Terminated

Due to an accident happen on last Saturday I just got terminated today. It sucks. Worked for 9 months and I was doing well and it just bad to be something happen on a weekend. What a rotten luck I have. Now have to wait 90 days to reapply. Do I need to apply online again and answer the questions or can I call the manager to ask if I can have the job back? How does it work?

What was the accident? I'm assuming that if they termed you it was because the determined it was due to negligence. If you're termed you're almost certainly keyed as non-rehirable. I'd definitely start applying elsewhere. You can call the manager if you think it would help, but in my experience that just isn't going to do anything for you.

Only accident I ever saw in the back room was a guy dropped a bale with only 2 wires, chains tight, ram up----BAM ! blew to pieces when it hit the blue pallet. Awesome!

Due to an accident happen on last Saturday I just got terminated today. It sucks. Worked for 9 months and I was doing well and it just bad to be something happen on a weekend. What a rotten luck I have. Now have to wait 90 days to reapply. Do I need to apply online again and answer the questions or can I call the manager to ask if I can have the job back? How does it work?
Sorry you've been kicked out of Target for this mistake, which reflects a normal risk faced by cart attendants. Sometimes there's only a split second when some car swerves out in front of your carts. Usually a firing at Target is because of blatant dishonesty, stealing money or merchandise, intentionally injuring a co-worker or guest, intentionally damaging company property, or serious absenteeism. If your description is accurate, you did not engage in what's called "willful misconduct", insubordination or theft.

Firing seems to be an excessive punishment, but employment-at-will laws allow this kind of immediate firing. Most of us who work at Target, myself included, have found that if you are honest about your mistakes Target will give you a second chance. Cart attendant losing control of the carts when a car comes out of nowhere in the parking lot isn't a typical cause for firing. Somebody in your store's management has some other agenda going on. Sad.:mad:

Last edited:
Sorry you've been kicked out of Target for this mistake, which reflects a normal risk faced by cart attendants. Sometimes there's only a split second when some car swerves out in front of your carts. Usually a firing at Target is because of blatant dishonesty, stealing money or merchandise, intentionally injuring a co-worker or guest, intentionally damaging company property, or serious absenteeism. If your description is accurate, you did not engage in what's called "willful misconduct", insubordination or theft.

Firing seems to be an excessive punishment, but employment-at-will laws allow this kind of immediate firing. Most of us who work at Target, myself included, have found that if you are honest about your mistakes Target will give you a second chance. Cart attendant losing control of the carts when a car comes out of nowhere in the parking lot isn't a typical cause for firing. Somebody in your store's management has some other agenda going on. Sad.:mad:
Looks like based on the thread if I’m reading it right according to a post near the bottom OP also hit a pregnant guest which IMO combined with hitting a car in the same week is probably not a hidden agenda by management

I think it was the same event. The same loose carts hit both a car and a guest.

Yep, much more liability hitting a pregnant guest. Missed that part of the thread.

Oh.... well still hitting a pregnant guest is not good, much worse than just scratching a car.
OP was vague about the carts and a pregnant guest, which is why I kept mentioning "if your account is true". So the big question: was this accidental or intentional? In my observations, I see TMs who occasionally make accidental mistakes, they clearly get coached and perhaps written up but not fired unless the SD and HR figure it was intentional, deliberate, malicious, whatever you want to call it. Our store has high standards and doesn't tolerate intentional bad behavior, so that's why I was a bit startled at why this cart attendant was terminated. Yeah, there is a liability issue and this is definitely not a good thing, but I am not seeing where the cart attendant behaved deliberately to harm others. "Accident" means something which was accidental, not planned in advance or intended to happen.

In fairness there might be more to this story than we've been told by OP. ASANTS.

Last edited:
That's called a cost of doing business as a big company. No company, big or small, is immune from premises liability claims even if they are truly baseless. That's why companies like Target purchase insurance policies with various policy provisions and coverages. The insurance adjusters and their lawyers play a key part in managing Target's defense along with Target's corporate lawyers and their external hired legal counsel.

Although the SD and ETL will not discuss this with TMs in the store, saying only "the cart attendant is no longer employed with Target", the Target SD and ETLs fired the cart attendant to send a chilling reminder to anyone in their store that "you are replaceable". I'm biting my tongue at this point.

Although the SD and ETL will not discuss this with TMs in the store, saying only "the cart attendant is no longer employed with Target", the Target SD and ETLs fired the cart attendant to send a chilling reminder to anyone in their store that "you are replaceable". I'm biting my tongue at this point.

There is a lot of shady shit done by Target to their employees, but I can just about guarantee you that there was no message being sent to team members other than "if you are unsafe with the machinery we train you on and you hit a guest and a guest's car, you are replaceable." I'm assuming the HR looked in their binder for a similar situation, the binder recommended termination, they termed the TM that had the accident. While I'm sure there are plenty of managers that set out to send "chilling reminders," many of them are just doing their job the same as you.

Depends on how loud and far the pregnant woman yelled. If she had a fit to corporate and demanded payment for a doctor checkup (even if it was just a bitty bruise and not a real threat), yep that person's gone.

Even if it’s a big liability, firing over one incident seems excessive, unless there has been a pattern of carelessness. If there were no issues before that incident, a final warning seems more appropriate.

Even if it’s a big liability, firing over one incident seems excessive, unless there has been a pattern of carelessness. If there were no issues before that incident, a final warning seems more appropriate.
That seems like a rational approach. How was the cart attendant TM to know this lady happened to be pregnant? I suspect this so-called guest read the riot act to corporate, and when it bucked down to the district and the SD, they took the easy way out. Target has the legal right to screw this cart attendant, they don't legally need a reason for firing under employment-at-will, so Target exercised that right.

Back