Archived Target closing 11 additional stores this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
HQ informed the 11 stores over the weekend they would be closing before the end of 2016. A full location list has not yet been made public yet.

Wasn't there already a list of 13 closures for 2016? I remember reading about this in like December or November last year. Plus you know we're opening 14 new ones this year...

This happens yearly. They always assess their buildings and sales and see if improvements are worth it. Especially with all the remodels coming down, they probably are closing down quite a few because it is cheaper to rebuild somewhere else than remodel.
I am wondering if ours is on the list. We have a two digit store number.

KTRS) – Target is closing the store that house a police command center during the unrest in Ferguson in 2014.

The location in Buzz Westfall Plaza will close August 20. Employees were told about the closure on Monday and will be offered the chance to transfer to other stores. The company says stores are typically closed after several years of declining profits.

I am wondering if ours is on the list. We have a two digit store number.
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are a few two-digit store numbers in my area and they have all been recently remodeled. One of them they actually opened a replacement store a few years ago but there was enough volume to justify keeping them both.

KTRS) – Target is closing the store that house a police command center during the unrest in Ferguson in 2014.

The location in Buzz Westfall Plaza will close August 20. Employees were told about the closure on Monday and will be offered the chance to transfer to other stores. The company says stores are typically closed after several years of declining profits.
That's somehow not very surprising. I heard they legit have like 20 call-offs every day and big AP problems. And when they need support help, nobody wants to go (even for OT) because it's not exactly in the best area of town and it's located far away from... well, everything.

It sounds like they should have never located there.

High theft alone will not cause a store to be closed. It's the amount of sales compared to the theft that will get a store closed. Some stores in bad areas do very well for various reasons.

I doubt my store is one of them because sales have been good, but I kinda hope it is because I don't like the management at my store and I want to be transferred.

This happens yearly. They always assess their buildings and sales and see if improvements are worth it. Especially with all the remodels coming down, they probably are closing down quite a few because it is cheaper to rebuild somewhere else than remodel.

Yeah this does happen every year, but it is a little unusual for them to do a second round of closings halfway through the year. I don't think it means anything more than they're moving to cut low performing stores sooner rather than later. It helps capitalize on real estate and reduce expenses while we're still in this fiscal year.

Yeah this does happen every year, but it is a little unusual for them to do a second round of closings halfway through the year. I don't think it means anything more than they're moving to cut low performing stores sooner rather than later. It helps capitalize on real estate and reduce expenses while we're still in this fiscal year.
The store list of closings are? I think your data is from last year. Those stores were closed by February 1st, except for 5 stores.

A few years back, Spot announced a second round of closings in late January, with stores closing in May. Occasionally, retailers will break stores closings into waves if they need to close a large amount in a particular year, in an effort to reduce the total number of store closings hitting the news at any one time (if Spot were to announce that they were closing 50 stores at once, customers would go into a panic). Although Spot is healthy overall, they have plenty of stores which are bringing down the company's bottom line and are ideal candidates for closure.

So BTS and liquidation! Should be a fun summer for them...

Actually, No BTS. Last set of POGs for our store will be June 23rd. BTS sets July 3rd for all but early set stores. Our store was not on the list of Early Set. Its not a fun experience because our vets are definitely getting slap happy about feeling like a 90-day warning is a waste of time.

Actually, No BTS. Last set of POGs for our store will be June 23rd. BTS sets July 3rd for all but early set stores. Our store was not on the list of Early Set. Its not a fun experience because our vets are definitely getting slap happy about feeling like a 90-day warning is a waste of time.
Are you a low store number?

It's not wrong. The two stores I personally know are closing weren't announced until last weekend and weren't a part of the list of stores announced in January. These stores are closing in August. Target isn't required to publicly announce store closings.

There's one store I can think of that should be closed, hope a list is posted soon.

There are news articles about at least one of them already.

I wonder if Spot is going to announce the store closings in a rolling manner, instead of one press release like in years past. Many other retailers have started to do this whenever possible to minimize the national media impact of store closures ("Spot store closing in Suchtown, Suchstate" gets a lot less national media exposure than "Spot closing 30 stores").

Over this past year, Albertsons has been doing exactly this, and has closed a sizeable number of underperforming stores while also avoiding the media exposure of a national announcement. Dillards has also been known for closing stores in this manner.

Well it appears that the closing announcements have started. The SuperSpot in Indio, California will be closing at the end of January, after opening less than 10 years ago. The area surrounding this store was hit hard during the recession, and sales traffic likely never met the goals which Spot originally envisioned for this store, not to mention the high overhead costs of full grocery.

Target has grown substantialy in the past 20 years. Stores 20 years and older are outdated, too small to house the amount of product that flows through the DC. Ive heard they arent closing down, just making room for larger stores. Hopefully these employees will get to keep their jobs. What a heartbreak it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back