Targets locks

azure

Service Advocate
What has never made sense to me was why there are so many keys. I feel like target should modernize this section and get a smarter key system. They could add fingerprint scanners to so many things and make things so much quicker for team members. They could easily make a all in one system too. They could make it so your fingerprint could clock you in or sign you into a register or unlock the equipment room and lockup. For electronics we should get smart keys that all electronics team members and leaders get using a company such as invue similar to what best buy or micro center does. For the waves and crowns they should add the keypads that crown builds for the machines and give all certified team members codes. I just feel like they could make everyone’s job so much easier if they just put a little bit of money and effort into something pretty simple and smart. This would mean they could also add more security cases as more team members would have keys all the time. Thoughts?

What has never made sense to me was why there are so many keys. I feel like target should modernize this section and get a smarter key system. They could add fingerprint scanners to so many things and make things so much quicker for team members. They could easily make a all in one system too. They could make it so your fingerprint could clock you in or sign you into a register or unlock the equipment room and lockup. For electronics we should get smart keys that all electronics team members and leaders get using a company such as invue similar to what best buy or micro center does. For the waves and crowns they should add the keypads that crown builds for the machines and give all certified team members codes. I just feel like they could make everyone’s job so much easier if they just put a little bit of money and effort into something pretty simple and smart. This would mean they could also add more security cases as more team members would have keys all the time. Thoughts?
I think all of those things would be awesome, I just don't see it happening because of the up front cost. Will it save money in the long run? Sure but to retro fit everything will be expensive.

I have always thought they should figure out digital sale signs similar to Kohl's. It would eliminate so much waste and save so much payroll.

I feel you on the Tech/Electronics smart keys.

Anything biometric will likely not happen again with the amount of turnover we have.
We go through literal thousands of Team Members a year across all stores. I'd hate to be the guy at Corporate enabling and disabling access for Team Members who sometimes don't even make it a whole day.

I wish they'd just roll out the nice City/Small Format/HQ ID badges to more stores. They're coded to your job role and can be edited on the computer, and everything can be controlled by it. Bailer? Slap your badge on the panel. TMSC access? Slap the badge on the pad. Locking or unlocking perimeter, stockroom, or fixture room doors? Slap that mother friggin badge there.

And you can add/remove permissions to an extent. Minor TM? Don't give them bailer access. Store key carrier? Add master key permissions. SETL or Cash Office trained? Add CO or mantrap access.

Super duper streamlined and they look nice.

I wish they'd just roll out the nice City/Small Format/HQ ID badges to more stores. They're coded to your job role and can be edited on the computer, and everything can be controlled by it. Bailer? Slap your badge on the panel. TMSC access? Slap the badge on the pad. Locking or unlocking perimeter, stockroom, or fixture room doors? Slap that mother friggin badge there.

And you can add/remove permissions to an extent. Minor TM? Don't give them bailer access. Store key carrier? Add master key permissions. SETL or Cash Office trained? Add CO or mantrap access.

From a liability standpoint these are amazing. It eliminates the need for recore if keys go missing or get stolen, which in the long run pays off the upgrade costs. Would love to see these rolled out in more stores 😫🤧

Call me old fashioned but something about not turning a physical lock would make me worry all night long if I locked the store or not

what do these look like?

There is a reason why there are so many. It's done this way by design. If everything had the same key, the loss of one key would mean a full recore.

The HID-Card/badge option is probably the most efficient solution, but in order for them to implement this there would need to be some level of cost-offset.

Stores already have keys, they already have locks, they already have processes. Changing it would make your life a little easier yes...but the current status-quo is effective, so the cost to replace it would be seen as extraneous.

I love the idea of RFID based badges, which are attached to ID cards issued. With that said, it doesn't help with the cases themselves in Tech. We have an issue where all of the cases but one are on one key and then the last one is on an older key. I heard that because someone lost their keys that they had to re-core all the cases, but they were one core short.

I love the idea of RFID based badges, which are attached to ID cards issued. With that said, it doesn't help with the cases themselves in Tech. We have an issue where all of the cases but one are on one key and then the last one is on an older key. I heard that because someone lost their keys that they had to re-core all the cases, but they were one core short.
Your ap etl can get a new core just ask. Cores break so that have the ability to order new ones.

what do these look like?
They look like your average ID badge. It's a bunch of red and white targets kinda like the TM discount card with a photo of the TM in vertical format. Contractors and HQ vendors get black ones instead of red; if you get a remodel you might see a bunch of people come in with them on.

Keys are reliable, access control systems are not. It’s also impractical for stores larger than small formats or group/regional office stores because the cards only access specific doors. The company also isn’t going hand out keys to TMs.

Keys are reliable, access control systems are not. It’s also impractical for stores larger than small formats or group/regional office stores because the cards only access specific doors. The company also isn’t going hand out keys to TMs.
You can make access control system keys smart. For example the keys only work when your on the clock or when activated by a scanner in the tsc then deactivates when you clock out or after 10 hours. For ETLs and TLs they are always active. It would be cool if a team members got the keys that corporate has like people are talking about. They could even make it so you scan the barcode on the back of your key in myday to activate it and it automatically turns off when the device is placed in a charger or signed out of myday. Or for cashiers their first time scanning it they have to type in their passcode and if they manually sign into a register with their key also active it will deactivate the key making it so when scanned it needs the code again and stays active for 8 hours or until clocked out or manually signed in. They can easily get temporary key cards too in case you forget your or lost it. They could make it so you manage your key on the time clock.

Last edited:
I think the fact that team members could lose it makes it a bad idea.
Team members can lose regular keys and there isn’t anything anyone can do about it except replace the key with another key still having the lost key out there with someone or somewhere unknown. But with a smart key like corporate has it can be easily deactivated through a control system. It’s like the smart drive up doors that are being installed at some targets. The drive up keys can open a door to the building. The system automatically locks the door after store hours and is even able to deactivate keys on its own if not used for a certain amount of time. The keys are extremely difficult to clone. The AP ETL is able to order new key fobs and manage all them through a website. The key fobs are simple just RFID. They only cost like 20 cents each or something insanely cheap.

There are easy ways they can do things with RFID and other methods to allow for access control. There are also ways they can do fob plus pin, or something like that.

The real issue would be the locked cases and other cages that wouldn't be that easy to make an electronic lock.

There are easy ways they can do things with RFID and other methods to allow for access control. There are also ways they can do fob plus pin, or something like that.

The real issue would be the locked cases and other cages that wouldn't be that easy to make an electronic lock.
They would have to redo all the cases that use keys unfortunately but the system wouldn’t cost too much more than custom cores and keys. It would probably be $35 per case. They could also use a system like invue for electronics. They could probably pretty easily also make it so when a mydevice in mywork scans the case barcode it unlocks it. For things like electronics and lockup that’s what I think they could pretty easily do. They should just add barcodes to all the locks and just make a locking system.

They would have to redo all the cases that use keys unfortunately but the system wouldn’t cost too much more than custom cores and keys. It would probably be $35 per case. They could also use a system like invue for electronics. They could probably pretty easily also make it so when a mydevice in mywork scans the case barcode it unlocks it. For things like electronics and lockup that’s what I think they could pretty easily do. They should just add barcodes to all the locks and just make a locking system.
If we had to scan the mydevice on a scanner, we could make the barcode or qr code on the mydevice have a expiration on it. If it was the mydevice doing the scanning, just a pin number like we already use could do the trick.

If we had to scan the mydevice on a scanner, we could make the barcode or qr code on the mydevice have a expiration on it. If it was the mydevice doing the scanning, just a pin number like we already use could do the trick.
The mydevice would scan the barcode on the case. You would need the device pin and be signed in.

Back