Archived Target rolling out Caroline's Cart to its stores

Status
Not open for further replies.
CC-cart.jpg

When Adam Standiford’s family got to Target recently, they found something that would make their shopping trip a whole lot easier. A shopping cart with a large seat on the front—the perfect size for their daughter, Savannah, a six-year-old with special needs. It was a Caroline’s Cart, specially designed to help parents and caregivers shop with older kids or adults with special needs, without having to maneuver a cart and a wheelchair through the store at the same time.

“This simple cart literally will change how we can shop, not having to worry as to how we are going to get [Savannah] into a store,” said Adam in this post on our Facebook page.

Target has been testing the award-winning carts in our stores since February of 2015, and many more of our guests (like Brianne Fuller and her son, pictured above) have discovered them and shared their appreciation throughout social media. So much love, in fact, that they’ve been asking when the carts will show up in more of our stores.

Good news—we’re rolling Caroline’s Cart out to Target stores nationwide! Beginning March 19, the vast majority of our stores (with the exception of a handful of our smallest stores where we don’t have full-size carts) will have at least one Caroline’s Cart, and many will have more, depending on their guests’ needs.

The cart has a fascinating history. It's named after Caroline, daughter of Drew Ann Long, an inventor and stay-at-home mom from Alabama. Drew Ann came up with the idea after realizing her daughter, a 7-year-old with Rett syndrome, would outgrow a standard shopping cart. So she and her husband David founded Parent Solution Group, LLC. in 2008, and partnered with Technibuilt to manufacture the carts for retailers to use worldwide.

“We’re thrilled that Target is our largest retail partner,” says Drew Ann. “We hear from so many families asking specifically for the carts at Target because they love shopping there, so it’s exciting to know thousands of families will now have an easier shopping experience."

The idea to bring Caroline’s Cart to the Bullseye? It came from our own Target family—a team member with a child who has special needs suggested it to our Store Operations team. It was the start of a beautiful partnership.

“Caroline’s Cart can be a game-changer for families, and we’re excited to offer this for our guests across the country,” says Juan Galarraga, senior vice president, Store Operations. “Target is always looking for new ways to make guests feel welcome in our stores and give them a more comfortable shopping experience. We’re always listening to both our guests and team members and making changes based their feedback.”

This is so awesome! Can't wait to see it in-stores.

It's pretty cool to see a Team Member inspired the idea.

I love this! I'm really excited that Target is doing something like this that will benefit a lot of families.

I think some stores may already have them. They were available for stores to order if they had guests who would benefit from it and the STL could get the DTL to sign off on it. I think just shipping them to every store is a much better idea, though.

I think some stores may already have them. They were available for stores to order if they had guests who would benefit from it and the STL could get the DTL to sign off on it. I think just shipping them to every store is a much better idea, though.
They we're testing them in East Coast.. I think I read. I guess the test did well :)

My store has one. It was pretty much just left at self checkout the entire time, not entirely sure why.

I love we have at least one of these. I've seen a couple people use it. Haven't seen any jackassery on them yet.

We have one, i noticed it sitting in the backroom for a while and just recently they put it out on the floor. Think they are a great idea!

The one in my store has probably been used 2 or 3 times in the 6 months we have had it. other then that it has been collectin dust next to the electric carts and wheelchairs

The one in my store has probably been used 2 or 3 times in the 6 months we have had it. other then that it has been collectin dust next to the electric carts and wheelchairs

Our electric carts and wheelchairs are used to the point that we are sometimes "out" of them. As "a team member with a child who has special needs" I am very excited about this. Special needs students from our local schools and adults from adult day cares throughout our area make Target a destination as part of their programs and community integration. This is awesome! It's taken a few years to get Target on board.

Better have it then not, eh?

Our electric carts and wheelchairs are used to the point that we are sometimes "out" of them. As "a team member with a child who has special needs" I am very excited about this. Special needs students from our local schools and adults from adult day cares throughout our area make Target a destination as part of their programs and community integration. This is awesome! It's taken a few years to get Target on board.

This new cart would be awesome for my store during weekday mornings. On Mondays we tend to get a special needs group of kids come and shop.

I've seen ours used only once.

Probally a good thing they sent us just one...

Target is not the first retailer to have them. They have been in stores since 2011, just not on this large of a scale. Military commissaries across the US have had them available since 2014. Target is the largest retailer to order them company-wide. This is a big deal in the disabled community. They don't just "help" with shopping; for many it makes shopping possible.

My store has had this for as long as I've been there (only 6 months, no idea how long before that)

I've yet to see it used by somebody who doesn't need it. The motorized carts are used by everybody from the overweight to the lazy to the crappy teenagers, but this is completely different.

That and the cart has built in breaks that we have on at all times unless someone who legitimately needs it asks us how to turn them off

We've had this since November but it's always young kids pushing their able-bodied friends around. It's annoying.

I hate seeing the morbidly obese "guests" use the powered carts just because they're too fat to ambulate (once they enter the store) on their own. Normally, that wouldn't bother me but it seems ALL I see using them are 300+lbs guests.

I guess nowadays being fat = handicapped.

Stop eating so much fer crissakes!

We've had ours for months. Dtl insisted every store order at least one. It doesn't get used much, but I like that we offer the choice.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1454777145245.jpg
    FB_IMG_1454777145245.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 44
I hate seeing the morbidly obese "guests" use the powered carts just because they're too fat to ambulate (once they enter the store) on their own. Normally, that wouldn't bother me but it seems ALL I see using them are 300+lbs guests.

I guess nowadays being fat = handicapped.

Stop eating so much fer crissakes!

Let's not forget that not every handicap is visible. Just because a person can "ambulate" for 5 or 10 minutes doesn't mean their hearts or bodies are strong enough to handle a shopping excursion without great pain or maybe worse.

And morbidly obese guests are much better off getting out of the house & doing the best they can instead of shutting themselves away & giving up all hope of having any kind of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back