MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

So today was the first day I gave up on the iPods and went back to old faithful for the day. The iPod wouldn't even hold a signal for longer than 5 seconds. And it wasn't just mine, everyone was calling me saying "is your iPod working?!" I'll try them again tomorrow.

Past couple days ours don't seem to be logging out so much. and for the connectivity problems, usually airplane on then off works for me. Or I'll do wifi off then back on. Same method works with my phone and iPad too.

Past couple days ours don't seem to be logging out so much. and for the connectivity problems, usually airplane on then off works for me. Or I'll do wifi off then back on. Same method works with my phone and iPad too.
I wasn't logged out once today besides a manual log out. I was wha...?!

It kept me logged in today too! The scanner was still giving me problems though. I'd either go to the search and then cancel or double tap home button and swipe up to close the app. Upon reopening the app I was still logged in and scanner would then work.

1) LOGOUT: Yes; everybody agrees it's a mess right now. Here's how it's supposed to work...
  • After 2 minutes, the iPod "auto-locks" (goes dark) to save battery.
    • Because of this forum, I'm researching making this longer or at least configurable (so you can set it how you want it). More to come...
    • In one of the beta stores, it was set to "never" auto-lock and the iPods were all dead within a few hours.
  • After 15 minutes, a passcode (Store #) is required to unlock the iPod.
  • After 2 hours of inactivity, apps log the user out completely. (This is clearly busted right now and lots of people are trying to fix it).
2a) VOLUME: Yes; many agree the iPods should be louder... but we're kinda limited there.
2b) SOUNDS: It's important that the sounds are consistent, or at least that they default to a "standard" sound after the user logs off. Unfortunately, much like the iPod's wallpaper, eventually every iPod would emit different sounds for different things because it can't "reset" to default sounds after a user logs off. The iPod saves the last user's settings.

3) Yes; SUBT & STO will be in the myWork app. STO is actually very, very simple. Just scan the stockroom location and takes the item you last scanned and stows it into that location. SUBT will show up as a "take" button next to the stockroom locations (like the "add" button next to the sales floor locations). Touch that button and it acts like SUBT.

4) INSTOCKS: This one's a bit complicated because we learned that how the system actually works (with the PDAs) is different than what it appears. Sometimes it replaces the count you entered and sometimes it adds to what you entered. What it shows on the PDA screen is different than what the system actually did. So, step 1 was to make the myWork app behave the way the back end system works... next, we'll fix all that. TIP: Other users can "Research" things you've already counted and their counts will override yours. That's one way to get around that issue for now.

5) BATCHES: I think fill batches auto close after like 15 minutes. (Or maybe it's an hour; I forget). New POG Fills are created automatically when POGs are tied. There's lot of opinions on this one... and I'm gonna stay out of it :)

ALL ELSE: I've been around a while here and feel many of the same things you're saying. I've worked in lots of areas (including stores), and I'm learning that everything changes. If it doesn't change, then the name probably will :) This isn't because "Target" is trying to move backwards or because people at corporate are trying to justify their existence. It's because everybody is just trying to do a good job, but the people are constantly changing. In that way, Target (as an employer) feels more like an institution or University that people pass through. Some (like me) stay longer than others. Today, Target isn't run by the same people who ran it even 3 years ago, and new people bring new perspectives and priorities. In some cases, new people come up with bad ideas (like "system lead sign audit" - yuck!). But then, even newer people come in do away with sign audit and the scan up/down process entirely. I'm sure in a few years, someone new will come up with a "great idea" where we put barcodes on signs and scan them into salesfloor locations. (J/K... hopefully) :)

PS: Connecting time-clock or HR info to the login is in the works... but it's a big deal on the system side. So, give it a year or two. :(

Thank you so much for being on this forum and communicating with us. That means a lot, actually.

1) The battery life is fantastic and so, do what you can do! The fact that you guys are aware is great to hear.

2a) Ok.
2b) Is the notification "coin" sound built into the app itself or is it customizable? I would happily change it every time I picked up a different iPod but it doesn't seem that I can change the notification sound at all, as presently constructed. There are some notification sounds built indo the iPod that are extremely lengthy and noticeable. That is not the case, however, with the "coin" alert sound.

3) Sounds fantastic.

4) Interesting. I long suspected that it was screwed up in that regard but never confirmed. Also, Thanks for the tip.

5) Yeah, opinions... however, realize that it's unproductive to be forced to pull a batch for a carry forward end cap that is already full. The team member that created the batch because of the tie would have to communicate that it needs to get burned and not all team members are seasoned enough to know to do that. Additionally, whether it is communicated to be burned or not, it is still unproductive to have a batch in the first place.

ALL ELSE: The fact that the people are constantly changing should tell the higher ups something. I hear what you're saying, and it makes sense from an explanation standpoint, but it also feels like that corporate as a whole doesn't realize that having people constantly changing in the manner in which they are... is a bad thing. It's a good thing that people are getting promoted internally, but what I'm talking about is the layoffs and role consolidations. Just a few years ago we netted around $3 billion as a company. What they seemingly don't realize, or don't care about because maybe the strategy is to line their pockets and get out, is that cutting staffing to the point that they have is going to cost money in the long run. It's already costing money in the here and now in so many obvious ways that it's unfathomable to really think that they don't know what the long term repercussions of their staffing structure, strategy, and payroll allotment will lead to. Corporations really do like to die from the inside, I suppose. It just makes me sad, because we still have so much potential that continues to slowly erode.

TLDR: If Target paid their employees well from corporate to the stores, gave them reasonable hours with realistic expectations and job duties, we could still profit and the silly direction change every 3-6 months would cease, as people would be more content with their positions and not leave the company at such a hastened pace.

Question... is the ability to subtract more than what the system shows in a backroom location (SUBT9999 as others have called it) remaining with the iPod backroom rollout? We use this right now because the accumulator is beyond broken. You are probably aware, however, that currently what we do, as an example, is as follows:
  • A DPCI has 1, 2, 5, 10, 500, or however many eaches in a backroom location and the system keeps prompting us to pull them because it thinks that it will go out onto the sales floor for whatever reason. What we do now, once we recognize this, is SUBT 9999 from a location with at least 1 of those eaches, for instance, and then the system says "Did you pull all of the eaches from this location?" or something to that effect and we hit "No" and then it prompts us to key how many eaches are remaining in the location, which is typically the original number that it asked us to pull that were actually there. This "fixes" the accumulator by tricking the sales floor into thinking that we pulled all of those and the system stops asking us to pull that DPCI over and over.

And it's important to note that as currently constructed, SUBTing 9999 does not create an error. There should just be a "reset accumulator" button so that all of the unnecessary steps are removed, but whatever.
I think it just needs to have a pop up after you tie something and ask "do you want a fill dropped for A012MNV?" And hit yes or no, while still checking it off in TWT. I wish we could name them though.

Also anyone know about this?. Back in like May I searched on Workbench about REDwire and it pulled up a page for REDwire, which then pulled up a screenshot of im assuming a iOS 6 version of the myDevices, which had the Item Search icon and a few other PDA icons along with normal iPod apps as well. Anyone know if this was how the iPods were originally supposed to be like? Separate apps but faster and smaller device? Just curious. Should probable ask @UIguy.

Last edited:
Also anyone know about this?. Back in like May I searched on Workbench about REDwire and it pulled up a page for REDwire, which then pulled up a screenshot of im assuming a iOS 6 version of the myDevices, which had the Item Search icon and a few other PDA icons along with normal iPod apps as well. Anyone know if this was how the iPods were originally supposed to be like? Separate apps but faster and smaller device? Just curious. Should probable ask UIguy but I don't know how to tag someone in a post
to tag someone just do @ then the user name. IE @RunForACallBox

Also anyone know about this?. Back in like May I searched on Workbench about REDwire and it pulled up a page for REDwire, which then pulled up a screenshot of im assuming a iOS 6 version of the myDevices, which had the Item Search icon and a few other PDA icons along with normal iPod apps as well. Anyone know if this was how the iPods were originally supposed to be like? Separate apps but faster and smaller device? Just curious. Should probable ask UIguy but I don't know how to tag someone in a post
to tag someone just do @ then the user name. IE @RunForACallBox
Thank you!!!

Does your store currently have the red ipod my devices?i don't like them and actually prefer the slower LPDA's.. The motorola example thats being piloted right now sounds and looks positive though!

STL: Hey, you have to start using the myDevice instead of the LPDA.

ME: OK. But it doesn't show number of prompts or number of RCs.

STL: That's ok. You can just check Workbench when your shift is done.

ME: OK.

STL (20 minutes later): Hey, GSTL what's our conversion?

ME: IDK. I don't know how many prompts we have.

STL: crickets

STL: Hey, you have to start using the myDevice instead of the LPDA.

ME: OK. But it doesn't show number of prompts or number of RCs.

STL: That's ok. You can just check Workbench when your shift is done.

ME: OK.

STL (20 minutes later): Hey, GSTL what's our conversion?

ME: IDK. I don't know how many prompts we have.

STL: crickets
:D:D:D Couldn't he just check myHome on the computer? I'm pretty sure he's in TSC somewhere, lol.

I have been getting kicked out of the mydevices a LOT less lately, so if anyone fixed anything, they did it right at my store. Now if only the scanner could initialize every time I open myWork, that'd be great.
Sorry I haven't been active on here lately! Yes; we've been making progress on the "logout" issue. We started making system changes on Dec 5th and we'll keep trying till we get it perfect!

I have been getting kicked out of the mydevices a LOT less lately, so if anyone fixed anything, they did it right at my store. Now if only the scanner could initialize every time I open myWork, that'd be great.
Sorry I haven't been active on here lately! Yes; we've been making progress on the "logout" issue. We started making system changes on Dec 5th and we'll keep trying till we get it perfect!

It's been noticed already! Thank you!

I was not kicked out once the other day. Now the only deal breaker bug that needs to be fixed is the scanner issue.

Thanks for being active here and updating us on improvements to the devices.

I assume the scanner issues are a firmware issue. Is it possible for you to update the firmware remotely to fix it either not working the first few seconds after waking up the device or just not responding at all?

Another thing: redwire alerts need to have 3 or more dings and they need to be louder. If possible make it so you can change the alert sound but that would be unique to your account so different team members have different alert tones (instead of different iPods having different tones).

Last request: MyFA, Sort Stuff. It's kinda impossible to go to MyFA when the alerts tell you to on a iPod because they don't have that app. Sort Stuff is very useful at the service desk so you aren't tied to a register to sort things.

I have never had to log in again after the initial log in lately. Big improvement!! Just wish the mydevice would count the pricing score correctly .. hate being red every week -_-

Yes. I don't get logged out at all now unless it's a manual logout. And I'm there 8 hrs!

Yes. I would love some kind of alert tone that's longer or makes multiple dings. Like the one on the PDA. I like the coin sound, I'm used to it it's gets my attention. The default REDwire "tri-tone" sounds like my iPhone and everyone elses's iPhone. I'm just glad the iPod is on one hip and my phone on the other, so I can judge which one made a noise.

Last edited:
Thanks for being active here and updating us on improvements to the devices.

I assume the scanner issues are a firmware issue. Is it possible for you to update the firmware remotely to fix it either not working the first few seconds after waking up the device or just not responding at all?

Another thing: redwire alerts need to have 3 or more dings and they need to be louder. If possible make it so you can change the alert sound but that would be unique to your account so different team members have different alert tones (instead of different iPods having different tones).

Last request: MyFA, Sort Stuff. It's kinda impossible to go to MyFA when the alerts tell you to on a iPod because they don't have that app. Sort Stuff is very useful at the service desk so you aren't tied to a register to sort things.
I was very surprised today. My scanner didn't quit once today, now tomorrow is a different story...

Yeah, I'm really noticing the logins have gotten better. Comes in handy after backing up at the lanes.

Now if only there was an update to make the things sturdier after a few hard drops. Not that I've been dropping them hard or anything.

Yeah, I'm really noticing the logins have gotten better. Comes in handy after backing up at the lanes.

Now if only there was an update to make the things sturdier after a few hard drops. Not that I've been dropping them hard or anything.
I accidentally tossed mine the other day. Had it in my hand and picked a box and somehow it just went flying. Slammed on the ground face down. My heart stopped. It was fine though.

I accidentally tossed mine the other day. Had it in my hand and picked a box and somehow it just went flying. Slammed on the ground face down. My heart stopped. It was fine though.

same here. A TM was on a stepladder and I was on the ground and I just dropped mine and we both just kind of stared at it for a minute, wondering if that really just happened.

It was fine, thank god.

same here. A TM was on a stepladder and I was on the ground and I just dropped mine and we both just kind of stared at it for a minute, wondering if that really just happened.

It was fine, thank god.
I did too, I was like how did that, get down there! I didn't pick it up for about 15 seconds...

Adding Sort Stuff to the MyDevices would also help with reporting empty packages, as it would mean I wouldn't have to hunt down someone with a PDA and interrupt their work just to report an empty package (because our AP wants locations for everything, no exceptions).

Back