Archived Target releases to the AP that they will open at midnight on Black Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What upsets me the most is that the geniuses who came up with this idea, will be enjoying their Thanksgiving dinner with their family, in their sweaters, watching football and having a good time, and probably have off on Black Friday as well as the next weekend. Mother************ers should have to come work in a store.

I agree!

We know going into this that you will be working the day after Thanksgiving, and in my store the night before until 2am. Our TLs schedules were all made out so that we could make plans with our families. Now we have been told that all TLs will be working "special" shifts on Friday. Most of us are all expected to be there at 9pm on Thanksgiving night, work until 5:30 am and then be expected to work again at 5-midnight. The rest will be working 5am until 5pm. That is just flipping crazy. We have already planned out our teams schedules in the last all leader meeting, which now was a total complete waste of time. We also have been informed that we will be hiring more people for the holiday season basically to cover Friday. This means in our case we need to hire additional people even though we are currently short 20 people for the original seasonal positions. If anyone really wanted to one up the competition they would make the Saturday before Thanksgiving the black friday. You could one up all of the competition. It seemed like last year alot of people did most of their shopping before Thanksgiving anyway. With the internet changing how people shop companies are going to have to think outside the box to grab sales.

best was last year, they had us all work overnight into thanksgiving, all the execs were gone on vacation enjoying their holiday

BAH HUMBUG.

i have to work wednesday from 10p until 8am (or until they let us go) for prep. now i gotta be back at midnight and work a split? i better be gettin' me some sweet OT.

Though I haven't seen an official schedule, my wife informed me that she was already told that she'd be closing late on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (she's plano, but she'll be there to put up signing), and that she'd (of course) have to come in to open at Midnight on Friday. There is a good chance I'll be closing on Wednesday as well (we work at different stores) to secure the store. I'm not gonna have to open on Black Friday, as I've already been told that I'd be pulling the later shift. That means with all the sleeping, and then going in early, and different shifts, I won't even see my family over the Thanksgiving weekend. Its a broken record, I know, but it doesn't mean I've gotten happier about it.

I'm just going to pull an all nighter because I am opening on black friday. No biggie for me.

joys of a small store, i get to open, then come back in the evening and close till 11pm ish THEN come back at 4am to do a saturday truck

With the exception of a few industry specific exceptions where there is a public safety factor (airline pilots, truck drivers, in a few states nurses) there are no laws in any state covering the general public requiring any particular number of hours between shifts.
I'm not sure if Target has guidelines that it tries to stick to about that but I suspect when it comes down to Black Friday, they could care less.

Target does have an 8 hour between shifts rule. In the stores I have worked at, it is a non-negotiable, much like compliance.

If you work 2 consecutive days, there must be at least 8 hours between shifts this is Target policy. They can make you work two shifts in the same day.

I am not sure about this and it may vary from state to state. But if you work 12 to 16 hours in one day, you are supposed to get differential or time and a half for the whole day worked.

Oops, I guess I've broken that rule about 100 times then... too many close til midnight and comeback at 4 cuz they approved OT.

Ditto. I'm pretty certain my state doesn't care because we are never talked to about it or told to sign anything...

Sorry to everyone who was told we wouldn't be opening at 12am....my store's STL was great with communication and told everyone (at least all the ETL's and TL's/key team members) to plan for both occasions. He called that HQ not announcing anything would probably mean 12 am, so I guess good call by him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back