Archived Tarzhay

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about this French pronunciation people give to Target? It apparently started right after Target started opening its first stores.

It was fun when I was a kid. Now that I work there and have to overhear everyone on their phones use it like they came up with it and are super clever, I want to rage-punch everyone who says it that way.

I like it because Target stuff is basically Walmart stuff with buyers that know what people actually want to own.

It's ironic because 'Muricans associate France with high-end fanciness but then you visit Paris IRL and it's actually a shithole

I used to work in an office where most people wore suits and one of the guys had rather high standards about his clothes. (He really did dress very nicely.) But he got a lot of teasing about not being willing to shop at Target for anything other than maybe boxers and t-shirts. My boss pronounced it this way when talking to Mr. GQ.

From wiki:
TargétEdit
Some people jokingly give Target the pseudo-French pronunciation /tɑːrˈʒeɪ/ tar-ZHAY, as though it were an upscale boutique. Though this practice is often attributed to Oprah Winfrey's usage on her television show, it is first attested in 1962, the year the first Target store opened. Target once sold a line of shoes called "Miss Targé"[126] this was reinforced by a 1980s television advertisement starring Didi Conn. This pronunciation has also led some people to incorrectly believe that the company is French-owned.[5] In recognition of the nickname's popularity and cachet, Target Corporation licensed its name and logo to Brand Central LLC in 2006, complete with accent over the letter "E" (though this is not correct French spelling) for a new line of clothing intended for more upscale fashion customers. The line, "Targét Couture", was originally sold at Los Angeles-based store Intuition, which deals with high-end brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back