Archived Team Member Accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone....i have a general question and would like some advice.
despite my username im no longer a flow noob lol but the situation that happened at my store is a team member from flow accused another team member of stealing some items from electronics. Now i know he accused him because i was pushing on the backwall and overheard him tell the flow team leader. the conversation went on so long i was even able to record it on my mydevice as proof. not only that but the way he talked about him it was like he was sabotaging his reputation (because he has an interview for a tl position friday morning).

in my opinion i think the team member should have just gone to ap about the matter instead of telling someone out in the open like that.

should i call the integrity hotline or bring it up with hr tonight or tomorrow? what are procedures for things like this and should i give the team member a heads up?

I would have gone to ap,but you can't really fault anyone for going to their tl ,things like that should always be done in private ,as Hardlinesmaster said , recording other peoples conversations can be bad , and depending on where you live it can be illegal.

The tm telling the flow Tl was the right thing to do but they should have done it in the office. Your Flow Tl is going to give that information to AP and they are going to start investigating. If he did nothing, there's nothing to worry about. I would talk.
We have a seasonal hire stealing people's food, and sweatshirts from tsc. We told the Tl on the floor but nobody was around and we were quiet. And our AP wasn't in at the time to tell.

I would have gone to ap,but you can't really fault anyone for going to their tl ,things like that should always be done in private ,as Hardlinesmaster said , recording other peoples conversations can be bad , and depending on where you live it can be illegal.

gotcha. i'll delete it but it definitely should have been talked about in an office.

gotcha. i'll delete it but it definitely should have been talked about in an office.
Yes those types of things are supposed to be discussed off stage. But you really can't expect a TM to just know that. It's not exactly a common situation, so maybe the TM didn't know how to react professionally. The fact that you overheard the conversation just means that you need to keep your mouth shut about it, and do NOT tip off the TM in question of theft. :D

Recording any conversation, even if it's between you and a TM, can and WILL get you fired. Read your employee handbook. I would delete it, and never mention to anyone you did this.

I don't know of any better documentation than recording a conversation on a Target device that was being held in a "public" area. It's not like they were in an office and you did it on a PERSONAL device...

Also, I believe there is something in the handbook about using personal devices to record/take pictures and posting them on social media, but I know of nothing that would cover a situation like this. Also, the laws usually don't cover situations like this. Conversations being held in PUBLIC areas are "free game," so to speak. The only thing laws usually cover is when one party in the conversation is recording it....the same thing applies to photos/videos. If you're in a "public" area (and yes, your place of work is considered a "public" space unless you work from your home,) you're not really protected by privacy laws.

Check under social media policy.
I don't see anything about being termed for recording anything. I do see that cause work related troubles in social media can affect your job but no etl is going to fire you for recording info they don't even know about that was said within earshot in a public area of the store

I don't see anything about being termed for recording anything. I do see that cause work related troubles in social media can affect your job but no etl is going to fire you for recording info they don't even know about that was said within earshot in a public area of the store

We are making assumptions, based on info provided. This an hr matter & they need to talk their mgt or call the hotline. Inside target is not considered a public place, it is private property.

We are making assumptions, based on info provided. This an hr matter & they need to talk their mgt or call the hotline. Inside target is not considered a public place, it is private property.

Here is some useful links about recording conversations in the workplace... use this information at your own risk. Even though certain laws allow recording in the workplace, it is still against policy at Target, and most other employers. Typically, these prohibitions are applied in anti-camera/recording policies under social media or cellular phone policies. I would not recommend recording conversations... Not only can it against policy, but do you want to seen by your managers and coworkers as someone may be recording their conversation? Also, just because you recorded the conversations doesn't mean the company has to take action on it... It may be admissible in a court of law, but a store team leader can refuse to listen or act on the information provided.

The important takeaway from these links... Many states only require 'one-party' consent to recording conversations. That means that one person actively involved in the conversation needs to give consent to the recording... Even if the person doing the recording is the person giving consent. The key words are "Actively involved." If you weren't involved in the conversation... Sorry, the one-person consent rule (if you are in such a state) doesn't apply.

Can I Secretly Record a Conversation at Work?

Login

“They Can’t Do That, Can They?” Employees and covert recordings in the workplace | Bingham Greenebaum Doll LLP

Should they had gone to ap? Sure. Maybe they didn't feel comfortable going to ap so they decided the Tl route instead. However, they should had asked to speak to the TL in private. Talking about something like that on the floor and within earshot of others should be a big no no. The Tl should had moved the conversation off stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back