Archived Team Lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had the idea of wanting to become a TL I’m about to be a year next month.Latley I’ve felt like my TL likes me because I always talk about how my sales are going(softlines).I’m always on it about my VMGS and reorganizing my area. I’ve even mention to her I want to learn the whole store so I can help out everywhere. I also know that in group huddles the store director always gives me recognition, if they make me feel this good why don’t they promote me to a TL? Is it because I’m a soft line tm?

Bring a good worker doesn’t necessarily make someone a good leader. What do you bring to the table in that regard? Have you asked about being put into a developmental/pipeline process?

Style is such an entirely different world than the rest of the store. Focus first on learning more areas and their processes first. Your store is probably either at headcount (a lot of stores had new TL positions open this spring so they’re filled now) or they need a TL in an area you don’t know yet. Get a mentor and keep showing initiative, retain as much as possible that they teach you in the rest of the store.

You’re a softlines tm, and a good one according to yourself.
This means two things, if your SL is anything like our store, you are constantly buried and can’t even fathom helping out/training in other areas. Also, it means that they’ll milk your goodness for as long as they can, without giving you TL pay.

Ive had the idea of wanting to become a TL I’m about to be a year next month.Latley I’ve felt like my TL likes me because I always talk about how my sales are going(softlines).I’m always on it about my VMGS and reorganizing my area. I’ve even mention to her I want to learn the whole store so I can help out everywhere. I also know that in group huddles the store director always gives me recognition, if they make me feel this good why don’t they promote me to a TL? Is it because I’m a soft line tm?
I was a softlines tm, . I wasn’t just a good team never , I took initiative and did more than just my area , I delegated tasks to other team members when no leads were schedule . I lead the team without being told to . A good team member doesn’t necessarily makes a tl , you are a Follower not thinking as a leader. Not putting you down by any means. I’m all about managing and executing something that has made me a very strong leader in logistics . Think like a leader not as a team member .

I was a softlines tm, . I wasn’t just a good team never , I took initiative and did more than just my area , I delegated tasks to other team members when no leads were schedule . I lead the team without being told to . A good team member doesn’t necessarily makes a tl , you are a Follower not thinking as a leader. Not putting you down by any means. I’m all about managing and executing something that has made me a very strong leader in logistics . Think like a leader not as a team member .
What’s ways to think like a leader? For them to see? If im thinking like a leader then I’m not being a tm to do what I really need to do.

But didn’t you ever want to know you were in charged and getting paid for it and having the name TL instead of TM?
And not really did I answer my question because then I’m not doing my job description just for them not to schedule me as much because I’m not doing what their asking me too.

Be proactive. Make plans in your area to avoid rework. Be someone to look up to by your peers. Shove positive attitude and ❤ for target down everyone’s throat...and be believable.
Be global. Don’t just be concerned about your area.
Don’t show stress when plans change at the last second that ruins your plans. Be able to adjust while shoving a positive attitude down their throats.
Just because your tl likes you, doesn’t mean you can promote. You have to impress the SD and dsd. The tl doesn’t mean shit in your ability to promote.

I have a lot of great TMs that will never be TLs.

Make sure your area is amazing. Find ways to do your job more efficiently. If I give you four hours to do something, get it done in three. Teach others how to do things. This is big, because being a leader means teaching people to be better. Always be the person that runs up on code because you know your area will be fine or offer to pick a sfs batch when it’s busy.

Network. Ask other TLs how to do little things (like making a new backroom location sticker for a worn out one). Don’t look like you’re untrained, but be helpful and willing to learn in the eyes of all the TLs.

Don’t do dumb shit. Don’t call out or be late all the time. If you’re done working hit the time clock before you get your stuff. Don’t take thirty minute bathroom breaks. Don’t get caught gossiping with other tms instead of working (chat while working). Don’t get into pissing matches with other tms.

I have a lot of great TMs that will never be TLs.

Make sure your area is amazing. Find ways to do your job more efficiently. If I give you four hours to do something, get it done in three. Teach others how to do things. This is big, because being a leader means teaching people to be better. Always be the person that runs up on code because you know your area will be fine or offer to pick a sfs batch when it’s busy.

Network. Ask other TLs how to do little things (like making a new backroom location sticker for a worn out one). Don’t look like you’re untrained, but be helpful and willing to learn in the eyes of all the TLs.

Don’t do dumb shit. Don’t call out or be late all the time. If you’re done working hit the time clock before you get your stuff. Don’t take thirty minute bathroom breaks. Don’t get caught gossiping with other tms instead of working (chat while working). Don’t get into pissing matches with other tms.
🙄

How much influence does a TL have ? To promote a good tm, to move a bad tm ?
If a TL and a TM can absolutely NOT get along, can a TL request (and get) a tm out of their team ?

Partner with your ETL and (E)TL HR and tell them what’s going on. What the TM has been doing, what steps you’ve taken to get them on board with the way things need to be, the resistance you’ve met and steps you’ve taken to correct the further detrimental problem. Ask them what other steps you can take including changing departments before the TMs end up being performsned out. The ETLs might be happier to see them get termed than cross trained. 🤷‍♀️

As far as getting one promoted you’ll have to partner again about getting them mentored for TL.

If a TL and a TM can absolutely NOT get along, can a TL request (and get) a tm out of their team ?
TLs handle all coachings and they are most influential in moving a team member to corrective action, final, or termination. As far as moving that TM, it's likely up to the TM to talk to HR or another ETL about changing departments. If performance is an issue then other TLs or ETLs would be hesitant to take that TM. Most likely is that the TL has performance conversations with the team member until TM is placed on a final and termed or more than likely just gets tired of it and quits.

As far as promoting, there's really nothing more than a recommendation and mentoring TMs to succeed when they have an opportunity. Unfortunately there aren't any positions between TM and TL anymore that can be considered a promotion. They do have some say in annual reviews but at the end of the day that's the SD/ETL HRs discretion based on budget.

Is in insubordination, or personality clash?
The former requires disciplinary actions, the later requires the leader to lead by example and take reasonable steps to reduce the friction.

I only worked at Target part-time, so i could never have been a TL.
I saved most of my energies for my full-time job elsewhere.
I DID however take along dozens of team members out on my super limo rides with me, so those were my contributions towards high team member morale :):)

As far as promoting, there's really nothing more than a recommendation and mentoring TMs to succeed when they have an opportunity. Unfortunately there aren't any positions between TM and TL anymore that can be considered a promotion. They do have some say in annual reviews but at the end of the day that's the SD/ETL HRs discretion based on budget.

Stores should be using Closing Expert as a developmental / prove yourself position. That's how it sounds like it's intended to be used in the modernization guide anyway.

Stores should be using Closing Expert as a developmental / prove yourself position. That's how it sounds like it's intended to be used in the modernization guide anyway.
We’ve started taking the high performing TMs and offering them the role also as a way to keep them from ending up burnt out; give them a chance to experience the other side of modernization, to help pick up the pieces like the leaders do. Basically grooming them to become the hands-off leaders modernization desires lol

That’s not true at all
Asants. In all 8 stores I’ve workes in, in 3 districts, tls have nothing to do with grooming someone for a promotion. Kiss the etl ass and they’ll give you a special project, an area during a prime time, etc. prove yourself and the etl/hr/SD will prep you for interviews. If they send you without prepping you, you don’t really have their support.

Asants. In all 8 stores I’ve workes in, in 3 districts, tls have nothing to do with grooming someone for a promotion. Kiss the etl ass and they’ll give you a special project, an area during a prime time, etc. prove yourself and the etl/hr/SD will prep you for interviews. If they send you without prepping you, you don’t really have their support.
The whole point of a TL is to groom TMs. Both stores I’ve worked at my ETL/SD has asked my opinion on TMs for promotions to either GSA, fellow TL spots or just if I think they would be a good replacement. Both going from TL to Senior and now on my way out to another position my SD has taken my consideration as to who should replace me. Granted it might now seem like there isn’t someone directly saying “promote him/her” but in my situation for example I saw potential in this TM and spent a lot of time with them teaching and training them to one day replace me. The best way to get promoted is to groom a TM to replace you. I guess a TL isn’t saying promote him/her and it gets done but they definitely have influence over TMs.

The whole point and what really happens is different. Especially in lower volume where the tl does all the work. Before modernization dayside had 2-3 tls scheduled only. Not enough payroll to schedule someone to delegate to.
Sure now that we have modernization there are tms to delegate to, but our tls are all struggling or failing, they don’t have time to groom, or they don’t know what qualities are necessary because they can’t master it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back