Archived Team leader to ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a TL and was wanting to become an ETL. Does anyone know the requirements? and what is the process like to become one? I know interviews (duhh) but what else? I heard being an internal TM and going to ETL is much different compared to someone outside the company! Any help would be great!!

Spot isn't that good on internal promotions of tm's. Search our forums, there are several threads on this topic & see below.

I am a TL and was wanting to become an ETL. Does anyone know the requirements? and what is the process like to become one? I know interviews (duhh) but what else? I heard being an internal TM and going to ETL is much different compared to someone outside the company! Any help would be great!!

You have to have a 4 year degree. Work hard. Make EVERYONE your friend. Get support form other ETL's and STL's. Don't let anyone here discourage you, because it is perfectly doable. I was a Christmas hire and I'll be a ETL by the end of the summer. I've been with company for 1.5 years.

Internal promotions are more common than what people think. I mean it probably varies by district, but in my district in the past 6 months have internally promoted 6 or 7 to ETL and theres probably 5 more that are going through the process right now. They do require a 4 year degree, but if that is something you are working on that might work in your favor too. The only thing that can potentially hold an internal promote back, is that the district wants wants you/expects you to know EVERYTHING ALREADY. So my suggestion would be too, 1) make sure your stepping outside your work center as often as possible. 2) Dazzle your STL and ETL's. If you don't have their support, forget it. Your toast! 3) Remember to "drink" the red "Koolade" by also be yourself. They really can tell when people are being fake. 4) Get yourself a Mentor outside of your building, the more you can put your name out there, the better your going to be.. I could go on and on so I'm stopping now before I write a novel.

I saw one today. SrTL to ETL. Just like that!

STL put everything together pretty well and fits my profile pretty well. I've already been offered the job and will be an ETL in a couple months, it's perfectly doable, no matter what others ITT may say.

At my store, last tl to etl, done internally was about 7 years ago. No one since then.

Have there been any TLs with degree's?

My store has 3, when mine is finished this spring, so are your TLs qualified? My store has a few TLs that are awesome and would be great ETLs, but have no interest in getting their degrees.

Target doesn't hate promoting internally, but they are sticklers about that whole "being qualified" thing.

Target doesn't hate promoting internally, but they are sticklers about that whole "being qualified" thing.

I'm going to tell you this-- Degree or not, if your DTL really wants you as an ETL, they'll make it happen. If you are a Sr.TL and are truly outstanding at what you, and have a great relationship with the DTL, you'll get promoted. It almost never happens, but very rarely someone will stand out so much so that the DTL promotes them to ETL without having a degree.. (as long as they say they're "working" towards obtaining one)

Have there been any TLs with degree's?
My store has 3, when mine is finished this spring, so are your TLs qualified? My store has a few TLs that are awesome and would be great ETLs, but have no interest in getting their degrees.

We have 2 tl's & srtl with degrees that partnered w/etl "mentored" a few times. They have been with spot 5 years or more, no jobs open right now, by our old Stl. There maybe some Hope with the new Stl we have now.

I think the reason the no "internal promotions" idea is so strong is due to the fact that no one has a bachelors degree thus you never see anyone get promoted. I mean - think about it? How many TMs at your store have a bachelors degree? Not a lesser degree like an associates or "some college", but an actual bachelors degree? I know at my store no one - no TM or TL - had a bachelors degree. Hell, I was the only one below ETL level that even had an associates degree. Also, remember that target does not accept online degrees like Devry or University of Phoenix, so that knocks a lot of people out right away.

Also - some TMs bull sh** about having a degree. For example, I interviewed a TM one time (that we hired). During the interview she was bragging to me that she had just gotten her GED and was so proud of herself. She actually brought the GED to show me, and sure enough she had just gotten it. (really you don't even need a GED to be a TM)

A few *months* later I overheard her bragging to other TMs that she had a four year degree in computer engineering.....

So moral of the story? If a person is working at target as a TM that is pretty much your first clue that they do not have a degree.

Last edited:
I think the reason the no "internal promotions" idea is so strong is due to the fact that no one has a bachelors degree thus you never see anyone get promoted. I mean - think about it? How many TMs at your store have a bachelors degree? Not a lesser degree like an associates or "some college", but an actual bachelors degree? I know at my store no one - no TM or TL - had a bachelors degree. Hell, I was the only one below ETL level that even had an associates degree. Also, remember that target does not accept online degrees like Devry or University of Phoenix, so that knocks a lot of people out right away.

Also - some TMs bull sh** about having a degree. For example, I interviewed a TM one time (that we hired). During the interview she was bragging to me that she had just gotten her GED and was so proud of herself. She actually brought the GED to show me, and sure enough she had just gotten it. (really you don't even need a GED to be a TM)

A few *months* later I overheard her bragging to other TMs that she had a four year degree.....

So moral of the story? If a person is working at target as a TM that is pretty much your first clue that they do not have a degree.

I know of quite a few TMs, including myself, who have an "actual" 4 year bachelor's degree.

i have an actual degree. its funny i actually started working at target because i had gone back to school to get a post graduate certificate. its funny i wonder how many in leadership just assume that since you are less than an ETL that you must be without a degree since most of them (the new ones anyway) just started with this being their first job out of college.

I know of quite a few TMs, including myself, who have an "actual" 4 year bachelor's degree.

Then, and I mean no disrespect by this, what are you doing working at Target? Don't you realize you could be making 5 times as much money working outside of retail, better benefits, and better working conditions?

Even if you just really like target, why not apply for the ETL postings that are almost always up on Target.com?

Do you have a felony/drug conviction/bad credit/etc that is keeping you at Target?

I do it too. Some have multi degrees.

How could people afford multiple degrees working at Target? You know they no longer give you financial aid after the first degree, right? That means those TMs with more than one degree would have to be paying 20-50K out of pocket for each additional degree.... no way they are doing that on a TM wage.

How could people afford multiple degrees working at Target? You know they no longer give you financial aid after the first degree, right? That means those TMs with more than one degree would have to be paying 20-50K out of pocket for each additional degree.... no way they are doing that on a TM wage.

Some folks were laid off & still looking for jobs in their choice of field. Which are very hard to find in my area.
I don't ask how theyre paying it. I am just glad to have a hard worker & great gs from them.

Then, and I mean no disrespect by this, what are you doing working at Target? Don't you realize you could be making 5 times as much money working outside of retail, better benefits, and better working conditions?

Even if you just really like target, why not apply for the ETL postings that are almost always up on Target.com?

Do you have a felony/drug conviction/bad credit/etc that is keeping you at Target?

Some tm's are waiting for job opps outside of retail. Spot is good for a part time gig for extra bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back