Archived Target Vs Super Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowChick

Expect The Unexpected
So I don't know much about ST's butI have shopped at some a few times. I know their make selection is Huge!!!! I also know they have much more food avenue space and food.

So is there any big differences between the two? Like is the flow process diff? Is there more stuff involved in working at one?

I'm just curious...

And did anyone go from a regular store to a super store? What was your exp like?

I visited a super in Indianapolis. The general merchandise side looks similar. The food side reminded me of a Meijer.

For those not in the Midwest or area, Meijer is like a super WalMart or super target. It was the first, in my area, to combine everything into one. They expanded here in the late 80's early 90's. They are also open 24 hours. They are comparable to Target in cleanliness. Better than WalMart.

Dry grocery items come on the GM truck and the flow process is identical to the rest of the store with the exception of rotating dates on stuff with shorter shelf lives.

Perishable items come palletized on a separate truck from the FDC and are mostly sorted by department except for bakery stuff is always mixed in with the frozen pallet and there's always at least 1 pallet of mixed stuff. 2-3 guys on flow work out the dairy and frozen trucks. They come in, downstack and sort the dairy/frozen pallets onto flats, and take 2 at a time out to the floor to stock. We have 3-4 person meat, produce, bakery, and deli teams that work out their product and pulls and are responsible for backstocking whatever is left over.

I can't comment on the full processes of the perishable teams because they have changed many times over the years. Meat used to have to cut/grind beef before weighing and wrapping it but that's all prepackaged now. Produce used to (might still have?) to have a person that chops up fruit and veggies for trays. A lot of bakery comes in pre-baked and frozen now so a lot of it is just pull from freezer, thaw, and stock. We have a cake decorator that does custom birthday cakes in addition to making the ones on the floor. Deli is similar to a deli at a grocery store. They have 1-2 people at all times that slice up meats/cheeses on request. I don't know if they still make the rest of the sandwiches and salads available or if they come in pre-made and just stocked.

Delis at Supers make their own sandwiches and salads. Produce cuts fruit only for deli fruit trays (at least at my store - all cut fruit production was eliminated in 2014). Our FDC was changed to an automated FDC recently so all produce, meat, deli and some dairy are mixed on the pallets. I've never worked at a regular Target but from what I've gathered from some transferred team members, at a regular target there are one or two team members that oversee all of the food side (Perishables Assistant), but at a Super there is a team for each section. Currently we have four in deli, five in produce, four in bakery and three team members in meat.

Each section on the floor has its own team as well with an ETL overseeing it - Hardlines, Softlines, Market all have their own team with very minimal crossover - though I'm sure that will change in the near future. It also depends on how much money the store makes - the higher the volume, the more team members per section.

Yea that's true. There's usually 2 or 3 guys working in produce. I want to go grocery shopping at a Super Target now!!! Sounds amazing.

I went from a low B PFresh to a AA super. What the others said pretty much sums it up.

The hardest part about getting used to the new store was memorizing the layout. It simply doesn't make sense like PFresh do. The best part has to be the hot box in the deli. I had wings for lunch today and it was great :3

Went from a Regular to a Super. Flow process in our store was always grocery was pushed and back stocked before the store open because we were a 4 am store. SuperT has multiple sampling people every Saturday and Sunday. The different food team leads did not back up cashier....ever. Generally speaking the food team leads were the stronger team leads in the store. Freshness Fridays are an event. A lot of huddles involve eating food too. Steritech visits are intense. ButI really enjoyed the time I spent there.

So I don't know much about ST's butI have shopped at some a few times. I know their make selection is Huge!!!! I also know they have much more food avenue space and food.

So is there any big differences between the two? Like is the flow process diff? Is there more stuff involved in working at one?

I'm just curious...

And did anyone go from a regular store to a super store? What was your exp like?

ST reporting in. The flow process is the same... just a ton more shit. We start in grocery and hba, go through plastics, up to small electrics, back through pictures and frames, turn into furniture down through toys and sporting goods. Hang a left into home improvement/auto, and finish strong through seasonal and office.

Two guys knock out electronics, 2-4 in softlines. When autos are small the backroom team will come out and do sporting goods, then go back to back stocking.

I would say my store has more team members on food side then the rest of the store (a guess) there are always at least 4 in produce, 3-4 in deli, 2 in bakery, 1-2 in meat, 2-3 in dairy/frozen 3-4 in food Ave, 4-6 doing regular grocery stuff

I would say my store has more team members on food side then the rest of the store (a guess) there are always at least 4 in produce, 3-4 in deli, 2 in bakery, 1-2 in meat, 2-3 in dairy/frozen 3-4 in food Ave, 4-6 doing regular grocery stuff

Is this people in the work centers or is this on any given day? Seems like you have a lot more TMs in general.

Our food avenue is really busy all the time. Except for the early morning and late at night

Last edited:
In my mind, working in Market at a Super T would seem to me to be WORLD's easier/better than working at a decently busy PFresh store.. I couldn't imagine having a Bakery TM/Meat TM/etc..

Delis at Supers make their own sandwiches and salads. Produce cuts fruit only for deli fruit trays (at least at my store - all cut fruit production was eliminated in 2014). Our FDC was changed to an automated FDC recently so all produce, meat, deli and some dairy are mixed on the pallets. I've never worked at a regular Target but from what I've gathered from some transferred team members, at a regular target there are one or two team members that oversee all of the food side (Perishables Assistant), but at a Super there is a team for each section. Currently we have four in deli, five in produce, four in bakery and three team members in meat.

Each section on the floor has its own team as well with an ETL overseeing it - Hardlines, Softlines, Market all have their own team with very minimal crossover - though I'm sure that will change in the near future. It also depends on how much money the store makes - the higher the volume, the more team members per section.

My Super Target still does cut fruit in produce (capped strawberries, 4 sectioned fruit trays, etc.)

The Super Target I work at was the first Target I ever shopped at, and if I would've just went to a GM or PFresh first, I probably wouldn't go back. They are just underwhelming to me because I like the massive grocery selection.

Steritech used to scare most people on the food side for us until our FDC went automatic. Since organic is constantly mixed in with regular produce Steritech has lifted the questions about organics at our store. Now steritech visits are a cakewalk.

Steritech used to scare most people on the food side for us until our FDC went automatic. Since organic is constantly mixed in with regular produce Steritech has lifted the questions about organics at our store. Now steritech visits are a cakewalk.
Imagine if the people that only buy organic found out...they would riot about cross contamination between non organic and organic foods.

Also items go clearance sooner at a Target than at a Super Target because Super Targets are bigger and have more shelf space. So they can hold merchandise longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back