Target just fired me for asking to go on a Leave of Absence. What do I do now?

I'm a college student that's been working at Target for 4 years. Every time I wanted an educational leave of absence, I got it. I called my STL today and asked for one and she basically said educational leaves are no longer offered and that I would have to re-apply once I'm back

Is there ANY other reason I can take a leave of absence for besides education. I might try asking for a personal leave but I'm not sure if it will be approved.

You can become on demand only have to work once every 6 weeks. Are you going away to school?

Yes, I am. I'm gonna be like 5 hours away and I'll be back in November. And I don't think that's an option anyway since the STL told me I'm on not in good standing currently due to attendance.

I’ve heard about how LOAs are no longer an option in plenty of districts, but I do not remember why, so I can't speak to the company's direction on that. I will say that On-demand Team members are ”in” right now, so I’d check that out. There’s a whole thread about it, and you’re basally “on call,” and work whenever you want or whenever they need the help. You choose your shifts, but the deterrent is that you are essentially exempt from vacation, raises, etc. I’d ask your HR about the LOA business and becoming On-demand. Not all stores do it, but it’s definitely worth a conversation.

If all else fails, and you leave on good terms. If you still have an interest in staying with target once you come back from school, just reapply, and they’ll hire you back in an instant. Retail jobs aren’t exactly popular anymore, and all stores could use the help no matter what They say.

I’ve heard about how LOAs are no longer an option in plenty of districts, but I do not remember why, so I can't speak to the company's direction on that. I will say that On-demand Team members are ”in” right now, so I’d check that out. There’s a whole thread about it, and you’re basally “on call,” and work whenever you want or whenever they need the help. You choose your shifts, but the deterrent is that you are essentially exempt from vacation, raises, etc. I’d ask your HR about the LOA business and becoming On-demand. Not all stores do it, but it’s definitely worth a conversation.

If all else fails, and you leave on good terms. If you still have an interest in staying with target once you come back from school, just reapply, and they’ll hire you back in an instant. Retail jobs aren’t exactly popular anymore, and all stores could use the help no matter what They say.

I don't think I'll be re-hired. The STL hates me lol

No more educational LOAs is a company wide thing now I believe. You can go to "on demand" but I don't know how that works if you're on corrective action etc. If you are "not in good standing" for attendance you must have documented coachings or be on corrective action for you calling off.

Maybe you should have thought about that when you were not showing up to work or calling off. Maybe your SD has a reason to "hate you".

so wait did you get fired or are you still employed, getting a lot of mixed messages here

educational loas were replaced by on-demand team members, you only need to get scheduled once every 6 months to maintain your employment... if you are ineligible for some reason due to attendance issues then unfortunately i think that is on you

I'm a college student that's been working at Target for 4 years. Every time I wanted an educational leave of absence, I got it. I called my STL today and asked for one and she basically said educational leaves are no longer offered and that I would have to re-apply once I'm back

Is there ANY other reason I can take a leave of absence for besides education. I might try asking for a personal leave but I'm not sure if it will be approved.
You go on demand now.

I don't think I'll be re-hired. The STL hates me lol
If an SD hates you it's because of something you've done and in this case it sounds like you are an attendance liability. I've never not have I ever seen another manager hate a team member who is a hard worker and shows up for their shifts.

There have been team members I don't like personally but I never took it out on them regarding hours or scheduling.

In case you want some info.

No more educational LOAs is a company wide thing now I believe. You can go to "on demand" but I don't know how that works if you're on corrective action etc. If you are "not in good standing" for attendance you must have documented coachings or be on corrective action for you calling off.

Maybe you should have thought about that when you were not showing up to work or calling off. Maybe your SD has a reason to "hate you".
If the SD is willing to fire over the phone and during the same call say the OP isn't in good standing, has it occurred to you that maybe there isn't any documentation? That the SD wants the OP gone but has no basis for making it happen because the OP hasn't been documented?

@TheNittanyMan If the firing was on the phone, don't take it at face value and stop showing up. Could be a bluff in an attempt to get you to NCNS your way out of the job by making you think you are no longer employed when you actually are.

Drat. That ELOA was great for those of us who went on study abroad (I went to Ireland for Irish language school for 3 weeks one summer). That's a huge problem. I start clinicals in November and was thinking that might be an option if things got tight with that.

Of course, I was in good standing, too.

It sounds like they're trying to force everyone to career land, though.

This why I don't really trust anymore. If they fired you by phone that just sends red flags. There has to be documentation and the team member has to be present the spot wouldn't make it easy for you to get unemployment. I wouldn't trust their word for anything. I would go in anyway just to make sure.

This why I don't really trust anymore. If they fired you by phone that just sends red flags. There has to be documentation and the team member has to be present the spot wouldn't make it easy for you to get unemployment. I wouldn't trust their word for anything. I would go in anyway just to make sure.
I would go into the store and ask for some sort of documentation.

Even if they give you something FILE FOR UNEMPLOYMENT and go from there.

The fact you worked there over four years helps YOU A LOT.

As to reapplying in November I would go ahead a do that too since the SD might even been gone by then.

Yup as others have said go in on your next scheduled shift. I have a current etl specialty that tried this with a new tm because she didnt want to deal with thr tms lack of availability. Literally told her, while she was calling out (donr get me started on that), "well dont bother coming in until we get your schedule figured out"
Luckily the tm called hr and hr got pissed and told them to come in anyway and work as a cashier. Thrn thry reemed the etl for trying to incite the tm to do a job abandon :/ dont trust management follow your schefule and talk tor hr and document everything.

On Demand has replaced the educational LOA and you need to work once within a six month period. Attendance issues have no bearing on transitioning someone to on demand. I would speak to your ETL-HR about going on demand

People abused loas. I watched a lady go on one when it came time for her to return she called out then went back on one. You don't get paid so why even do it

If an SD hates you it's because of something you've done and in this case it sounds like you are an attendance liability. I've never not have I ever seen another manager hate a team member who is a hard worker and shows up for their shifts.

There have been team members I don't like personally but I never took it out on them regarding hours or scheduling.
Man some managers especially a TL and the Closing TL on weekdays at my work constantly bitch at me but don’t go after others for laziness or if they did similar stuff like I do. They know I work hard as a CA, This company allows favoritism and bias. They will go after hard workers who don’t suck up to them aka myself.

Last edited:
Man some managers especially a TL and the Closing TL on weekdays at my work constantly bitch at me but don’t go after others for laziness or if they did similar stuff like I do. They know I work hard as a CA, This company allows favoritism and bias. They will go after hard workers who don’t suck up to them aka myself.
This reminds my of my relationship with my last ETL before I left.

Back