Target in the next 3-5 yrs

This came up in another thread where we was talking about modernization and where they brought up former CEO Bob Ulrich and then that Target is moving in the direction of Walmart and may go out of business within the next 30 yrs. Bob Ulrich had to retire due to he reached 65 and I guess thats in their bylaws that once a CEO turns 65 they are forced to retire. With Brian Cornell being around 63 or so that means in 2023 we may be looking at another CEO. I know this is long post, but what do you think our direction as a company will be going within the next 3-5 yrs with a New CEO?

they are literally doing all of that though
Never said they weren't, just that there could be a wider emphasis. Very few stores in my district and around me have SFS or place a high enough emphasis on online order pickup which is where all of the money is going and will continue to go in the future. I think target is on the right path, but they could be doing more. The executives in corp and all of their teams know what they are doing, but this is just my opinion. I do not know enough to have a strong stance on any of this, but I do know that retail is changing. While people WILL still shop in stores, how they shop IS changing, and there are other retailers out there that are many steps ahead of us, even if they are or aren't currently as profitable as us.

the pandemic saved Target. if we can not keep the good times rolling Target will be selling off chunks of itself with in 5 years
FYI splitting up the company is something which has happened before in this organization. Target originally was created by, and part of, a traditional department store company, known as Dayton Hudson Corporation.

In 2000, a decision was reached to "maximize shareholder value" by splitting up Dayton Hudson. The full-service Dayton Hudson department stores were sold off to Macy's. Mervyn's was spun off as an IPO (only to end up in bankruptcy 7 years later). Some other subsidiary units were sold off. Target discount department stores remained part of the original corporation, which itself was renamed "Target Corporation".

In 2014, Target Pharmacy was spun off to CVS Health for a fairly large cash injection.

At any time, it's conceivable that Target will sell off some operational divisions. Those decision to sell off a corporate division or asset are usually made in great secrecy until some mole leaks the news to the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg or CNBC.

Nobody can accurately guess the future when it comes to businesses. From the late 60s until about 1990, the largest-volume discount department store chain in America wasn't Target or Walmart but..... K-Mart! All three of these companies started business in 1962, and while K-Mart is still kinda-sorta in business it's a tiny entity on bankruptcy life support. For that matter, for much of the mid-20th century, the largest-volume retail stores in America were full-service department stores -- Sears Roebuck, JC Penney, Montgomery Ward, and others I can't recall.

I wonder if Target will hire an outsource their employees like example Starbucks.

The general public thinks they work for Starbucks anyway.

I wonder if Target will hire an outsource their employees like example Starbucks.

The general public thinks they work for Starbucks anyway.
Very possible. Target might also outsource the entire electronics section - like they did with selling Target Pharmacy to CVS. Perhaps Crutchfield, Best Buy or even the reincarnated HH Gregg would be takers. A third-party electronics store within Target would likely only have display-only items, you would order actual product online.

Never said they weren't, just that there could be a wider emphasis. Very few stores in my district and around me have SFS or place a high enough emphasis on online order pickup which is where all of the money is going and will continue to go in the future. I think target is on the right path, but they could be doing more. The executives in corp and all of their teams know what they are doing, but this is just my opinion. I do not know enough to have a strong stance on any of this, but I do know that retail is changing. While people WILL still shop in stores, how they shop IS changing, and there are other retailers out there that are many steps ahead of us, even if they are or aren't currently as profitable as us.
Can we get the online opu for fresh grocery to
Charge the guest at order time like all other online companies.
I mean I see so much return to stock. which has to be thrown away. cause it is expired and sat in order pickup for a week. I think a few disgruntled former tms keep creating new email accounts and ordering shit but never picking up. I mean 6.2% of America is unemployed

Or maybe a minimum $$ order? Kinda like they do for certain ship items? You can't get them shipped unless you order at least $35.

Very possible. Target might also outsource the entire electronics section - like they did with selling Target Pharmacy to CVS. Perhaps Crutchfield, Best Buy or even the reincarnated HH Gregg would be takers. A third-party electronics store within Target would likely only have display-only items, you would order actual product online.
I'd appreciate this. Our electronics guys mean well but they're stretched thin too and half the time I can't find anyone to help me get anything back there because they're elsewhere.

They are testing replacing electronics with an Apple store in several stores.

Are you talking Starbucks within Target? Because those are Target Team Members and Starbucks within Target are run by Target through a licensed agreement with Starbucks.
What I meant to say is the Starbucks in all Targets would be manned BY Starbucks.

I realized they are Target TMs already and I believe they do the same at Kroger.

That being said before COVID our Target Cafe was closed a lot because they have to keep the Starbucks because of the that licensed agreement

My prediction is thst theyre gonna follow the amazon route and start turning or start building warehouse like stores where people can actually order online and drive up to the parking lot to pick them up. And only open a small section of it for returns. In the long run, more and more people will use apps to order, and target doesnt have to maintain and make stores pretty. All products are shelved, no more zoning, no more helping customers and all tms are OPU ppl. Its quick, efficient, and less time digging thru repacks. Drive up service is a success born from pandemic

I believe they will not split off deoartments but continue to make partnerships with other brands (like the apple store) for specific timeframes. This wouldn't be new. I do think they will continue to expand style and beauty, and we will see remodels expanding market as restaurants will take years to recover market share. Probably reduce electronics and entertainment further.

What I meant to say is the Starbucks in all Targets would be manned BY Starbucks.

I realized they are Target TMs already and I believe they do the same at Kroger.

That being said before COVID our Target Cafe was closed a lot because they have to keep the Starbucks because of the that licensed agreement
Yes - Kroger hires the employees, but they are bound by Starbuck's contract (if that makes sense)

My prediction is thst theyre gonna follow the amazon route and start turning or start building warehouse like stores where people can actually order online and drive up to the parking lot to pick them up. And only open a small section of it for returns. In the long run, more and more people will use apps to order, and target doesnt have to maintain and make stores pretty. All products are shelved, no more zoning, no more helping customers and all tms are OPU ppl. Its quick, efficient, and less time digging thru repacks. Drive up service is a success born from pandemic
This is a thing in progress IIRC

Yes - Kroger hires the employees, but they are bound by Starbuck's contract (if that makes sense)
Basically what we do.
SBTMs go thru the same training as corp SB stores but we're Target TMs & are paid MUCH higher than baristas at corp stores.
During the pandemic we picked up a couple corp baristas whose stores had slashed hours; they were getting the same amount of hours at Target but were starting at double the pay without having to depend on tips to supplement.

Basically what we do.
SBTMs go thru the same training as corp SB stores but we're Target TMs & are paid MUCH higher than baristas at corp stores.
During the pandemic we picked up a couple corp baristas whose stores had slashed hours; they were getting the same amount of hours at Target but were starting at double the pay without having to depend on tips to supplement.
Do you know if we do tips? I remember at Kroger, they allowed tips (at least, when I was there they did). I remember they got the same base pay as everyone else, so being a barista was actually a pretty good deal.

Back