Archived target hires sex offenders????

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a TM at my store who constantly makes girls uncomfortable. He is pushing 30, but flirts with 18-21 year olds, he has no concept of personal space, will make a point of finding out when certain people leave so that he can come and talk to them before they go. He will grab my hand while I’m talking to him or touch my back. He has also asked out multiple girls while on the clock.
This has been going on for a while, but to make matters worse, I recently learned that he is a registered sex offender (thanks google). He had a job as a high school teacher and was arrested for sleeping with an underaged student. Should I talk to HR about how uncomfortable he makes me, or should I just let it go? I really don’t want him to find out it was me who said something, and I also don’t want to make a big deal out of nothing. Also, why would Target hire a sex offender? Especially due to the nature of his crime, it seems odd. Target employs a decent amount of minors, isn’t that kind of risky??

There is a TM at my store who constantly makes girls uncomfortable. He is pushing 30, but flirts with 18-21 year olds, he has no concept of personal space, will make a point of finding out when certain people leave so that he can come and talk to them before they go. He will grab my hand while I’m talking to him or touch my back. He has also asked out multiple girls while on the clock.
This has been going on for a while, but to make matters worse, I recently learned that he is a registered sex offender (thanks google). He had a job as a high school teacher and was arrested for sleeping with an underaged student. Should I talk to HR about how uncomfortable he makes me, or should I just let it go? I really don’t want him to find out it was me who said something, and I also don’t want to make a big deal out of nothing. Also, why would Target hire a sex offender? Especially due to the nature of his crime, it seems odd. Target employs a decent amount of minors, isn’t that kind of risky??
That's surprising. In many states sec offenders can't work in any place that minors will be present. The background check probably missed that. Definitely bring it up to her, and document any of his weird behavior.

I see @Kartman point in that someone who has served their time and is trying to make a living, doesn't need to be hounded for it.
It is none of anyone's business as long as they don't make it an issue.
Hiring sex offenders is actually a good thing, since they need to have a stable life to keep from re-offending.
I know the concept makes people feel uncomfortable but if we want to keep them off welfare they need to work.

Now if this person is making people uncomfortable and invading personal space, they need to file complaints.
There needs to be a paper trail to get rid of someone and the only way to do that is speak up.

Were you one of the women who he asked out and made to feel uncomfortable?
Then yes, you should go in and talk to HR.
If you don't do it, there is a good chance no one will.

Now if you weren't one of the people he hit on then its a little tougher.
You can give an impression but everything will be second hand.

Absolutely talk to HR. If he is touching you and that touching is uninvited and makes you uncomfortable...that is sexual harassment, plain and simple. As a predator he is testing your boundaries. He wants to see how far he can go. If you have dates and times of what has happened to you, take those to HR. They can go back on the cameras to verify.

Also, you are ALLOWED to tell him to not touch you.

I see @Kartman point in that someone who has served their time and is trying to make a living, doesn't need to be hounded for it.
It is none of anyone's business as long as they don't make it an issue.
Hiring sex offenders is actually a good thing, since they need to have a stable life to keep from re-offending.
I know the concept makes people feel uncomfortable but if we want to keep them off welfare they need to work.

Now if this person is making people uncomfortable and invading personal space, they need to file complaints.
There needs to be a paper trail to get rid of someone and the only way to do that is speak up.

Were you one of the women who he asked out and made to feel uncomfortable?
Then yes, you should go in and talk to HR.
If you don't do it, there is a good chance no one will.

Now if you weren't one of the people he hit on then its a little tougher.
You can give an impression but everything will be second hand.
Absolutely. My issue with him began before I had any clue of his criminal status, and if he wasn’t making people uncomfortable, I would leave the whole situation alone. It’s just that information ON TOP of the things he was already doing that made even more uneasy about him.
He has not asked me out, thankfully. But he does constantly touch my back, grab and hold my hand while he talks to me, and just generally invades my personal space to the point that I find myself actively avoiding him.

Trust your instincts and report the behavior. Encourage others to do the same. Women are trained to suppress their instincts about this kind of behavior and blow it off as "harmless," but he's pinging your creep-o-meter for a reason.

Start off, use your words. Tell him no. See if it works before escalation.

He could be a predator grooming his next prey. He might be a sociopath and hey, she's cute. He could have been a stupid 21 year old fresh out of college who fell in genuine love with a 17 year old, completely consensual, and romeo & juliet laws didn't apply because of the teacher/student power imbalance. He might have a developmental disorder that affects socialization, and either his attentions were blown out of proportion because some girl exaggerated (maybe even lied a little) to keep her parents happy, or he thought he found love and couldn't socially read the girl was not enthusiastic and just saying the words, crime without intent.

But step one is saying to him what about his conduct you don't like. Maybe he won't care and keep doing it. Maybe he'll get creepy in another way. Maybe he'll be surprised and apologize because he thought you didn't mind and he then pulls back to the boundary you set.

this is literally the worst thread Ive seen on this site since I joined for so many reasons and I would feel so uptight if I just sat here and listed them all off...but the initial poster or OP basically just vented and needed no response...and now this has become a weird comment back and forth...kldfjaslfj what is this even? damn...like I get it it should be documented, I get it no one knows the guy or if there is bias against the guy and etc etc etc so why is it even being discussed lmao really though

talk to HR. you have the right to be comfortable at work and your leadership team will want to hear about this.

If he is making YOU uncomfortable with his uninvited touching, that's definitely something you can take to HR. Other things that have been done or said to others is for others to report, although you could encourage them to do so. But you can report only the facts that you know to be true from your own experience.
There was a male TM at my store who flirted quite a lot with a particular female TM. I couldn't tell if it was welcome or not, so I approached the female TM and asked her if she was made uncomfortable. Turned out they were friends from before they worked at Target and she knew he was just having fun, and she didn't take any offense.
I take @commiecorvus's point about offenders having served their time and needing to work, but that doesn't mean they have a free ticket to act inappropriately.
And I take @Kartman's point that we have only one side of the story - but honestly Kartman, that's all we ever get from someone's post about anything. If a TM is making another TM feel uncomfortable, the uneasy TM IS minding their own business in trying to figure out what to do about it.

If he is making YOU uncomfortable with his uninvited touching, that's definitely something you can take to HR. Other things that have been done or said to others is for others to report, although you could encourage them to do so. But you can report only the facts that you know to be true from your own experience.
There was a male TM at my store who flirted quite a lot with a particular female TM. I couldn't tell if it was welcome or not, so I approached the female TM and asked her if she was made uncomfortable. Turned out they were friends from before they worked at Target and she knew he was just having fun, and she didn't take any offense.
I take @commiecorvus's point about offenders having served their time and needing to work, but that doesn't mean they have a free ticket to act inappropriately.
And I take @Kartman's point that we have only one side of the story - but honestly Kartman, that's all we ever get from someone's post about anything. If a TM is making another TM feel uncomfortable, the uneasy TM IS minding their own business in trying to figure out what to do about it.

I didn't say they have a free ticket.

I said that if they are stepping over lines they should be treated like anybody else who does that.
First, the person in question needs to tell him to back the fuck off and if the behavior continues report his ass.

I have two daughters.
I raised both of them to not put up with any of that kind of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back