your hands are working as fast as your mouth you're okay. However what I have often observed is while chatting people stop and chat. If you work an 8 hour shift and you talked non stop, you did not get as much work done as you should have/should have, you did not take the opportunity to seek out guests,you have also alienated guests who don't want to interrupt your conversation. Sometimes the conversation is not work appropriate. If you are continually having conversations with the same team members you are affecting not only your productivity but also theirs. Bottom line is when you are on the clock you should be working. Chat on your breaks and lunches. Sounds harsh but you are being paid to work not chat

^^^^ Love, Love, Love this !!!!!

I too love this!! It's my general philosophy! I have engaged in chatter but will always stop and acknowledge guest regardless of who I am having a conversation with, whether it be a peer, STL or even DTL.

I'll remember this the next time the dtl and their entourage comes in and all simultaneously walk by 50 guests without even acknowledging them and making the guest move while they sweep through like demigods.

And the next time the stl talks to me about anything not work related while I'm on the clock, I'll tell her to shut her mouth cause she is not letting me work efficiently and at 100,000,300%

That's what being inflexible sounds like.

There is a middle ground.

Last edited:
My, then new, STL would often walks by guest without acknowledging and I made darn sure I challenged them as they set the example. I can say they are making more of an effort now. My DTL will stop a walk to assist a guest.
Unfortunately not everyone can talk and work at the same time. We have a guy who is so uber polite he makes sure he is making eye contact when he is having a conversation which means not only is he stopping but the person with whom he is speaking has to stop. I want my team to enjoy work and each other but the work has to get done in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back